Melee Agent

Khaler
Amateur
Amateur

Melee Agent

Post by Khaler » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:03 am

So, I'm thinking of respeccing my 23 Agent as a melee DPS character. First of all, what 1he weaps are there that are good weaps and agentable? I was planning on dualling Phase Blades, but I'm not sure about after that, since Chirops and Crispy Chirops are Advy and Enf only. Also, would melee agent work to group with a fixer, if I stay up to date on gear and evades?
"When I was, a young boy, my father, took me into the city, to see a marching band. He said 'Son when, you grow up, will you be, the savior of the broken, the beaten and the damned?'"

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Melee Agent

Post by Briandmg » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:23 am

Khaler wrote:So, I'm thinking of respeccing my 23 Agent as a melee DPS character. First of all, what 1he weaps are there that are good weaps and agentable?
First, allow me to say that this idea is brilliant and brave. Given the recent changes to false professions, trader drains, etc., melee agents are much more viable than they were before. I even daresay that a melee agent would be potentially more potent than your typical yatamutchy-wielding agent now, if you pull it off correctly.

If you are looking exclusively at 1hE weapons, the current one you would want to slap on your agent now would be Nervejolters. https://aoitems.com/item/152025/nervejolter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are better than phase blades, and are easier to obtain since you can get a L220 to run you through the Steps of Madness dungeon to get a pair of them easily.

After which, the next sensible upgrade would be a Frozen Tear of Uklesh. https://aoitems.com/item/204739/frozen-tear-of-uklesh/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While a great weapon, these are extremely rare and difficult to get. They drop off Uklesh in TotW, and will last you for quite a while (until about L80, after which they become quite ineffective).

For the mid levels, you will be looking at SOL Fire Executioner(s) (QL 130+), and Meibutsu Daito(s) (QL 110+).
https://aoitems.com/item/160237/130/sol ... er-type-f/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://aoitems.com/item/164005/110/mei ... -and-fist/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These weapons have very low minimum damage, but should work relatively well on Rubi-Ka mobs. Upgrade them consistently to make sure they are still effective on your melee agent.

Once you can hit 909 Fast attack, switch to the Gelid blade of Inobak. https://aoitems.com/item/206057/gelid-blade-of-inobak/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These will be your endgame weapons, and will be vastly superior to SOLs or Meibutsu Daitos.

As an alternate suggestion, I would recommend going for piercing instead. Start off with Fear-Forged Blades. https://aoitems.com/item/151903/fear-forged-blade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After about L50, Use Improved Tango Dirks and Chicanery of appropriate QLs after that.
https://aoitems.com/item/206706/improved-tango-dirk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://aoitems.com/item/207973/chicanery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a side note, I would probably FP trader all the way, and stack mad drains on my agent for some nifty AR boosts. That would greatly increase his DPS. I would also get my concentration and sureshot/trueshot nanos on my agent ASAP. These would allow me to deal some mad crit damage, which would be useful in increasing my burst damage output (which melee agents typically lack).

TLDR:
1hE = Nervejolters -> Frozen Tear of Uklesh -> SOLs or Meibutsu Daitos -> Gelid blade of Inobak
Piercing = Fear Forged Blades -> Improved Tango Dirks -> Chicanery
The Ultimate Endgame Froob PvP Guide :OO
All you ever needed to know to make your L200 froob toon a beast in PvP. :P

Khaler
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Khaler » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll just make a 2nd agent for melee. But, is Piercing viable for a froob at all really? My fixer can solo named for FFBs without too much difficulty, but what would I use until those are duallable? I can't see being able to dual them before 50, and even that feels like a stretch. Also, Str/Agility/Sense with intel and stm when needed, as an Opifex Agent?
"When I was, a young boy, my father, took me into the city, to see a marching band. He said 'Son when, you grow up, will you be, the savior of the broken, the beaten and the damned?'"

