Skill lock guide - List of all frubi right-clickable items

Post here to share information about places you've been, tips you have, or anything you feel would be worthwhile for others to know about.
Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Skill lock guide - List of all frubi right-clickable items

Post by Accomplice » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:55 am

Note: I am not very good (or patient) at writing long elaborate guides, so please forgive my sloppy style.

What is skill lock?

I'll just give a very simple and all too common example.
After a battle, you usually sit down, target yourself, and right-click your nano recharger and treatment laboratory stacks. When you rightclick them twice in a row, you will get a system message that your TimeSpace or Treatment skill respectively are locked for 20 or 25 seconds.

That's skill lock: The use of an item is limited to once every few seconds/minutes/hours.

You may think, ok, so there is a time limit on the repeated use of certain items, but why do they lock on my stats like treatment/first aid/timespace and whatnot?
The answer is: to lock not only single items, but groups of items.

Another example: First aid stims (restore HP), nano stims (restore nano points), advanced restoration kits (restore HP and nano) all lock First Aid skill for 40 seconds. This is to prevent you from using all three kits at once, since it may make things too easy :P Well, blame FC for this design, but we'll have to cope with it :)

Oh, and to clear out a common misconception made by nubis: Skill lock items do not debuff your skill when they lock it.

List of skill locking items

I will attempt to compile a list with all froob friendly and also useful items that lock on all the different skills. There are more than one might think of at first, and combining them may improve your performance in battle quite a bit.

I would appreciate if people could fill me in if I left out anything relevant.

Format is <Name of item>: <effect on use> (optional: <duration>), <skill lock duration>* (optional: <comment>)

*some items' lock time vary depending on their QL. If I use the term "locks for x downto y", this means that the higher the QL, the shorter the lock, else it's the other way round.

Base abilities
  • Srength
    • Barrow Strength: buffs +50 damage/100% root,snare,stun resist for 15 seconds, locks for 20 minutes.
      Might of the Revenant: buffs +120 damage/100% root,snare,stun resist for 15 seconds, locks for 12 Minutes. Higher version of Barrow.
    Psychic
    • Notum Focus: restores 800 nano points, locks for 30 minutes. Though it has reqs to equip, it has no reqs for just using it.
Body
  • Martial Arts
    A multitude on MA special attacks locks on this skill. You can only use one at a time and have to wait for the skill lock recharge. So better chose wisely according to the sitution :) Listed QL200 ones.
    • Attack Of the snake: Does a rather little direct damage, locks for 10s to 15s. Very fast recharge, but not really worth using.
      Bird of prey: Does a moderate direct damage with 10% stun chance, locks for around 30s. Still not quite worth it...
      Blessed with Thunder: Hits a direct damage and lands a damage over time, locks for 40 seconds. Best DD special attack for MAs. Clearly does most damage over time.
      Angel Of night: Does a quite low AOE damage, also debuffs all basic skills for quite alot for 2mins, locks for 7:30 down to 5:50. Pretty much not worth it unless for shadow cenobite hunting in CoH.
      Ape fist of Khalum: Does a very low direct damage, and has a 50% to stun target, locks for 19 seconds.
      Blue Bright cloudless sky: Has 100% chance of stunning target for 4.32 secs, does a little damage, debuffs target's inits for 40 secs, locks for 3 minutes. Fun for pvp, useful in pvm.
      Flower Of Life: Heals user for huge amount of HP, debuffs target AAD/Runspeed considerable for 10 secs, Locks for 5 minutes. A real life saver, but locks your other MA Attacks for quite a long time. (Thanks Apphire for reminding me)
    Brawl
    nothing I know. Well, the brawl special attack itself locks on brawl, but that's pretty trivial

