Forum discussion and ranks and stuff

Discuss strategy in the command tent, exhibit your pictures in the trophy case, inscribe your conquers in the victory monument, have a chat, ... anything that's not a raid goes here.
EDTA
Moderaidtor

Forum discussion and ranks and stuff

Post by EDTA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:22 am

We started discussing some stuff on tlfiveplus already (http://tlfiveplus.com/index.php?topic=566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;),, but I would like to continue this here.

Essentially the questions are:

- What ranks should we have? And how should we call them? And what powers should they have? For now I appointed a couple of Moderaidtors for this section. And I could make some Froobraid raidleaders which wouldn't have extra powers on the forum, but it would make them identifiable and they would have access to a few more commands in the bot. Also, if you feel eligible to any rank, please let me know!

- What sections should we have? I made battlefield and campment. Anybody not agreeing with the names or the way things are subdivided? There was chatter about a third hidden section where raidleaders can discuss things. What do you think about that? Sometimes it can be useful to talk in private, but we should try to avoid it. My idea now is that we don't have this section, but discuss this stuff in PM's. I enabled PMing the Moderaidtors as a group which we may be able to use as an alternative (stuff broke when I tested... so maybe not...).

Anything else regarding the forum? Please post it here!
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Re: Forum discussion and ranks and stuff

Post by Matammyr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:42 am

Oh hello there.

Before I answer question one, what powers and responsibilities will each rank have?

Lusto
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Lusto » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:58 am

For ranks I would go with Raid Leader and Moderator/Administrator. Those with RL rank are supposed to make sure that something happens on the bot, either they organize it or they assist members who want to run some raid. Those with moderator rank are supposed to make sure the bot runs smooth, act as referees and inhibitors if there is drama and take responsibility over the continuity of the bot.

More can be added if needed but that should get things started.

For forum sections I would go with the same. Private section can be useful for handling any drama cases and to distribute the info about potential problems. But on froob200 we never had any kind of need for such so I don't see why there is now.

Just get it started and go where it takes you :).

Edit: Perhaps the old threads for Froob200 and TL5+ could be moved here?
Lusto (level 200 doc) Lostu (level 200 adv) Losto (level 200 MP) Lustu (level 199 Soldier)
Lyrangitus (level 100 Trader) Lyran (level 74 Agent) Lyrangitis (level 25 Doctor)
Froob Since 2005, Member of Wolf Brigade, Founding Member of Froob200

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 pm

For now it's set up to be Raidleaders and Moderaidtors. I'd like to hear more people before I consider this to be set in stone. If somebody can make an icon for Froobraid that can be used as a rank-icon, that would be awesome! So about the size of the icon that changes with postcount.

I think we will not have a private section, but the PMing to a group seems to work now. This can be used if we really need to speak in private for some reason. It can also be used if somebody wants to contact us privately. Maybe it will break once there are more than 5 Moderaidtors (since you can't PM more than 5 people at once) or maybe Snarf isn't in favor of this (...?), so we'll see.
Lusto wrote:Edit: Perhaps the old threads for Froob200 and TL5+ could be moved here?
Done!
RK2

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 pm

The private section was handy for communicating with more than one person at once when the Tara issue came up. Granted, that was something outside our control and wouldn't come up regularly, but I'm fine with it either way.

As of right now, I'd rather be a moderator/admin on the bot. I can't say for certain how long I'll be playing regularly and hence being able to lead raids and such.

idef
Flagged
Flagged

Post by idef » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:35 pm

I vote for private section.
-pm inbox has 50 message limit
-much harder to read through old stuff in pm reply jungle
-new mods can't see the old conversations in pm boxes
-easy to forget to add all mods as recipients
-you can move thread from one forum to other much easier and keep all original posts as posts, not just quotes
-at least on tl5forums we had tons of threads there so I believe there is a need for it
Don't ask me, I just lurk here... and post mostly webdev stuff. What was this forum about again?
Idef 174 fixer / Badhorse 200 crat with the hat / Aidef 220/30/70 fixer (this one might be paid)

Lusto
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Lusto » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm

EDTA wrote:
Lusto wrote:Edit: Perhaps the old threads for Froob200 and TL5+ could be moved here?
Done!
You forgot the older Froob200 thread, from the days of glory and honor ;-)

http://www.aofroobs.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lusto (level 200 doc) Lostu (level 200 adv) Losto (level 200 MP) Lustu (level 199 Soldier)
Lyrangitus (level 100 Trader) Lyran (level 74 Agent) Lyrangitis (level 25 Doctor)
Froob Since 2005, Member of Wolf Brigade, Founding Member of Froob200

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:07 am

Lusto wrote: You forgot the older Froob200 thread, from the days of glory and honor ;-)

http://www.aofroobs.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You guys have 2 threads? Greedy people!
RK2

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 am

We definitely need to save the MSpaint thread.

snarfblatt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snarfblatt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:31 am

EDTA wrote:For now it's set up to be Raidleaders and Moderaidtors. I'd like to hear more people before I consider this to be set in stone. If somebody can make an icon for Froobraid that can be used as a rank-icon, that would be awesome! So about the size of the icon that changes with postcount.

