Never played AO before, any good guides for it?

Got something related to in-game that doesn't really fit elsewhere? This is the place.
Ciciro
Rookie
Rookie

Never played AO before, any good guides for it?

Post by Ciciro » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Long story short, been wanting to get into AO for awhile but the learning curb has been putting me off. Know any good guides for new, froob players?

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Re: Never played AO before, any good guides for it?

Post by Saavick » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Welcome to AO and to aofroobs :-)

Have a look in the Knowledge Database and General forum sections, there's plenty of info there. Also feel free to ask questions of course :)

If you're looking for guides on specific topics, ao-universe.com is also a pretty good source.

If you're still on Arete (the starter area), send an ingame tell to Aquest; it's a bot with many guides specifically for Arete.
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 185 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Richilde 136 adventurer Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer
Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer
Kvada 80 enforcer Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer
Ealhswith 56 agent Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:36 pm

All of my knowledge is pretty out of date, but I'd be happy to answer any and all questions (here, not in game, I haven't logged in ages).

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:35 am

Welcome!

Anarchy Online actually has a fairly steep learning curve compared to most RPGs. Just for comparison sake, the simplest RPGs simply give you new skills as you level. You might be able to pick which skill to level up next, but there isn't much more control than that. Most older games reward you with "skill points' as you level, and you can invest those points in whatever skill you want. The current flavor of RPGs is "skill tree" based, wherein you just click on the next skill in the tree and there will be advice on-line for specific "builds" gets you to a successful character.

AO is based on the older "invest points into skills" format, except that instead of 5 or 6 skills to choose from there are a couple of dozen different skills where you can invest points (if you are a paid subscriber, there is essentially an additional "skill tree" that you can pick with Shadowlands and Alien Invasion "perks" as well as new skills each level via Lost Eden "research"). Although you could invest your skill points in any skill, each skill is "weighted" depending on the profession so that you are encouraged to invest in specific skills depending on your profession.

So that being said, there's a ton of knowledge that you could try to acquire but if you tried to do it that way, you'd never really manage to get into the game. Each profession has a ton of stuff you could learn about, so I think the first thing you should focus on is picking a profession that suits you. Even selecting a profession can be a big deal. I think one mistake some people make is making one of each profession and trying to play them all to see which they like best. Although that's fine for a few early levels, eventually it becomes overwhelming to try to learn how to play more than one or two professions at a time.

I'll try to break down the choices into groups in order (by my opinion) of how complicated the profession is to learn:

Straightforward all-around professions include Adventure and Martial Artists. Adventurers are encouraged to dual-wield edged weapons or pistols, while Martial Artists need no weapons at all (though some weapons enhance their unarmed attacks), which is nice because you're not constantly trying to upgrade your weapons to stay competitive. Both professions come with the ability to heal yourself and others. Being able to heal yourself in addition to health stims will go a long way to staying alive during fights. Adventurers have the additional ability to "morph" into other creatures.

Slightly less straightforward combat-oriented professions would include Enforcers, Soldiers, Fixers, and Traders. Enforcers main advantage is the ability to have a huge pool of health. Soldiers have access to some big damage reflecting shields. Fixers have the ability to constantly and passively heal themselves over time. Traders can drain enemies skills while simultaneously enhancing their own skills. While those these skills makes these professions sound like they're the easiest to play, that's not actually the case. They're slightly more complicated to play than just standing toe-to-toe with your enemy and beating them into submission. Enforcers are encouraged to use melee weapons, while soldiers are encouraged to use ranged weapons, fixers are supposed to use machine guns, and traders are supposed to use shotguns. These professions are far better when teamed with others that can leverage their talents. Enforcers are probably the easiest to learn to play of this group of professions, and traders probably the more difficult of this bunch.

Pet professions come next with Engineers, Meta-Physicists, and Bureaucrats. Pets go a long way toward protecting you, but because pet management can be complicated while you're also running around and fighting. Engineers (froob ones anyways) have only one pet, so so they're the most straightforward. MPs can have up to 3 pets (one attack pet, one calm pet, and one heal pet), while Bureaucrats can have 1 pet, but up to 2 "charmed" pets. Managing charmed pets can be pretty complicated.

Of the remaining professions:

Next comes the Doctor profession. Doctors aren't really strong with any weapon (but pistols seem to be preferred), but they can heal themselves. The problem is at some point doctors' success will depend more on their ability to defeat an enemy (doing direct damage) than their ability to heal themselves. Battles can drag out for ages if a doctor is a good healer but a poor fighter. This makes building a good all-around doctor difficult.

Then there's the Agent profession. Agents are supposed to sneak around and use sniper rifles. Agents can also use many of the abilities of other professions, though at a penalty. Again sounds great to be able to be any profession, except there's so much more to learn.

