Ye Olde Fixer Guide

hasufel
Amateur
Amateur

Post by hasufel » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:55 am

Great Guide, Tarradax!

In my experience, snares got the same effect on monsters as roots. But they don't break quick like roots do. Thats why I think snare + shoot is the better option. I did that a lot on rk dynas. I still practise it a lot in Slayer Missions.

And the kiting vs. snare+shoot thing:
Ranged Mobs dont shoot while running, Melee Mobs do. So I snare melee mobs and kite the ranged ones without root/snare.

Dako-ta
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Dako-ta » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:08 pm

Hi,

Nice step towards completion, Tarradax, now I'm waiting anxiously for input on implants; have mostly ql 100 pre-mades in my main & need to start making custom ones soon, first two >100ql attempts had unforseen complications that prevented me from equipping them.

Why is Nanonanny sometimes unable to tell you which the final attribute requirement will be when you are using standard RK clusters? Grrrr...

hasufel wrote: "snares got the same effect on monsters as roots. But they don't break quick like roots do."

Generally my experience too, I rarely use roots; but snares are sometimes quickly broken, too, it's just that they CAN last a long time, and when they do, are very useful.

"Ranged Mobs dont shoot while running, Melee Mobs do."

Again, mostly matches my experience, however I think there are a couple of classes of mobs that can continue to attack w/ a ranged (or at least projectile-class) attack while running. Fatestealer/Lifebleeders can attack while chasing you (don't recall which of their 3 types of attacks they use in this situation, maybe it's not a ranged attack, but I think it is).

A-bots can't use their higher-damage energy-based attack while running, but can continue to pepper you w/ their regular projectile attack while at full 'chasing you around the room & down the hall' mode. :)

I just recently got killed when an "Enhanced A-bot" type team-mission boss I was soloing got about 6 100 pt. hits on me while I was running around the room to heal & recharge boost & special attack. I didn't even realize it was doing it until after about 3 hits. By the time I started grappling w/ the situation it was too late. I kept thinking, "How can it be doing this? It shouldn't be able to do this, d@mn it..." There was no sign it was stopping & firing, it seemed able to fire just fine in full run. :?

Anyway, just a couple of points I thought worth expanding on a bit.

Regards,

Dako-ta

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:52 pm

hasufel wrote:In my experience, snares got the same effect on monsters as roots. But they don't break quick like roots do. Thats why I think snare + shoot is the better option. I did that a lot on rk dynas. I still practise it a lot in Slayer Missions.
The reason I favour roots over snares is because fixer single snares aren't that great and end at QL126 (Defensive check is 100% level + 60% Nanoresist), while roots go up to QL152 (Defensive check is 15% level + 86% Nanoresist). Basically, it means that when dealing with high-end mobs, you'll have a better chance of rooting compared to snaring... And with a 4s recharge time, getting your root/snare countered could prove fatal.
hasufel wrote:And the kiting vs. snare+shoot thing:
Ranged Mobs dont shoot while running, Melee Mobs do. So I snare melee mobs and kite the ranged ones without root/snare.
There is a great deal of exceptions to this rule, starting at mobs that nuke (The Fatestealer/Lifebleeder type mobs mentioned by Dako-Ta are just one example) and ending with mobs that'll simply use their specials on you (Borgs come to mind here, but I'm sure there's other mobs that do it too). Overall, best approach to deal with ranged mobs is to fight them head-on, and if things don't go your way then you root then and move out of their range until your HoTs patch things up.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:45 am

That's right folks. Hell probably just froze over and Satan is giving away free ski trips because the implant (And symbiant) section is COMPLETE!!!

Funny how this grew from a basic fixer how-to to the monstrosity you see... The main segments are now all complete, but I have a couple other things I'll add when I have the time. Rawr. Go read it.

(And Thanks for the Sticky :D )

(Also, Post #2000. Phear. Me.)

/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Daylin
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Daylin » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:58 pm

Thanks for the super guide as well Tarradax :D
I am using this guide as well, great ammount of help it has been to me. It has also been a bit of inspiration as I come closer to the point where IP concerns will be less of a problem for me. I so love the fixer community, and the ammount of help it's members seem to give to one another (warm fuzzy feeling :lol: ) Best fixer guide out there imo for us Froob Fixers.

P.S. I look forward to the future goodies you will be adding to this guide, sheeez! I can't imagine what else you could possibly put in here, but I anxiously await it nonetheless.
Proud Member and General of Newcomers Alliance
Daylin 150 Bureaucrat / Kaytoh 154 Bureaucrat / Devilan 146 Agent
Generaltrox 141 Bureaucrat / Captaintrox 150 Soldier / Sergeantrox 173 Fixer
Image r u nubi?
ImageImageImage

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:57 pm

Dako-ta wrote:Why is Nanonanny sometimes unable to tell you which the final attribute requirement will be when you are using standard RK clusters? Grrrr...
There are some spelling errors that need to be corrected, for instance PISTOL is mispelled PISOL in part of the database. It's all text, so any text editor can fix it (of course, make a backup first). In other places, the name is changed completely, those take a little more work to fix.
Adios, thanks for the fish

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:03 pm

Is there a reason you left out the Suppressor?

http://www.aomainframe.info/showitem.aspx?AOID=123208

It seems like an alternate weapon line for those without a Gamma Ejector or Blackbird. The ability to pop a Full Auto at the beginning of some fights seems interesting.