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Briandmg » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:28 pm

Well you would use the starter noob-isle piercing weapons (upgraded ones of course). Following which, you could use QL 15-50 Improved Tango Dirks before FFBs.
Khaler wrote: I can't see being able to dual them before 50, and even that feels like a stretch.
Ahah! The main challenge in wielding the FFBs is actually in getting enough NCU to hold enough buffs to equip them.
Fast Attack - The 101 requirement is easily met with low QL implants and the normal expertise buff.
Sneak Attack - There are plenty of new OSBs for Sneak Attack. You can buff 30 points of sneak attack for as cheap as 6 NCU: https://aoitems.com/nano/strain/208/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Piercing - Besides the 131 wrangle, you will need to FP a trader, and cast double drains. If you really want to push it, this means you need to hold x2 mochams, the wrangle, your normal expertise buffs, and your double drains. If you like hardcore twinking, this can be done anytime after you get your 5 or 6 slot belt on (which I think would be L15). If you're a bit more sane, this can easily be done at L25, when you can run Retool NCU for a nifty +40 NCU.

So realistically speaking, the moment you can FP trader, you should begin upgrading your NCU by using the trader FP-ed comp lit buffs. This will allow you to get the outside buffs you need to duel wield FFBs by L25 relatively easily.
Khaler wrote:Also, Str/Agility/Sense with intel and stm when needed, as an Opifex Agent?
Hmm. This would depend a lot on which weapons you end up using actually. I doubt you need agility/sense that much since those tend to benefit rifle/aimed shot skills. Check what primary attributes your melee skills depend on, and raise those accordingly. Intel should be maxed IMO since it affects you using your entire nano toolset. I believe IP distribution for melee agents should be pretty tight.

Khaler
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Khaler » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:40 pm

I mean with only self buffs, so it doesn't majorly OE me when the buffs wear off (if that happens).

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Briandmg » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:36 am

As long as you FP a trader to ladder drains after all your OSBs wear off, you should have no problem keeping your equipment out of OE.

Khaler
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Khaler » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:59 am

Also, do ITDs and Chics have Sneak Attack and Fast Attack?

meraimon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by meraimon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:28 am

As a melee agent, you should be looking at melee weapons with good crit mods. Piercing should work well, If you are nanomage you could try The melee energy Sockdolager or the Piercing Flea Bite.

Khaler
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Khaler » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Just wish Agents could use Chirops. If they could, I'd go 1he and eventually use Crispy/Gelid. Crispy for specials, Gelid for dmg/proc. I also wish that froob sneak attack wss viable for Agents.

Khaler
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Khaler » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:04 pm

Thought of an idea. DPS may be low, but using upgraded Arete daggers (with 2 poison injector bracelets and a range meter) til I can use FFBs, then when I outlevel those, I use ITDs, Chicaneries and Newland Fish Knives til I can dual Jagged Claws, and use those til I can dual (and get someone to tradeskill) Mangler Claws, with those as my endgame weps. Who said CoH has no Piercing weps? Who said melee agents are impossible? The answer to both is people who are wrong.

Rain
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Rain » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:10 am

Mangler claws are extremely slow and sadly no decent endgame gear.

Have a look at the Chicanery Briandmg suggested.
Endgame would be either Slayer claws or one of the -870 weapons.
The mark of a truly superior player is the use of his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
Jensenberg | Bureaucrat
Odeleder | Trader
Intellant | Meta-physicist
Smierc | Martial Artist
Nicolaj | Agent
Snaut | Engineer
WeylanYutani | Enforcer

R.I.P Atlantean - THE Raidbot

Khaler
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Khaler » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:44 am

Are there no endgame Sneak Attack weapons aside from Crispy Chirops that don't require expansions?

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:19 am

Enhanced Mantis Scissors are probably the best ones that aren't profession-locked.
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 182 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat
Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer Kvada 80 enforcer Babysaav 66 doctor
Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer Ealhswith 56 agent
Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

Khaler
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Khaler » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:36 am

That was exactly what I was looking for. Too bad they're 1he. Guess I could use one of those with a Gelid Blade of Inobak.