Ye Olde Fixer Guide

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:32 pm

Hardcore Fixer-on-Fixer action is like watching a boxing match between 2 blind men. Eventually, one of them will get lucky and knock the other one out.
Tee hee. I love that line.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:38 am

hahnsoo wrote:
Hardcore Fixer-on-Fixer action is like watching a boxing match between 2 blind men. Eventually, one of them will get lucky and knock the other one out.
Tee hee. I love that line.
Ye Olde Guide is about 50% content, 45% showmanship and 5% bad puns. It was never meant to be anywhere near one of those "DO THIS OR J00 R GIMPZ!!!!!11oneonefive" types that take themselves way way too seriously.

In other news, the "Towers" subsection is complete.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:59 am

errr

doing some PvP at the moment, I m wondering what to do ...

I m still wearing my faithfull pair of BBB, and I just cant be conviced of the damage of the one-hander ... not to say that everyone seems to use one :/

I thought about bigburger (or other FA guns) in left hand .... but damage even with all bullets hitting is quite low ... and I guess my AR in pistoll will be realy low ... so it will be more like 0 bullet anyway ...

is the hot swap with a rifle / other-AS-gun possible or efficient ?

Or should I put all my IP saved by using only the BBB pair into maxing all abilities for better AR and raising Psy at last (still got something like 60 :) ) to max NR ?
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:38 am

First:
Oddball Weaps Section wrote:OneHander - It's a shotgun. While utterly useless in PvM, this is the PvP standard for both fr00bs and expansion fixers - Wielded off-hand with your Blinded Blackbird or KMP, it provides Aimed Shot.
Second: Have a look at the PvP section, particularly the "Building for PvP" segment. In a nutshell, AS is a must-have if you want to be even semi-viable as a PvP build.

And as for hotswapping, I wouldn't advise it - It'll take too long to de-equip a weap and then hotswap a single-wield toy.

/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:54 am

Oh I ve read the guide (several times :) ) and others, and I surly guess that onehander is usefull seeing how many fixers use it ( like ... all ...)

I already use pair of BBB which is very common, so I m trying to find a less traveled road ....

But yes, hotswaping seemed fishy ... even if supernova MVI sounded fun :)

Otherwise, I ve found an info on official forum that I ve not been able to verify ...

I touhgt that the right hand was always used if both hands had same specials (burst with BBB and 1hander for exemple ...)

It seems that if you burts when the BBB is in recharge, you ll burst with the 1hander :/

anyone has seen this ? can confirm or infirm ?

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:54 am

Weeping Willow wrote:Otherwise, I ve found an info on official forum that I ve not been able to verify ...

I touhgt that the right hand was always used if both hands had same specials (burst with BBB and 1hander for exemple ...)

It seems that if you burts when the BBB is in recharge, you ll burst with the 1hander :/

anyone has seen this ? can confirm or infirm ?
Negative. Identical specials always fire from your main hand (Right) and are independent of the weapon's status (With "Ammo remaining" being the only exception) - The only way to get specials to execute from your off-hand is to "Jam" your main weapon with a long-executing perk special, I've seen it happen with melee fighters a few times but never had it happen to my fixer. Probably been ninja-fixed some patches ago.

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:17 am

Someone snuck in a Moneymaking section and even threw in a Blitzing guide when I wasn't looking. Go read.

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:09 am

I hereby declare this guide to be officially complete. I've decided to scrap a couple sections - I actually have them written on .txt files but decided against posting them to keep things interesting. As was stated in the beginning of this guide, it's not a step-by-step hold-your-hand sort of thing, it's just an extended checklist for things you can do and some things you should do (As well as some things you shouldn't do, just see the NT piece in the PvP section, hehe).

All n' all, this was fun writing and expanding upon - I probably wouldn't have bothered going through with it without all the positive feedback from you guys (And gals), so thanks for that.

Keep in mind, things change and shift as new features are added to the game world which means this guide isn't going to be 100% accurate all the time - Always take the things written here with at least a little scrutiny and preferably some thought.

And last, to all the fixers reading this: We're the best RK has to offer, bar none. It's the combination of bravado and high-power hardware that makes it all happen, and you can't really have one without the other - RK has no humble fixers (Much like good parties not having any sober ones), so don't sweat it.

~Tarradax

P.S In a few days I'll have this guide converted to a .doc file, which means the same content only in a nicer form and probably more print-friendly too. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want a copy, I'll happily email you one once I get it done.
Last edited by Tarradax on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:18 am

Why don't you submit it to AO Universe? Or whichever site is still active?
Consider that it encouraged me to try Fixer again after swearing them off and I actually succeeded (that implant ripper mentioned elsewhere).
Adios, thanks for the fish

Script Kiddy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Script Kiddy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:20 pm

You forgot Omni-Armed Forces Armor and Sentinels Armor, they are other good choices lvls 190-200 for a fr00b fixer.

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:02 am

Script Kiddy wrote:You forgot Omni-Armed Forces Armor and Sentinels Armor, they are other good choices lvls 190-200 for a fr00b fixer.
There's also Azure Reveries and a few other items, but I'm not going to mention them because if by TL6 you don't know what options you've got, you've probably bought your fixer on ebay.

Orochi
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Orochi » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:21 pm

i dont know if its posted already, but boots of dancing king are nice dyna loot, and the subway cloak for froob non GA fixers

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Thu May 15, 2008 12:20 am

This guide is now over a year old. From what I've seen, nothing too serious has changed but feel free to correct me here.

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 am

new stuff for froobs is the new short HOT : Advanced Medical Claim that you can get from a quest : talk to Corporal Ashley Winstead (quest is 120+ ... nano is ... quite over that I think)

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Thu May 15, 2008 2:11 am

Weeping Willow wrote:new stuff for froobs is the new short HOT : Advanced Medical Claim that you can get from a quest : talk to Corporal Ashley Winstead (quest is 120+ ... nano is ... quite over that I think)
At 809 MM I don't see a pre-TL6 fixer selfing that one anytime soon.