Guide to searching Auno

Post here to share information about places you've been, tips you have, or anything you feel would be worthwhile for others to know about.
EDTA
Moderaidtor

Guide to searching Auno

Post by EDTA » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:30 pm

In this topic I'll try to give as much hints on searching http://auno.org/ and hope others can give some more.

When I know the name of the item I'm searching for, I usually use the "search-engine plug-in" for Firefox. This can be installed by scrolling down on auno's mainpage (link above) and clicking the "here"-link. There is also a link to dowload Firefox over there. EDIT: I had a little problem getting the search plugin on my freshly installed computer since it doesn't seem to be on auno's website anymore (can't find it). I found one on this site: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engine ... ategory=65" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (it's in the list somewhere, it's called "Placid's Auno Search").

Often you'll be searching for an item you don't have a name for. For example: "I need more MC, lets search for all the items buffing MC." or "My helmet is crap, lets search for another head-item."
For that you need the Item database (advanced search engine).
I'll now shortly discuss all the search options over there, though most are self-explanatory:

Search: Used when you know the name, as said I use the plugin for this. If you want more advanced search options the plugin is useless offcourse
*Hint from Rain: Wildcards work on Auno. so if you dont remember the full name of an item, you can for example replace an unknown amount of letters with an % (ie: %azure%). Helpful in certain situations.

Patch: I never touched this, but others told me how it can be useful:
* Saavick: I find this a nice way to find out what's new after an update. On the top of the page you can see how uptodate Auno is (Auno.org: 17.7.2 | Live servers: 17.7.2_EP1 | Test servers: 17.7.2.1) so if a new patch was done and auno has been updated to reflect this, you could search on Add 17.5 and will find all the Miy armour that has been added in that patch.
*Mikro: Patch is useful sometimes. Like when I was searching for IS gun that I can not remember namo of. I did know name of skull of **** weapons tho, and since whole dungeon was added at same time you just check the patch at skull and search for all weapons added with that patch =)

Type + Slot: Fill this in when you are looking for a particular kind of item, i.e. when you pick "type:armor" and "slot: head" you'll be searching for helmets (and hoods and such...).

QL: I usually don't change this, but when you are getting too much results, you might pick qualities in the range you expect the most interesting results for you.

Breed+Profession+Gender+Faction: To reduce the number of hits, it really is a good idea to switch the first drop down menu to "at least" (4 times) and the second drop down menu to the Breed/Profession/Gender/Faction of your toon. In all 4 cases you can also use the "only"-choice to check out what cool items you have specific for a certain breed/prof/gender/faction.

Items usable at least by: An alternative for the "At Least"-stuff explained above is picking your dimension and typing your character-name over here. It is easier, but it requires your character to be in the character database. You can add yourself to it by searching your name here (just type in exact name, no need to specify prof and such). When you are not in the database it will say so and you can click "Add as a new character".

Item properties: Can be useful, especially to search for special-attacks or to see what you can wear with social armor, but I never used this so far (I'm NT, no weapons for me :P). You can select multiple choices by holding CTRL while clicking.

Arbitrary conditions: This is the part I assume fewest people will know how to use, since it's the most complicated. It's very useful though.

How does it work? Simple, just pick something from the first drop down menu; i.e. "Effects"; and something from the second, i.e. "Matter Creation"; and click "Add". An (extra) line saying "EFF(Matter creation)" appears and you'll be searching for all items that buff MC.
Here I'll add a general hint for searching drop down menu's, since it's especially handy for this last one as it contains so many terms. If you opened the drop down menu (with your mouse) you can quickly type the first letters of the term you are looking for and you will find this term much faster. I.e. "click+m+a+t+ENTER" will give you mater creation; make sure to type fast enough or it will consider your second/third letter as a new search.

Something you really should do is copy-paste or add yourself these 3 lines:
NREQ(GM level)
NREQ(NPC type)
NREQ(Expansion sets)
It will exclude all the items that can only be used by GM's, NPC's and non-froobs, and since you don't belong to any of those, you don't want to find them. (To the non-froobs: I'm discriminating you by purpose :twisted: ; you guys shouldn't add the last line of course).

Now shoot if you have improvements for this guide (lay-out, spelling-errors, extra hints,...) or if you have questions :).