Dimach
    The Dimach special attack >.> Trivial.
    • Tree Of Enlightenment: Does 120 direct damage, does 290 HP team heal. locks for 39 seconds. Rather nice to have at TL2/3. Becomes negligible at TL5+
    Riposte
    • Upon a wave of summer: Buffs own runspeed and nanoresist for 20 seconds by quite a bit, debuffs target's runspeed, reduces snares/roots on self, 5-20% chance to stun target. locks for around 2 minutes depending on QL.
    Adventuring
    • JJ's Berry: Heals for 300-350 HP. locks for 1 minute. Quite an oddity, can only be looted singly, does not stack, not too common drop, only requires 1st aid, but locks adventuring. *shurg*
    Swimming
    • Swim Stim: buffs a lot of swimming for 3 mins, then debuffs a little swim for 4 minutes, locks for 6 mins. Utterly dispensible. (But thanks, Tigerdragon)
    Bodydev
    • withered flesh: Gives 500 absorbs for 20 seconds, locks for 20 minutes.
      Corrupted FleshGives 500 absorbs for 20 seconds, locks for 20 minutes. Exactly same effect as Withered Flesh. Not even worth wearing as shoulder armor.
      Bloodleech ring: Hits target for 100 damage, heals you for 75 HP, locks for 1 min. Kinda useful for TL2....
      Bloodslave ring: Hits target for 620 damage, heals you for 420 HP, locks for 2 mins. Ok to have.
    Nanopool
    • Purifying Rod: Breaks all DoTs, Roots, Snares and Init debuffs on you. locks for 10 minutes. Useful in PvP, nice to have in some PvM.
      Rod of Dismissal: Breaks all DoTs, Roots, Snares and Init debuffs on you. locks for 5 minutes. More useful in PvP, nicer to have in some PvM.
    Max Health
    This is not a stat, but there are items that lock on this. *shrug*
    • Boosted Stim: Heals a very HP, increases max HP for a little bit, increases Melee/Phys init for a bit for the first 30 secs, then debuffs HP and those inits for a tiny bit for 60 secs. locks for 5 minutes. Not really worth using, just mentioning for the record.
    Max Nano
    • Notum Splice: restores 1000 nano points over 20 seconds, locks for 10 minutes. Only usable by NTs.
Misc Weapons
  • Heavy Weapons
    Nothing that I know

Grenade
    • May Fly Throwing Grenade: does a decent AOE damage, locks for 20 secs. Not worth it. It has to be carried around in a secured shell which is unique, and has to be used up in 20 secs when it has been activated, else it vanishes.
    Sharp Obj
    • Kizzermole Gumboil: Does a 660-1980 direct damage, locks for 30 secs. Pretty popular with lowbie pvp twinks and highby froobs with too much IP.
      Circus throwing dagger: Does 200-400 direct damage, locks for 10 secs. Still gets outperformed by Kizzers easily. Rare and not worth it.
Melee
There is only one skill in this tab that has items locking it, so I will just leave out anything else. Unless i forgot something, in that case please let me know.
  • Parry
    • Deflection Shields: Boost different AC types considerably for 25 to 40 sec depending on QL, locks for 5 minutes.
      Adventure shields: Boost different AC types considerably for 25 to 40 sec depending on QL, locks for 2 minutes. Advie only. Can be built from deflection shields except for poison version, which can only be found as loot.
Ranged
Only two stats in this tab come into my mind that have items locking them. Please let me know if there are more.
Last edited by Accomplice on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:31 am, edited 28 times in total.

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:56 am

Speed
Only 2 skills I know that have respective items. Please fill me in in case there is more.
  • Runspeed
    • Burst of speed stim: Buffs large amount of runspeed for 1 minute, then debuffs a little runspeed for following 4 mins, locks for 4 minutes.
      Boots of infinite speed: Casts adv buff Terrain knowledge onto user (+40 runspeed for 30 mins), locks for 10 mins. (thanks, tigerdragon!)
      Steaming Hot Cup of Enhanced Coffee: +18 aggdef, +12 all inits, +24 swim/runspeed, +1 crit chance for 5 minutes, locks for 5 minutes. Yes, you can chain-use crat coffee for the ultimate coffein kick o.0
    Duck Exp.
Trade & Repair
  • Mech Eng
    Nothing. Fill me in if you can.

Elec. Eng Weap Smith
    Nothing. Fill me in.

PharmaTech
    • All kinds of (Hacked) Pills: Casts a respective buff onto you, locks for 3 mins. Not worth it at all. You can only blitz single pills, and they get consumed on use. Too little gain for too much work.
      All kinds of (Hacked) Blister Packs: Casts a respective buff onto you, locks for 3 mins. A little better than pills, since they are blitzable as stacks. I personally can only recommend the HoT ones. Size of stack depends on mish QL, Max stack of 18 @ QL200.
      The Extruder: Makes Extruder Nutrition Bars (see below), locks for 45 secs. Trader only.
      Extruder Nutrition Bar: buffs all base abilities by 2 points for 1 min, 24 runspeed and 3 Attack rating for 2 mins, locks for 5 mins. Requires Lvl50+
    QuantumField
    No idea, fill me in.

Chemistry
    No idea.