Finally, there are Nano-Technicians, which is the equivalent to the "wizard" of other RPGs. This is actually the profession that I've played from when I first started this game, but NT's can be really hard to keep alive, so I stuck NT's down here at the bottom of the list. Sound great to be able to "cast spells" that do direct damage on all the nearby enemies, but when all the nearby enemies then start attacking you, that doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore.

Once you pick a profession, check out the specific profession guides on ao-universe.com. Once you pick a profession and then focus on learning how to play that profession and I think that will flatten out the learning curve for you.

Ciciro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ciciro » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks for the replies! Been trying to decide what class I wanted to be. In the meantime, what would you guys say is the state of the game currently?

Bowgie
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Bowgie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Bookmark this website. I find it really handy when I have a question in-game about a specific quest, location, or tradeskill process:

http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "Classic AO" section is most helpful to Froobs.

As far as the state of the game, it's seen more improvements this year by far than ever before. On a negative side, it badly needs more players for teaming in the game, and for AO to make enough money to keep the game going.

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:18 am

Bowgie wrote:On a negative side, it badly needs more players for teaming in the game
Time of day is an important factor here; in my experience, the population is big enough to get teams every day during the European evening. More people is always better of course, but it's not bad as is.
In the European mornings it's very quiet though.
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 185 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Richilde 136 adventurer Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer
Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer
Kvada 80 enforcer Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer
Ealhswith 56 agent Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

Bigtoad702
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bigtoad702 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:40 am

Good posts so far. If I could add anything it's just that the game's "hand-holding" of new players ends after the starting area. You'll find credits, or more importantly the lack of them, will be the most inhibiting factor. There are dozens of forum posts on ways of making credits as a lowbie which are quick reads that will help. In addition to AO-Universe There are regular posters on YouTube too. I consult them all regularly.

Before worrying about credits though, play one of every type of profession through Arete. Some leave as early as level 12, while others stick around to level 18 or 19. Learn how the combat system works, and especially aggro. Learn how to distribute improvement points (IP's) into skills that will help you succeed, and more importantly which to avoid so you will avoid difficulty later on. Read the profession guides here and on the official AO boards - most of these are old, but still accurate. Pay attention to the message you get at level 15 about the insurance system for when the mob wins. :mrgreen:

Read up on how the PvP system works too. It's not like other games - and without realizing it, you can get flagged and suddenly ganked for simply using your profession's skill set in the vicinity of someone else who is flagged for PvP.

Consider if you want to pick a "side" in the RK conflict (Omni, Clan, neutral). It's not mandatory and you can change your mind later on. I'm not sure you can ever change from Omni to neutral or Clan to neutral... I haven't tried. Each side has it's own benefits which makes it difficult to say definitively which is better - it's comparing apples to oranges to lemons.

I'll add this on the state of the game since you asked: the most recent developer seems genuinely interested in adding content, fixing bugs and listening to players. This was not true historically. The company, though, is also actively seeking a buyer and recent interviews with a founding member stated the game rarely made money. Even so, the current lead dev says he plans on being here at least another year so I don't think it's going to fold anytime soon.

The player base that remains (seems about 50/50 European & American) here tends to be very supportive, though there are still asshats who remind me why I play solo.

Watch for the occasional awesome seasonal event. While these used to be high-level players only, events now include lowbie content. Currently we're in the Halloween event (until next week) and there are special/visual/skill buffing items that can only be obtained during the event.

If you're so inclined, there are organizations (aka guilds) which can be extremely helpful. Again though, with the shrunken player base, off-peak-time players can be few and far between.

If I sound negative, I'm not trying to be. I think this is BY FAR the most challenging and rewarding RPG I've ever played... even if the graphics are from 1999. ^^ Oh! Nearly forgot! You can run multiple instances of the game at one time! Create different accounts and run them around together unlike most other games.
Toad

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:15 pm

Not that I have the money anyway (well, maybe), but how much are they asking for the game, or is that even known?

EDIT: Also, can I get a link to that interview, if you don't mind?

Bigtoad702
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bigtoad702 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:33 pm

:( I was at work and was bored so only the Lord and my work PC know where I was hunting... I'll see if I can't find it on Monday.

Bigtoad702
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bigtoad702 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:08 am

Found it.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/10100/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/10102/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be sure to read part 2 as well. Very insightful stuff from someone who founded AO.

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:12 pm

:D Thank you!

stodge
Amateur
Amateur

Post by stodge » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:05 pm

Ciciro wrote:Long story short, been wanting to get into AO for awhile but the learning curb has been putting me off. Know any good guides for new, froob players?
You are served: Like the best ever game guide?!.
Keep in mind it may contain some wrong information due to recent game changes... but the core is still most valuable.
Oh...btw... welcome to AO/AOFroobs.com :mrgreen: .
Have much fun.