I think we will not have a private section, but the PMing to a group seems to work now. This can be used if we really need to speak in private for some reason. It can also be used if somebody wants to contact us privately. Maybe it will break once there are more than 5 Moderaidtors (since you can't PM more than 5 people at once) or maybe Snarf isn't in favor of this (...?), so we'll see.
Done!
I'll do my best to facilitate whatever you guys need. Even though I don't play anymore, I still want to support the efforts of the froob community, so whatever you guys want to do, go for it (as long as you don't break the forum) :)
Rubi-Ka 2 (Rimor)
Snarfblatt (Engie) - Ex-President - Knights of Ka
Studmuffin (Advie)
Beatinstik (Enforcer)
Roleo (Soldier)
Schemp (MP)
McLuvvin (Keeper)
Jamesblatt (Agent)
Snarfette (Engie)
Misokute (Doctor)
Snarftech (NT)
Snarfix (Fixer)
Rubi-Ka 1 (Atlantean)
Snarfblatt (Engie)

mortem
Flagged
Flagged

Post by mortem » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Something I'd wish to see would be a sticky somewhere with the name (main) and rank of every single person that has any rank above member, and additional information like who has mod/admin rank here on the forums, and who hosts the bot(s). It could include the descriptions/duties of all of the ranks as well.

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Ok, so somebody requested to become moderator. That made me think about how we should assign ranks. I propose the following:

- Raidleader: If somebody organized some raids already and wants to become raidleader, they'll be made raidleader.
- Moderator: If somebody is known by current moderators as somebody that can be trusted, they can become moderator. May be best to discuss it with other active moderators.

I suppose 'need' plays a factor too. If we have plenty active raidleaders/moderators, it's not necessary to appoint more. It doesn't really hurt either.

Also, I realize his question was directed to me personally. I'd like to point out that I'm not the leader of this bunch at all, although I suppose at times I may come across as such. I'm just setting this all up because it didn't look like anybody else was doing it. I'm actually very inactive and barely play AO. It's probably better to direct questions like that to either more active moderators or to all moderators: you could for example use the Moderaidtor PM function, or post in some place in this public forum or ask around in the bot channel.
snarfblatt wrote:I'll do my best to facilitate whatever you guys need. Even though I don't play anymore, I still want to support the efforts of the froob community, so whatever you guys want to do, go for it (as long as you don't break the forum) :)
Thanks! Contrary to what you assumed in your PM, I don't actually have experience with phpBB, but I'm careful and smart enough and it's quite straightforward so I'm pretty sure I managed and will manage without breaking stuff :).
RK2

mortem
Flagged
Flagged

Post by mortem » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:38 am

Edta mentioned setting up some sort of a command tent thing for discussing strategies. I don't know if this is exactly what they meant, but it got me thinking that there should be a master list of raid areas with details on where, what and how to do each raid. With pics. I think this would work best as a separate forum section wherein there is one master topic at the top, stickied, with a compilation of the strategies of all raid areas and kept clean of comments, and other threads are posted in regard to individual areas. I suppose it would also work in a general strategies section, but unless there is no character cap on posts, I think there needs to not be comments in the thread, in case it needs to be expanded to multiple posts. It might also work with each area/boss being a separate post in a thread, so as to allow an easier, linkable table of contents on the first post. While there is some general information on raid areas available on AOU, there's some very useful froob-only info that would be great to share that isn't available there, such as how many people to bring, how many docs we might need and any special profs like mp's at HI and what they are supposed to do. Labeling who has aoe nukes, who can and cannot be debuffed by what and what lead to wipes in the past. Maybe even a difficulty rating system from between (1) soloable at 200 to (10) we haven't killed it yet. I've got a bit of knowledge about most/all of the raid areas, and am willing to set up/work on a project like this if we can decide on a format that would work for everyone.

Thoughts?
Gnome 200 Fix | Corpus 200 1hb MP | Veikr TL5 Pistol NT | Mortem 200 Agent | Ziekte TL6 Trader | R# TL6 Piercing Enf | Knot 200 TS Engi
General of The Soul Society - Member of Ab Aeterno Animus Liberi - Member of Froob200 since Oct '11

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Sounds like you just volunteered! Congratulations.

tgjensen
Hardened
Hardened

Post by tgjensen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Haha, yeah. It would be a great addition though. Both for keeping track of those pesky details like when do you need to start NSD'ing the HI champions, as well as for serving as introductory texts for new raiders. The fact that TL5+ kept a log of what nanos Nirtox is going to throw at us is immensely helpful, for example. And when I did my very first Hezak raid in January it was extremely helpful to have Lusto there to guide me. That stuff would be great to have in text as well.
Carrion level 200 Soldier
Piroth level 200 Nano-Technician
Ianney level 200 Bureaucrat
Gerbil level 200 Enforcer