Evades. How do they work?

Got something related to in-game that doesn't really fit elsewhere? This is the place.
Khaler
Amateur
Amateur

Evades. How do they work?

Post by Khaler » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:22 pm

So, I've gathered that evades are 95% useless on full Agg (slightly decreases enemy crit chance). Can anyone confirm this?
"When I was, a young boy, my father, took me into the city, to see a marching band. He said 'Son when, you grow up, will you be, the savior of the broken, the beaten and the damned?'"

Rain
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Evades. How do they work?

Post by Rain » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:55 pm

The 95% seem rather arbitrary, but its basically true.
Ao Universe does not mention hard numbers there, so I suspect the exact numbers are only known to (previous) FC employees.

At full aggro, your evades are slightly less effective while your AddAllDefence gets totally mauled.
Since you evade less, you are more likely to get critically hit where it hurts.

If you like math a lot more than I do, you could even have a look here, to get the ultimate, definite answer.
The mark of a truly superior player is the use of his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
Jensenberg | Bureaucrat
Odeleder | Trader
Intellant | Meta-physicist
Smierc | Martial Artist
Nicolaj | Agent
Snaut | Engineer
WeylanYutani | Enforcer

R.I.P Atlantean - THE Raidbot

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:20 am

I'm the author of the first AOU article that Rain quoted. The exact formula isn't known by me, so I didn't factor it into my calculations for the Agg/Def slider, and the fact is that Aigen/Kuracup effectively thoroughly reverse engineered the formula for how evades factor into each attack cycle.

The bigger question would that of going full Agg. I can understand at lower levels when your inits do not allow your weapon to be 1/1 that a player would go full Agg, but the Agg/Def slider is one of those things that you should keep "up to date" along with everything else. The moment you have enough init to start backing down on your Agg/Def slider, you should so that you maintain your weapon's full speed while starting to gain the advantage of ADD that increasing the slider towards Def.

Even if evades are 95% percent useless at full Def for your particular character (though if you skip down to the last part of the second article, I summarize how you can use the formulas to compute exactly how useless evades are for you at full Def, by plugging in your numbers and then using the formula to compute exactly how different your "gonna get hit" rate will be if you raised your evades by plugging in theoretical numbers).

There's rarely anything in this game that you can make sweeping statements about. If you have invested IP everywhere else and you want to improve your survivability, why not put the rest into evades? Even by 5%.

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:15 am

Llie wrote:excellent post
=D>