Thank you for reading, I hope it's worth something,

Edta 8)
Last edited by EDTA on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Rain
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Rain » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:58 am

Cant find the original post atm, but I'll add it as useful stuff here as well.
Wildcards work on Auno. so if you dont remember the full name of an item, you can for example replace an unknown amount of letters with an % (ie: %azure%). Helpful in certain situations.
The mark of a truly superior player is the use of his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
Jensenberg | Bureaucrat
Odeleder | Trader
Intellant | Meta-physicist
Smierc | Martial Artist
Nicolaj | Agent
Snaut | Engineer
WeylanYutani | Enforcer

R.I.P Atlantean - THE Raidbot

Mikro
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Mikro » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:44 am

Patch is useful sometimes. Like when I was searching for IS gun that I can not remember namo of. I did know name of skull of **** weapons tho, and since whole dungeon was added at same time you just check the patch at skull and search for all weapons added with that patch =)
Froobs
Mikrometa 200 MP

Sloobs
Vetus 220 Enf

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:28 am

how do I make auno find me the lowest QL of some buffing item that gives a particular buff? ^^

Like let's say if I want to find out what QL Miy's ranged gloves is the lowest that buffs 3 shotgun? :P

Because if I have auno search for Miy%rang%glove and Eff(shotgun)==3, I find nothing at all, and if I change it to >=3, I get the QL300 right away and not the interpolated QL31.
mmorpg addiction... [1][2][3]

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:50 am

Auno doesn't hunt for interpolated items on its search, I believe.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm

hahnsoo wrote:Auno doesn't hunt for interpolated items on its search, I believe.
Sad but true, I was just wondering if there was a way to make it do so ^^
mmorpg addiction... [1][2][3]

BigMx
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by BigMx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Accomplice wrote:how do I make auno find me the lowest QL of some buffing item that gives a particular buff? ^^

Like let's say if I want to find out what QL Miy's ranged gloves is the lowest that buffs 3 shotgun? :P

Because if I have auno search for Miy%rang%glove and Eff(shotgun)==3, I find nothing at all, and if I change it to >=3, I get the QL300 right away and not the interpolated QL31.
The only way I know to find this using the options auno already has available is by searching for the gloves, then on the page there's a box where you can enter the quality of the item and I just increment it by 10 until it shows the gloves with 3 shotgun. Then I subtract 1 from the quality until I find the minimum quality which give +3 shotgun. Sometimes I'll increment by 5, 10, 20 or even 50. It depends on the item and the quality range of it.

It seems that auno's owner did not include a reverse interpolation function to allow searches for items in the manner that you've described. I'm not proficient in PHP programming so not sure how to write code for it. However, In my personal program (written in VB) the function I use to find the quality of an item using the items requirement (to wear or use) or the effects on the item is the following code.

Code: Select all

'Find Item QL using the items requirement or effect as the search criteria
Public Function Rev_Interpolation(ByVal hiVal As Integer, ByVal loVal As Integer, _
                    ByVal hiQL As Integer, ByVal loQL As Integer, ByVal ItemVal As Integer) As Integer

Rev_Interpolation = Int((ItemVal - loVal - 0.45) / (hiVal - loVal) * (hiQL - loQL) + loQL)
End Function

What the variables mean...

HiQl = 300 (highest QL gloves)
LoQl = 1 (lowest QL gloves)
HiVal = 16 (highest value of shotgun on QL300 gloves)
LoVal = 1 (lowest value of shotgun on QL1 gloves)
ItemVal = 3 (this would be the value you are looking for on the item...for this example 3 shotgun)

So if looking for the lowest quality miy's ranged armor gloves that give +3 shotgun, It would look like the following...

Int((3 - 1 - .45) / (16 - 1) * (300 - 1) + 1)

The value returned would be 31.89666667 but it's not rounded so I used Int() function to return the integer part and truncate the decimal part. Now the formula may be slightly off in some places, but rarely if at all by more than 1 quality level.

the only reason I use the value .45 in the formula is becuase without it, the formula would only return the quality of the item where the shotgun value equals exactly 3 (which in this case would be QL40). The formula without the .45 adjustment wouldn't account for decimal places. The interpolation of items in the database seem to use rounding so in reality a QL31 miy's ranged armor gloves gives a shotgun value of 2.5 and so it's rounded up as far as I can tell. So 2.5 is rounded to 3 and thus QL31 gloves is the lowest QL that miy's ranged armor gloves will provide +3 shotgun for.

so far this works on all the effects on items and even the requirements (like treatment, CL, base abilities, all skills, AC's..etc.) so as long as you know the High and Low values and QL range of the item in question.

Now I think all the owner of Auno would need to do is to use the above formula (or make an improved version) and make it work as a search option. So as long as the results are as accurate as we can get, I'm sure people won't mind having such a feature/search option.

TigerDragon
Skilled
Skilled

Post by TigerDragon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:12 am

Or a simple query could be created to check that item property instead. The item is already in the database with the item properties, so a properly constructed select statement would suffice.
Clan on RK2:
Redbeacon - beacon warp / tradeskill engineer (not able to cast beacon warp yet... working on it)
Redrosethorn - Piercing Doc (Level locked at 59 to help at totw)
Neutral on RK2:
Redmedivac - Fixer (will go clan after team fgrid quest is finished.) current main.
Redvestments - Pistol Trader

Quilluck
Fresh
Fresh

Post by Quilluck » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:19 pm

Doubtful if this is possible.. but I have yet to find this out myself so here goes:

Is there any way to search through nano formulas that are castable on others? Usually I can just sift through the different results, but if there is some way to make the search engine check this and come back with the results it would be excellent..

