The best way to describe the map is probably in terms of differences compared to AoRK. In many ways my map is just an updated version of AoRK, but I've also made some different choices in what to display and how to display it. So I would like to see my map as an alternative rather than a replacement.
Since this is the first version, there's a good chance I made some mistakes, typo's, etc. Please use this thread for feedback if you find anything
The download link is at the bottom of this post.
- ICC HQ has been updated.
- The Arete landing area has been added.
- Three Craters is no longer an accessible zone.
- Many player city plots have been removed. The ones that are still on the map are still there in game.
- A new clan outpost in the Enigma Forest has been added.
- The whom-pah network has been updated.
- Some dyna boss markers have been updated.
- Entrances to the Subway, Temple of Three Winds, Inner Sanctum and Smugglers Den have been updated.
- Outdoor Battlestation terminals have been removed.
- The Temple of Home has been added (currently only available on the Test server).
- The zone layout is an updated version of the traditional layout of older maps such as Huge Map and AORS. This makes the zones fit seamlessly with the un-terraformed parts of Rubi-Ka. I've updated internal borders based on the improvements from AoRK, such as the eastern Omni Forest border and the border between Newland and the Newland Desert.
- The terrain colours are similar to AoRK, though a little less bright.
- In a few cases I've chosen to recolour the terrain, when it's obviously inconsistent with its surroundings. Examples include:
- The western mountains in Galway Shire.
- The southern mountains in Southern Artery Valley.
- The mountains in Andromeda.
- The mountains around Borealis.
- Guarded locations are coloured based on the faction of the guards. This means I've made a few changes:
- The outpost in Varmint Woods is neutral.
- Dreadloch camps in SAV and EFP are Omni.
- Dreadloch camps in TLR, BS, USEB are Clan.
- Versailles Tower is not a guarded location.
- I've attempted to make the map a little bit cleaner by leaving out symbols that I feel aren't very useful. In particular:
- Ammenities; mail terminals, bank terminals, etc.
- Non-general stores; armour, weapon, implant stores, random terminals and vendors.
- Unnamed static dungeons; non-instanced places that look like missions.
- City controllers; these are obsolete.
- Land control area's; I feel these obscure the terrain too much. They are instead marked with a green 'x', like on Huge Map.
Here are some screenshots to give an idea of what the map looks like.
Download and installation
You can download the map here.
Extract the contents of the zip file to:
<your AO install directory>\cd_image\textures\PlanetMap\SaavicksMap
In game, open your planet map window and click the little 'i' in the top left.
Click Select Map.
Click "Saavick's Map of Rubi-Ka".