CompLit Nano programming Psychology
    A couple of taunting tools here.
    • Da Taunter!!: Taunts target :evil:, locks for 6 secs. Trox only.
      Aggression Multiplier: Taunts target :twisted:, locks for 6 secs. No breed reqs, but nasty psychology req.
      Library of Foul Language: Taunts target, locks for 6 secs. Slightly higher amount of taunt than the previous two. Enf only. (Thanks, Flyingengi)
      Aggression Multiplier (Jealousy Augmented): Taunts target for more than twice of an ordinary Agg multiplier, locks for 6 secs. Very rare and expensive.
      Modified Aggression Enhancer: Exactly same effect as Agg Multiplier (see above), locks for 6 secs. Can be equipped by solitus, rare and expensive.
      Emotional Sponge: Makes a fighting target forget about you. locks for 12 minutes. Very rare. Around 1% droprate. (Thanks, Tigerdragon)
    Tutoring
    • All kinds of Tutoring devices: Buffs respective tradeskill by 1 to 50 points depending on QL for 2 mins, locks for 3 mins.
Nano & Aiding
All sorts of grafts lock on the different nano skills. I have linked a list on the official forums with the most useful ones. As for now, I am just going to name a few for each nano skill.
Boosted-grafts lock skills for 30 mins downto 13:20 minutes, depending on QL.

Also all kinds of (hacked) nano critters and (hacked) nano fingers.

Aparty from general nanos, while grafts mostly carry beneficial buffs, critters and fingers mostly have hostile nanos such as profession specific debuffs, DoTs or nukes.

I do not consider them worth using though, because they come in low quantities or stacks, and only contain lowbie nanos. If you want some extra damage in your lowbie PvP, you might consider the one or other DoT, but then again, there is always the totw ring.
Last edited by Accomplice on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:26 am, edited 26 times in total.

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:57 am

Spying
  • Perception
    • Aged Brandy: buffs 20 HP and -4 AAO for 10 mins, locks for 1 min. Saavick claims that you can stack the effect. Can't confirm that (yet) (Thanks to Tigerdragon)
Navigation
Nothing

Others
  • Radiation AC
    • Bioremediation Stim: buffs 500 Rad AC for 30 minutes, locks for 30 minutes. (Thanks, Tigerdragon)
    Chemical AC
    • Polymerizing Stim: buffs 500 Chem AC for 30 minutes, locks for 30 mintues. (Thanks, Tigerdragon)
    Faction
    • Omni and clan application forms: Changes your side, locks for 40 secs up to 7 days, depending on QL. LvL locked to QL. Using it will make you lose tokens if you were on the opposite side before.
      Agent Undercover kits: Allows agents to change sides without losing previous side tokens, locks for 6:40 mins up to 5 days 20 hours 13 mins 20 secs, nodrop, incredibly hard to roll.
Well, that's all I could find. Feel free to suggest more useful items.
Last edited by Accomplice on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:12 am, edited 8 times in total.

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:57 am

Reducing Skill lock time:

For froobs there is only a very few ways to shorten the skill lock time on *some* of those items mentioned above. So far, I can only confirm it on grafts.

You can implant skill lock modifier, and there are is the Improved Cut Red Tape buff from crats that reduces it further. Enf/trad/agent can wear a veil of the revoked on the back, which gives another -5 skill lock.

The modifier effects the lock time in percent, i.e. if you have -3 skill lock implanted, grafts will take 3% less time to recharge. Obviously, items with short lock time will not be effected too much by that, but those 13:20 min grafts will be reduced to ~ 12:53 mins. Not much, but ok.

Conclusion

This is now a huge list, and for the individual, only a limited number of those items is relevant.
The list is supposed to be giving you an idea what items actually exist out there, and you decide which ones are worthy getting for your prof :)

On my advie for example, I use Parry Shields, Kizzermoles, some IS rings, HoT pills, root and dmg grafts, occasionally a reflect graft, crat coffee if I can remember it, IS pads etc.

Happy digging in the options :)
Last edited by Accomplice on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
mmorpg addiction... [1][2][3]

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:42 am

/mod hat : I can clean thread from "you missed this or you re wrong there" once it has settled
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

flyingengi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by flyingengi » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:38 pm

Missed library of foul language under psychology :)
  • Rookie "Flyingmp" - RK1 - LVL220
  • Flyingengi - RK1 - LVL199
  • Freshman "Flyingblades" - RK1 - LVL150
  • Flyingadvy- RK1 - LVL128
  • Apprentice Imfat "Deathinabag" Yourdead - RK1 - LVL49
Facebook

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:13 am

Added. Also added one more graft and some more Misc items.

