Pet Froob 200

Post here to share information about places you've been, tips you have, or anything you feel would be worthwhile for others to know about.
darky
Amateur
Amateur

Pet Froob 200

Post by darky » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 pm

I am looking for taking one of my pet profession char from 100 to 200.
The choice is between MP, Eng and Crat.
Here is my current status
MP@100 - well setup, kind of good Imp and armor etc. I am able to cast top meatball & infuse with OSB. Need little boost for Odin' eye. Healer is Vivi.
will it add more value to level and cast higher healer. Current setup works nicely in Foreman. Able to kill director with just a little planning.

Crat@100 - have not spend any time so far tweaking. using medium pet (ql86 self / 109 osb) and charm

Eng@100 - able to cast beacon wrap. not ideally setup. ~100 pet

With above info I have lots of accumulated exp in MP (~50 million). Little in Crat (~5 million) and none in Eng.
My focus is versatile char with good potential to twink at 200 with low end being viable to generate some credits.
I am afraid that MP will max out much earlier and last 50 odd level will not add enough value.

Which will be better PvM char particulary to get important items for other char. I am looking for common things like Blackshirt, silken glove, shades of Lucu, Prof Jones vest etc.

Thanks for any feedback
- Darky
SolitusTrader(~149) Engi (100) MP(100) Doc(100) NT(100) Advy(100) Agent(100) Crat (100) Sold(100)
NM doc(25) engy(25) fixer(50) crat(25) mp(25) nt(41) agent(60); Opi GA1 fixer(25);
Atrox Enf - Lvl 1, Lvl 25, Lvl 60, lvl (60 Wish 100), Lvl (25 Wish 150+) -- One at all places :)
Atrox doc(50) MP(100) Eng(100) Crat(~160) advy1he (12) Neleb rod enfo(25) & trader (60)

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Pet Froob 200

Post by Briandmg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 am

First, allow me to dispel the notion that MPs max out their endgame potential at a very early level. The best froob pet from the Rusted Iron-bound Urns, which has more than twice the AR of Cacodemons, attacks twice as fast, can stun, and has insane NR, is usable only at L185. The best evocation (which is leaps and bounds better than 2nd best) is unlockable at L195. Metaing's Improved Mind Quake (40% more DPS than the normal Mind Quake) and the Shield of Asmodian (+50 more AAD) are self-castable by froobs only at L195ish-200. MPs are undoubtedly one of the most powerful profs for both PvM and PvP at L200.

That being said, if you intend to solo dynas/Unique RK mobs/etc., you may have a better chance using a crat. Check out Iostalin's videos on him soloing endgame mobs (http://aofroobs.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10063" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Charms and insane evades often do the trick in toppling high health, hard hitting bosses.

Whereas if you are into twinks or you rather build your own stuff in general, go for the Engineer. They can't quite solo mobs as well as the other 2 profs, but they certainly are useful if you want to "get important items for other char" :D
The Ultimate Endgame Froob PvP Guide :OO
All you ever needed to know to make your L200 froob toon a beast in PvP. :P

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:43 am

The fundamental thing to learn is that all pet owners must be prepared to get more "involved" towards end-game. The biggest mistake that I made (which I believe is the mistake that most pet class players make) is thinking that you can rely on your pet(s) throughout your career. Although pet classes are relatively easy to level and play up through the time you can cast your final pet (with or without OSB), the point at which your pet fails to tank and solo for you is the point you need to start adjusting your equipment and play style.

You will need to start wearing armor for protection and weapons for damage rather than for pet-casting nano-skill buffs. You will need to be able to manage aggro that you will inevitably start to steal from your pet(s). Regardless of which class you pay, that will be true for all three. The difference is what you prefer to busy yourself with.

MP's have a heal pet, but you will be busy switching Belamorte between yourself and your attack pet. Don't rely on pet healing alone. Pet healing will be too slow for most end-game encounters. Your mezz pet is passable for managing an add or two. It's calm is short, so in order to manage aggro from more than one mob, be prepare to constantly redirect your mezz pet. In my experience, MP pets hold aggro the least well, so I find myself kiting around a lot. