how to make me not so gimp?

opeyam
Amateur
Amateur

how to make me not so gimp?

Post by opeyam » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:49 am

I don't have my computer with ao on it with me so i cant check my equipment and stats, but tis somethin like this:

level 67
opifex
apocalypse armor ql 73-79
gamma ray ejector
ql 75 imps
the GoT circuit board
2 dark memories and 3 of those NCUs from the balls by the director of the foremans
one of those thins fixers can make that goes in their hud and raises nano
maxed smg & burst for my level + my org adds onto my skill i think, makin smg maybe 400 and burst maybe 370.
maxed sense and agility for my level
maxed evades i think

& thats it!

I get my butt kicked by mobs lower than me. in september i had a lvl 70 ma and i distinctly remember kicking monsters butts that were AROUND my level... up and down. this fix gets its butt kicked from things 10 levels below its level. advice?
I'll be finished gettin 5 sets of basic armor pretty soon here, so unless equipment upgrades cost a hell of a lot more than i think, i should be set :)
thinkin about buyin and hvin someone twink a set of cyborg death squad armor on me... that stuff looks amazing
but in any case can anyone tell me how to not be so gimp

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Re: how to make me not so gimp?

Post by EDTA » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:11 am

Well, most important thing are higher ql imps I believe, ql 125ish shouldn't be too hard; at least ql 100ish. Also make sure you implant the right stuff of course :D.
Using Grid Armor should be a good choice for a froob fixer, although it's expensive and makes IP distribution even harder (since you suddenly need mc). GA is very strong, but it should be possible to make a fixer work without as well.
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:19 am

QL 100 imps will drop right in around level 62 (assuming you've been maxing the abilities associated with the implants you need).

Max evades if you can afford the IP (Oh, you did that. =P). Although your armor is underpowered for mobs your own level. You will take a fair amount of damage. If you can get Grid Armor, you want Grid Armor II (GA1 will not be protecting you much at this point) but if I recall correctly, you'll need a MP to buff your Matter Creations (at least) for GA2 when your level is in the 60s. The interim solution is first to install better implants and get the highest QL long and short HoT nanos you can cast + the highest run speed buff you can cast (the single target run speed buffs also buff evades) + use the root-and-shoot method.

Loose the gamma ejector. You are at best wielding only 1 because of the crazy multi-ranged requirements. I thought the gamma ejector was going to be so great, but it increased my burst cycle time and overall lowered my damage output. Try twinking on the highest QL OT Keran's or Chemical Mausser you can use (you may need a Wrangle and a Riot Control). Level as best you can (these levels are somewhat painful for fixers) until you can get to level 75-100 and get a pair of Blackbirds. Then life gets easier for a little while until you reach level 125-130. If you have been raising nano-init, then use one of the calculators to see if you can move your slider to increase your AAD.

ironox
Flagged
Flagged

Post by ironox » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:53 am

A couple of other things that may help: Depending on the level of your token board, a Collar Casero de la Cripta can be very handy. You don't even have to get through the locked door in CoH. And a Mochams and wrangle together should allow you to put it on. However, if you do get through the doors, may I suggest a set of Bundle of Twisting Nerves in 4 of your NCU slots.
Jennydoit ("Building in your imagination") Lvl 200 TS'ing Eng
Sleipnirfast ("Think of it as a proactive acquisitions strategy") Lvl 195 Fixer
Tradingup ("Oooh, that shotgun's even BIGGER!") Lvl 180 Trader
Sgtfiery ("Reach out and torch someone") Lvl 173 ICSF Soldier
Cthulhulives ("Not your TOTW Cultist. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu ftaghn") Lvl 153 MP
Bandagebabe ("Fine Pharmaceuticals at unreasonable prices") Lvl 158 Doctor
Stupididea ("Party time! Have a blast.") Lvl 162 Shotgun NT
Notthedroid ("Don't worry, I have your back!" [In my crosshairs]) Lvl 132 Agent
Selar ("Really, I'm just a big pussycat") Lvl 156 melee Advy
Sharpanswer ("Have a heart - I seem to have picked up some extras") Lvl 104 Piercing Enfo
Remfbypref ("Go! Go! Go! I'll assess the situation as soon as I finish my coffee") Lvl 105 Crat
Abbienormal ("No Igor, the OTHER subject!") Lvl 100 Eng (Semi-permanent resident in CoH)
And about 2 dozen more alts waiting for their shot at the big time