TigerDragon
Skilled
Skilled

Post by TigerDragon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:17 am

Treatment
Special Emergency Treatment Laboratory http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=204875

Made from eyemutant secondary hearts :twisted:

I like these at really low levels because making a batch bagged me a stack of 350 that heal a LOT for very little treatment.
Clan on RK2:
Redbeacon - beacon warp / tradeskill engineer (not able to cast beacon warp yet... working on it)
Redrosethorn - Piercing Doc (Level locked at 59 to help at totw)
Neutral on RK2:
Redmedivac - Fixer (will go clan after team fgrid quest is finished.) current main.
Redvestments - Pistol Trader

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:38 am

TigerDragon wrote:Treatment
Special Emergency Treatment Laboratory http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=204875

Made from eyemutant secondary hearts :twisted:

I like these at really low levels because making a batch bagged me a stack of 350 that heal a LOT for very little treatment.
I prefer to list generally useful items. As for that eyemutant treat lab, I would prefer any ordinary emergency treatment lab of the same QL to it, tbh... It's not woth farming those eyemutant hearts if you can make equally good ones with just monsterparts.

TigerDragon
Skilled
Skilled

Post by TigerDragon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:09 am

The eyemutant version locks for 25 seconds instead of 30. At lower levels, things are fast paced (for me anyway) so that faster recharge is useful. I know it's only a few seconds difference, but I also have a ton of eyemutant hearts from camping for orbs for my engineers :)
Clan on RK2:
Redbeacon - beacon warp / tradeskill engineer (not able to cast beacon warp yet... working on it)
Neutral on RK2:
Redmedivac - Fixer (will go clan after team fgrid quest is finished.) current main.

Saavick
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Saavick » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:40 am

A wen-wen locks 15s on Ranged Energy and adds 3 Ranged Energy skill on usage as well as a (really) small AOE attack :)
Saavick 200 doctor Lokuta 200 soldier Violentmeany 200 enforcer Angrymeany 200 engineer
Vladja 200 agent Meany 200 fixer Littlemeany 200 adventurer Skathi 200 soldier
Luettl 199 bureaucrat Nuclearmeany 190 nano-technician Ingundis 185 martial artist
Sunilda 182 meta-physicist Boesemueny 179 trader Haadriah 163 martial artist
Richilde 136 adventurer Mueny 136 meta-physicist Ryahna 131 adventurer
Whaaaaaa 122 bureaucrat Wildmeany 100 adventurer Svanhvita 100 engineer
Kvada 80 enforcer Vladdy 64 trader Achilla 60 soldier Angrymueny 60 fixer
Ealhswith 56 agent Enragedmeany 25 enforcer Yngvildr 15 soldier

TigerDragon
Skilled
Skilled

Post by TigerDragon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:50 am

*waits for another "not useful" reply*

I'm only teasing, but just because something doesn't seem useful to one person doesn't mean someone else doesn't have use for it.

To back up the wen-wen example (in case "not useful" really was coming) it can be useful inside CoH to try to aggro the Cenobites that drop blackbirds, howlets, crispies, and panthers. Grenades work, too (lock grenade skill of course) for a similar reason.
Clan on RK2:
Neutral on RK2:

Accomplice
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Accomplice » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:11 am

TigerDragon wrote:*waits for another "not useful" reply*

I'm only teasing, but just because something doesn't seem useful to one person doesn't mean someone else doesn't have use for it.

To back up the wen-wen example (in case "not useful" really was coming) it can be useful inside CoH to try to aggro the Cenobites that drop blackbirds, howlets, crispies, and panthers. Grenades work, too (lock grenade skill of course) for a similar reason.
yup yup, I once made a friend blitz me a QL25 one just to give up afterwards and raise percep ;P

edit: BTW, if the items database says "On activate Self Addskill <some skill> 3", it does not mean that you get 3 points added to that particular skill (that would be "On Use User Modify <some skill> 3"). Addskill means that that skill is going to be locked. It looks kinda redundant with the "On useUser lock <some skill>", but oh well... blame FC for this way of implementing :P

Apphire
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Apphire » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:49 pm

What a good idea, a useful little reference guide!

One apparent omission I noticed for MA skill was Flower of Life, one of my favourite specials which instantly heals you while simultaneously debuffing your target's Add All Defence and Run Speed. It locks MA for about 5 minutes unfortunately, but I can't tell you how often that little attack has saved me.

MrCoffee
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by MrCoffee » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:31 am

Forgot about the engy trimmers :D
Too lazy atm to look em up, but i know one locks ME for 5 minutes, and one dosent lock anything.
Icydoc - Lv 200 - RK1