What next?

GDB2222
Veteran
Veteran

What next?

Post by GDB2222 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:18 am

My lvl 110 engy is completely untwinked - still using ql 125 implants, etc. With outside buffs I have the highest slayerdroid.

I buff the bot with the highest increase aggressiveness trimmer I can, as well as offence trimmers, the intrusive aura, and the NPC damage boost buffs.

Is there anything else I can do to make the bot hold aggro better?
Take it easy on the kid, SilverFox316; everybody kills Hitler on their first trip

bronz
Flagged
Flagged

Re: What next?

Post by bronz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:40 am

I use three trimmers. Divert Energy to Offense, Increase Aggressiveness, and Positive Aggressive-Defensive. Using the other two may help a bit. Also, if the problem with not holding agro is that mobs agro you, then you can reduce your agro “signature” by healing less/not at all, going full defense and putting a weapon you can’t use in social. There’s probably more, but that’s all I can think of right now.

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:20 am

The NPC damage boost buffs that you mention is somewhat misnamed nanoline for engineers. For MP's, pet damage is increased, but for Engineers AAD and AAO is increased. As you continue to level, you will keep increasing your nano skills to cast higher forms of this nano to further increase your bot's ability to hold aggro, but even with all top trimmers and the best nano from this line, your bot will not be able to fully hold aggro if you're also there shooting at the enemy.

The main issue, fundamentally, you have reached the point where you can no longer expect your bot to all the work while you hide around the corner, or if you are helping your bot do damage, you can't expect your bot to hold 100% aggro while you safely take pot-shots at the enemy. There comes a time in every pet class' career where you need to start joining the fray.

My mostly tradeskill engineer had was similarly untwinked, and when I got to this point I had to start doing the basics to up my/my pet's total damage output and survivability. This included starting to use pet heals, getting better armor, casting AC buffs/AC Auras/debuf auras/other parts of the engineer toolset, getting a better weapon (in my case upgrading my Engineer Pistol), and no longer pulling by sending my pet to attack but rather leaving my pet a distance away and pulling 1 mob out of a group and running back to my pet and then commanding it to attack as I run past it.

With outside buffs, all froob pet classes will be able to manage their basic end-game pets somewhere between level 100-125. I had a similar feeling of disappointment when I was able to manage to cast the last pet for my MP/Engy/Crat, but what you really want to be able to do is to self cast and heal your pets (MP's don't have pet heals, but can swap their heal pet between themselves and their other pets). In really tough battles, you will find yourself self-casting an additional bot shell during the fight so you can bring up another bot after the previous one gets killed in order to take down bigger enemies. You'll also be surprised how much longer your pet will fight for you as you raise your BM to cast pet heals. You'll need to increase your nano pool to rebuff/heal your pets. You'll also need to stock up on old nano kits, since you can't refill your nano pool with the new kits while your pet are holding aggro. Crats, of course get more powerful charms, which you will use to supplement your level 200 pet with.

The experience of pet classes starts out to feel fairly "passive" during battles which misleads players to think that's how their entire career will be. But as with all other classes, you will invariably need to become "active" in battles and start using every part of your toolset. My engineer has no special attacks on any weapons, but I find that I still need to refresh my blinds, heal my pet, kite around when my pet looses aggro.

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:01 am

Llie wrote:The main issue, fundamentally, you have reached the point where you can no longer expect your bot to all the work while you hide around the corner, or if you are helping your bot do damage, you can't expect your bot to hold 100% aggro while you safely take pot-shots at the enemy. There comes a time in every pet class' career where you need to start joining the fray.
These are words of wisdom right here. Around mid-late TL4 you can (And should) start thinking in terms of your personal contribution to the fight - Not just watching by as your droid all the heavy lifting for you.

As for a more concrete "What's next", I would suggest stepping up your implants as a 1st priority - Aim for cutting your dependance on other people's buffs and improving your own defensive abilities (Via implants or IP spending) to be able to contribute more to the fight.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Briandmg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:15 pm

And once you can take a good spanking from your average mob, pump your stats to go straight for casting Slayerdroid Transference, and then max out your MA skills. :lol: Dishes out a great deal of damage especially in PvM.

Oh, and you could always get better special attack blockers, and your offensive/defensive aura to further boost your engi's performance.
The Ultimate Endgame Froob PvP Guide :OO
All you ever needed to know to make your L200 froob toon a beast in PvP. :P

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Bit of a necro, but special attack blockers are only useful in PvP. As far as I have seen, no PvM mob has ever used a special attack on me.

I now use the Solar-Powered Master Engineer Pistol, and nothing I can do to my QL 200 Slayerdroid (trimmers, AAO buffs, Entropy Weapon, Quick Weapon, etc...) will make my slayer hold aggro in a fight 100% of the time. It does ok, but invariably I will OD the bot for brief periods.

When dealing with multiple enemies, I often have to toggle the pet on whichever enemy is currently attacking me while I switch to the other enemy (since my bot has 3x more HP than I do) and kiting around to be a pretty common activity. A wise friend once chided me: every smart engineer maxes run speed.