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Ferengi wrote:Is there a reason you left out the Suppressor?

http://www.aomainframe.info/showitem.aspx?AOID=123208

It seems like an alternate weapon line for those without a Gamma Ejector or Blackbird. The ability to pop a Full Auto at the beginning of some fights seems interesting.
Hmm, let's see... Single hand, very low damage, requires a dark-blue skill and even then the FA cycle will be about 2 weeks. It's really not a weapon worth using.

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:32 am

I saw that, but punched it up in the damage simulator, and it did better than expected. Let me be more clear, I've not expecting Full Autos every 11 secs, just being able to use FA to start most mobs. Most FA guns are not very impressive, but I hate the 1 pt hits out of Kerans nowdays.

The cost of an IP point is no longer very important to me, I find that I don't run out of IP until close to lvl 100 nowdays (many IP spending plans are wasteful, with the new skill GUI, it's easy to see when you should spend -- and not overspend). If you look into the math behind various skills, it's easy to see that adding a handful of points rarely causes a significant improvement. It's better to wait, much can happen in the meantime.

LATER:

Ah, I really like this weapon as a replacement to Kerans. You need to try it to believe, but after your first double-crit FA (with only 6 bullets, i.e. still subway levels) takes down a full mob HP bar, you won't go back to 1 pt of damage.
Last edited by Ferengi on Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

itninja
Veteran
Veteran

Post by itninja » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:00 am

I was reading up on the whole snare vs root debate a couple posts back. When fighting ranged mobs who can not shoot you while running, I like to kite far from them. Assuming that you can run much quicker than the mob their "path" to you is already set and they will continue to run to you on that path.

You then snare them to reduce their runspeed and you can burst away at them without them being able to attack you. Once they get close, or if the snare breaks, run through them the other way, allow them to set their path once again, then snare them again. Repeat as necessary until you are looting your dead mob :-P

Also, I've found I'm still able to land the top single snare on lvl 200-210 mobs. Not sure it hits 100% of the time, but it's close.

EDIT: Note that the mob MUST be running at the time that you snare them or this won't work. If you snare them while they are standing still then it acts like a root and you'll have to tank them.
Rootcommand Level 219/29 Omni Solitus Fixer

~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~
NA Forums

Ferengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Ferengi » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:32 pm

itninja wrote:I was reading up on the whole snare vs root debate
I think that Tarra's point is look at the defense skills to decide, and so far following that rule, I am doing much better. Take the one with lower level and then, lower NR.

Fixxzy
Fresh
Fresh

Post by Fixxzy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:12 pm

Thank you so much for a lovley guide.. this im gonna follow. and so easy to understand

*gives a huge hugs to*
Want to trade my hug for your hug ?
come to me and i "fix" you a hug :p

Lvl 80 Fixer

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Re: Ye Olde Fixer Guide

Post by hahnsoo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:22 pm

Tarradax wrote:There is no level 50 SMG buff, but the first root-breaker nano becomes available. Mostly useless in PvM, it's still a nice toy to have. Pretty rare and dyna-only, so I'll leave the consideration up to you.
Just one very minor quibble with a very excellent guide. The Rootbreaker mentioned is Escape Captivation, and is actually shop-buyable in the Advanced Nano Crystal terminal. Since it is a dyna-only rootline, it will have a squished CamelCase "NanoCrystal" label, but it's in there. Easy to buy, useful to have, so why not?
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Re: Ye Olde Fixer Guide

Post by Tarradax » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:45 pm

hahnsoo wrote:
Tarradax wrote:There is no level 50 SMG buff, but the first root-breaker nano becomes available. Mostly useless in PvM, it's still a nice toy to have. Pretty rare and dyna-only, so I'll leave the consideration up to you.
Just one very minor quibble with a very excellent guide. The Rootbreaker mentioned is Escape Captivation, and is actually shop-buyable in the Advanced Nano Crystal terminal. Since it is a dyna-only rootline, it will have a squished CamelCase "NanoCrystal" label, but it's in there. Easy to buy, useful to have, so why not?
Wewt for getting my wires crossed. For some reason I was sure both nanos in this line are dyna only. Also added my main issue with that nano - It's got a 10s cast time. Try standing still for 10s in the middle of a blitz, you'll see my point very very soon.

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:36 am

/me sneaks in a PvP section hoping nobody notices it's not 100% done yet