opeyam
Amateur
Amateur

Post by opeyam » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:23 pm

plannin on gettin imps for sure after i do basic armor quest. got 1 more cybernetic finger and 5 antiseptic protectors b4 i can sell 5x sets :).
also planning on buying a set of cyborg death squad armor and the highest mcs i can equip with that money now :). people kept sayin that the gamma ray ejector was better because of the minimum damage, but the minute long burst recharge was driving me INSANE!
ppl keep sayin GA sucks. i mean at first i heard nothin but good things then nothin but bad things and i dont know what to think. all i know is that i have put nothing into matter creation because i read a couple of fixer guides and neither of them said anything about grid armor. when i made my fixer i was all excited about bein a smurf, too :(.
that neck thing looks amazing! i hear CoH is deadly. I'll go check it out and see if i can kill things to get it, otherwise i think i got someone who wouldnt mind helpin. the NCUs don't look that great but i'm no genius on this stuff.
as for the root and shoot thing... never heard nyone talk about it, but in my experience if ya root somethin then it breaks as soon as you shoot. also it seems if you snare somethin the snare breaks when you shoot it to. i snare groups and then take one at a time... snare always breaks when i shoot em. so what exactly is the point of root and shoot?
thanks for all the advice so far, guys :)

ironox
Flagged
Flagged

Post by ironox » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:10 am

CoH is deadly - not so much because anything in particular is dangerous, but because there is a lot of stuff, very aggressive, that respawns quickly. However, you can get the collar in the foyer - if you just keep killing the cenobites in the first halls on either side as they respawn the collar will drop eventually. Re the memory - the NCU isn't that great, but as a fixer that usually isn't one of your greatest worries. It's the buffs to MM and BM - I will cheerfully take +12 to both of those against a bit more NCU/nano/health from some of the other NCU options.

Thing about root and shoot - depending on the level of the root, your root has a percentage chance of breaking - not an automatic break. So while this works best in the great outdoors, in a mission site you can get an add to chase you into a nice long corridor - root it, shoot till the root breaks. If you still have room, root it again and repeat until you run out of room. When you run out of room, then root it again, run to the other end of the hall, and start shooting again. You should take only a few hits, which your HoTs will handle.
Jennydoit ("Building in your imagination") Lvl 200 TS'ing Eng
Sleipnirfast ("Think of it as a proactive acquisitions strategy") Lvl 195 Fixer
Tradingup ("Oooh, that shotgun's even BIGGER!") Lvl 180 Trader
Sgtfiery ("Reach out and torch someone") Lvl 173 ICSF Soldier
Cthulhulives ("Not your TOTW Cultist. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu ftaghn") Lvl 153 MP
Bandagebabe ("Fine Pharmaceuticals at unreasonable prices") Lvl 158 Doctor
Stupididea ("Party time! Have a blast.") Lvl 162 Shotgun NT
Notthedroid ("Don't worry, I have your back!" [In my crosshairs]) Lvl 132 Agent
Selar ("Really, I'm just a big pussycat") Lvl 156 melee Advy
Sharpanswer ("Have a heart - I seem to have picked up some extras") Lvl 104 Piercing Enfo
Remfbypref ("Go! Go! Go! I'll assess the situation as soon as I finish my coffee") Lvl 105 Crat
Abbienormal ("No Igor, the OTHER subject!") Lvl 100 Eng (Semi-permanent resident in CoH)
And about 2 dozen more alts waiting for their shot at the big time

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:27 am

Grid Armor is a misunderstood thing. It basically adds a huge amount to your evades and your AAD, but relatively little to your AC. Basically the mob that is attacking you misses a lot, but when it hits you, your AC's are not going to temper the damage you're gonna get from it.

