Rhinoman Hunting: Where and How Big?

Post here to share information about places you've been, tips you have, or anything you feel would be worthwhile for others to know about.
hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Rhinoman Hunting: Where and How Big?

Post by hahnsoo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:00 am

I've spent the last day flying around participating in the Rhino Genocide. Since patch 17.4 has added these tasty pieces of armor, I paid a visit to all the locations where I knew Rhinos were hiding.

This is NOT a definitive guide. This is simply compiled from my personal experience and comments that I have received from friends. Any corrections, comments, and feedback will be appreciated.

The Armor
In general, Rhinoman Leather drops from Rhinomen (duh) in QLs about +/- 10 from the Rhinoman's level. It is about a 10-20% droprate, with a random piece dropping every 5-10 kills. The armor itself is Strength and Stamina based, and provides various bonuses, depending on the part, to melee skills. The most interesting feature is the lack of AC holes. While the armor tends to not be strong against any particular damage type, it is not weak to any damage type either. It also provides bonuses that up until patch 17.4 was not seen on armor in low QLs, save for AI armors and strange unique anomalies like the Steps of Madness gloves. And, of course, it is fr00b-friendly.

The Bonuses
(Note: Until the QL interpolation actually works, the QL shown is 300, which, as far as I know, does NOT exist)
* Rhinoman Leather Boots - Piercing, Riposte, Runspeed, and Multi-Melee bonus
* Rhinoman Leather Gloves - 2HB, 2HE, Dimach, Parry, Fast Attack
* Rhinoman Leather Jacket - 2HB, 2HE, Max Health
* Rhinoman Leather Pants - Brawl, Martial Arts, Max Health
* Rhinoman Leather Sleeves - 1HE, 1HB, Melee Energy, Multi-Melee
* Note: There is no helmet.

The QL Ranges
As stated above, the QL range tends to be about +/- 10 from the level of the Rhino that is killed. However, I've had as high as 102 drop from an 83 Rhino Mystic, so this isn't a hard and fast rule. The highest piece that I've had drop so far is QL 120, from a Rhino Warchief. Theoretically, Warchiefs can drop as high as 140.

I've not encountered any Rhinos higher than 120 yet. They could be in full Chaos missions. We'll have to see if anyone turns up any new Rhinos out there, and if they drop higher QL armor.

EDIT: An orgmate just had a 144 Sleeve drop from a Rhinoman mission in the City of Home. He stated that he got the mission with Full Chaos, with all the other sliders on the opposite side (Phys, Good, Money, etc.), pulling from Newland to the City of Home.

The Look

As you can see, it is rather stylish. Grey is the new black, I think :D
Last edited by hahnsoo on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Rhinoman Hunting Locations

Post by hahnsoo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:01 am

The Camps

These are the hunting locations that I know about. I'll add more as folks tell me their favorite spots.

Note: Maps were taken from CSP map, which can be found at http://www.creativestudent.com/ao/

Low Level Rhino Hunting

By far, your best hunting ground for low Rhinos is in Newland Desert. There are several camps as shown above, most of which are centered around dyna spawns. The Rhinos at the place where the Herbalist and Professor Jones (who never is there because he's always camped by timer-counting 220 money-grubbing players) tend to respawn slowly, while the Dyna camp Rhinos respawn about every 20 minutes or so.

Mid Level Rhino Hunting

There is one mid level camp in Greater Tir County to the west of ToTW, one mid level camp in Aegean in the South West corner (thanks Houseofsleep!), and many camps in Varmint Woods. The Dyna Camps tend to have Rhinos close in level to the Dyna, and respawn about every 20 minutes. The larger camps have a MUCH slower respawn rate, but you can find many more Rhinos there. Note that there is a single dyna camp that is level 100 that yields several level 80ish Rhinos. Also, the Central Rhino Village usually has a couple of 120 Rhinoman Warchiefs, who have the highest QL drops.

High Level Rhino Hunting

This camp respawns VERY slowly (I think it takes more than a couple of hours), but yields all level 80ish Rhinos and 1 or 2 Warchiefs. In addition, Stalkers are plentiful around the area, who may drop a Stalker Carapace, the essential component to make a Stalker Helmet. This area is actually close to the Southwest Corner of Varmint Woods, so you can make a quick stop in this hilly area and go back to camping Varmint Woods.

If you know of any other good Rhino hunting locations, please let me know.
Last edited by hahnsoo on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:01 am

Reserved for future rambling

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:45 am

mission settings favoring Rhino ?

does only chaos count ? or phys / myst too ?
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

Nixos
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Nixos » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:46 am

Amazing. Froob twinks rejoice!

Nicodar
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Nicodar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:02 pm

Okono wrote:Amazing. Froob twinks rejoice!
Not just froob twinks :-P It's nice, cheap buffing armor for about anyone :-P

It is the fate of all cookies to be broken. A whole cookie is an uneaten cookie and cookies are made to be eaten. So who can really deny fulfilling a cookie's destiny?

Nixos
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Nixos » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:39 am

Could look a lot worse, in my opinion. Definitely says "RK", which I like.

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:53 am

One of our Neutral friends has been able to pull some Rhinomen with mission sliders all the way to the Right down the line. Which is odd, since isn't that Chaos and Mystic? Anyway, further research is indicated...

If
Fresh
Fresh

Chaos = more animals or mutants

Post by If » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:33 pm

The Chaos settings to the far right have always brought up mutants, animals, cyborgs missions for me. The Mystic setting to the far right is strange as I would expect this to mean a nano "aware" mob and not the "smash & grab" beat down encounter you get with the general Rhino man.

Edit1: Oh, maybe there were Rhinomen Mystics somewhere in the mission as well? did not think of that... and also Thx for the guide, got some serious details. Only thing missing is what they eat and when they are taking a nap! Better then a Hollywood map of the stars..

Crabface
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Crabface » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:13 pm

I didn't really think about the settings there. I will try it with chaos + physical later.

I did mention that those settings yielded only one mission with rhinomen in it. The other missions were full of manteze, mechdogs, scuttlers, medusas, cyborgs, A-1000s, malles, crats (a mission with almost 100% crats), aquaans, and a couple of just regular mixed-profession human missions.

Incidentally, I was just in VW and got slaughtered by a level 124 rhino warchief add.

Houseofsleep
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Houseofsleep » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:18 am

Also South West corner of Aegean - level 75 Rhino dyna camp
That weapon will replace your tongue. You will learn to speak through it. And your poetry will now be written with blood.

Houseofsleep - Adventurer RK1
Blackcurtain - Fixer RK1
Houseofzen - MA RK1
Sleepcartel - Trader RK1
Houseofkanji - MA RK2

Nixos
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Nixos » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:49 am

Blitzed about 20 missions last night, all sliders set to the right. I only got 1 full of rhinomen. The research continues...

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:58 am

Houseofsleep wrote:Also South West corner of Aegean - level 75 Rhino dyna camp
Forgot about that one. Thanks! Added.

Carnichown
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Carnichown » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:56 am

nice
got a 143 sleeve from a warchief, they do drop higher then the mobs lvl! i camped a bit with my org mate and had a full set fast , the warchiefs spawns very slowly so u got to kill the ql 80 rhinos around and that way i got a full ql 80ish set with some ql 100+ part

and thanks for the spots Hahnsoo
Last edited by Carnichown on Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:08 am

anyone had some chance in mish / team mish ?

I didnt .. (well ... I found a Inner circle flamer ... but no rhino :) )
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...