(aka some way to make it check if the formulas cast on "users" "self" etc, or that it must be able to cast on "target")

As I said.. doubtful if it's possible, but would be very nifty :D
Transcendence
Captain Planet "Quilluck" Totherescue 220/28/70 :: The Gemp Main ::
Ezequiso 60/6/14 :: Ground Raid Farmer Extraordinare ::
Enfoyo 150/13 :: Cookie-cutter 2he atrox enfo at your service ::
Pandadanda 100/10/28 :: Put on Hold ::
Iheel "Fourthaid" Ukeel 150/16/42 :: Heal plx ::

BigMx
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by BigMx » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:28 pm

TigerDragon wrote:Or a simple query could be created to check that item property instead. The item is already in the database with the item properties, so a properly constructed select statement would suffice.
Actually the item property is in the DB but the exact quality with the exact value on the property is not in the DB. The interpolation formula is what displays the stats of an item at various qualities.

for example, Quailty 31 miy's nano armor gloves are not listed in the DB. The QL1 version and QL300 versions are. All other QL's can't be queried because they don't exist and the interpolation formula takes the QL1 and QL300 version and calculates what the stats will be for a QL 31 version and displays the exact stats for each property that exist on the specified item.

If the database held values for each quality of an item then the DB would probably be over a gig....with just the low and high QL versions (and the few specially named versions of items) the DB is about 300mb already.

BigMx
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by BigMx » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:18 pm

Quilluck wrote:Doubtful if this is possible.. but I have yet to find this out myself so here goes:

Is there any way to search through nano formulas that are castable on others? Usually I can just sift through the different results, but if there is some way to make the search engine check this and come back with the results it would be excellent..

(aka some way to make it check if the formulas cast on "users" "self" etc, or that it must be able to cast on "target")

As I said.. doubtful if it's possible, but would be very nifty :D
Just spent some time tinkering around with search options and found no way to search for nano's that way. I agree, it would be nice though.

I think Auno and mainframe needs to be updated with some new search options. I don't particularly like mainframes search option at all and Auno could use a few more search options and expand on what you can filter out as it seems there are properties that we should be able to search for but simply don't have the options to do so with the search feature.

Goldberg
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Goldberg » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:49 pm

An awesome guide Edta.
NREQ(GM level)
NREQ(NPC type)
NREQ(Expansion sets)
Thats proebly the most usefull tip I've got for a while, Used to search with the NREQ(Expansion sets) tab only :oops: and thought im doing ok, but with these search cant go easier!

DocJones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DocJones » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:45 pm

Unfortunately, auno' dont develop his features anymore, since he quit playing, too... Even database updates after a patch are applied without a note on then mainpage (only the header shows you the current version) and are often delayed up to 2 weeks after patch day.

I wish, auno would hand over his tools/website over to aodev's for the community to push development a bit further...
Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking...
Proud Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
Toons:
Zzzzzzwap (inofficial main), Krisplin (main, but buff whore)
Theophrastus (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
Rosling
Tarradax wrote:Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Yes. You so totally win. ...
vs.
Tarradax wrote: Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: It's all your fault.
Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Totally your fault.
~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

TigerDragon
Skilled
Skilled

Post by TigerDragon » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:29 am

DocJones wrote:Unfortunately, auno' dont develop his features anymore, since he quit playing, too... Even database updates after a patch are applied without a note on then mainpage (only the header shows you the current version) and are often delayed up to 2 weeks after patch day.

I wish, auno would hand over his tools/website over to aodev's for the community to push development a bit further...
The tools are available on the site.

http://auno.org/dev/aoppa/

If you read the README, it mentions an executable that he lost the source code for, but the rest of it is open source and freely available.
Clan on RK2:
Redbeacon - beacon warp / tradeskill engineer (not able to cast beacon warp yet... working on it)
Redrosethorn - Piercing Doc (Level locked at 59 to help at totw)
Neutral on RK2:
Redmedivac - Fixer (will go clan after team fgrid quest is finished.) current main.
Redvestments - Pistol Trader

DocJones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DocJones » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:44 am

Aye, i knew that. but i wasn't referring to the tools to extract the data, but to the website as a whole (including the comments on the items).

It would be nice for the community to add features to the existing site...
Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking...
Proud Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
Toons:
Zzzzzzwap (inofficial main), Krisplin (main, but buff whore)
Theophrastus (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
Rosling
Tarradax wrote:Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Yes. You so totally win. ...
vs.
Tarradax wrote: Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: It's all your fault.
Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Totally your fault.
~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~