GA-1 stops keeping you safe for mobs over level 50 or 60ish, which means spending a lot of time (farming for) or money (to buy) something that you'll outgrow really quickly is a bad investment (of time or money). I'm still using GA-2 on my level 129 Fixer, because most mobs up to my level still miss most of the time. With mobs my level or higher -- its pretty much like I'm not wearing any armor at all. ( WTB GA-3 for cheeep? =P ) So having a Fixer with good regular armor saves on IP spendage in MC and will give you a more predictable battle experience (unlike GA, which can often be... mob misses, I laugh, mob misses, I laugh, ..., mob hits!, I cringe, mob hits!, I'm down by 1/3 health, mob misses, my HoT isn't fast enough, mob happens to hit again!, I'm now down to 1/2 health... )

and what ironox said about root-and-shoot. I find that in bad situations when I've run out of NP to re-root a mob, I will run around big rooms and burst things to death while my HoT keeps me alive -- Can you tell my main is a NT? =P

markp89
Hardened
Hardened

Post by markp89 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:41 am

ga4 rocks!

opeyam
Amateur
Amateur

Post by opeyam » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:01 am

ironox: tyvm for explaining root and shoot. makes sense now... kinda makes me wonder once i run out of nano if i'll be screwed though. i tend to have to instagrid out a LOT. I'll be sure to try it :)

llie: ty for explaining the grid armor. i noticed the ACs were low & i was wonderin about that. besides i dont rly have the money for gettin new GA every time i run out. how many damned times would i have to do social armor quest for that? lol. and neither my clicksaver (downloaded every version i could find) or my mishbuddy will work so i would be spending weeks tryin to roll it lol.

mark: yeah thats like my ultimate goal :P. prolly gonna stay off GA until 4 when i'll have more than enough IP to spend nyways and own with it.

Jondera1
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Jondera1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:40 am

Llie wrote:and what ironox said about root-and-shoot. I find that in bad situations when I've run out of NP to re-root a mob, I will run around big rooms and burst things to death while my HoT keeps me alive -- Can you tell my main is a NT? =P
My main is a Fixer, but I default to kiting mobs, as well. Back before I got expansions, I went from level 40 to level 60-65ish mostly by kiting dynabosses in Newland Desert and Wailing Wastes. Because of the high runspeed and relatively fast attack and burst cycle (if you get a good weapon), fixers make excellent kiters, though they can have problems if they try to kite more than one enemy at a time. This is what the area snares are for, actually - you snare an entire dynacamp, and start kiting the boss. All the adds get left safely behind because of the snare.

As for weapons, I would personally recommend an OT Kerans Automatic Grinner, or, if you can somehow miraculously put IP into Multi-Ranged in preparation for your Blackbird days, a pair of Russian Good Days.
RK2:
Jondera Greylock, 213/15 Opifex Fixer (Shattered Dreams), Newland City Minister of Security
Damold Garimen, 150/12 Solitus Melee Advy (Lumen Orien)
Emala, 63/5 Solitus Doctor (Shattered Dreams)
Yarika, 58/2 Nanomage Nanotechnician (Lumen Orien)
Delima, 51/5 Opifex Fixer (Lumen Orien), former TL2 BS twink, future ToTW twink
And others

Orgs of choice: Shattered Dreams & Lumen Orien

opeyam
Amateur
Amateur

Post by opeyam » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 am

how exactly does multiranged work? like if i had a russian good day with a multi ranged req of 400 and a blackbird with 500 or so, could i equip them both at 400 or what?

oh and how does burst recharge work with 2 weapons? say 1 is 189 and 1 is 50, will it revert to the higher or lower recharge rate or will it go to a mid point? and how does burst work with two weapons anyway? higher damage weapon bursts, or faster recharge or slower recharge or what?

jato
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jato » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:07 am

Multiranged: You will always use the lower requirement, so say one weapon takes 500 and one 400, you will only need 400 MR.

Burst: I *think* but am not entirely sure, that if you have two weapons with the same special, it just uses what is in the right hand (and basically ignores the left)
Kiytan
Damrukh - Red Dead Subway Twink
Warpette - Warps on the move.

Alangar
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Alangar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:58 am

You burst with the weapon in your right hand...and you need the MR only for equipping the weapon..it's not effected by oe.

opeyam
Amateur
Amateur

Post by opeyam » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:10 am

oh tyvm :). so as long as i equip an rgd in one hand i can burst fast-ish and in the other i can have a blackbird. w00t might be able to afford this setup lol

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:30 am

opeyam wrote:oh tyvm :). so as long as i equip an rgd in one hand i can burst fast-ish and in the other i can have a blackbird. w00t might be able to afford this setup lol
An rgd will do cosiderably lower bursts than a blackbird though. If you want to maximise your damage, it's best to either singlewield a blackbird or dualwield it with another blackbird, but not with an rgd.
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 182 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat
Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor
Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer Ealhswith 56 agent
Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier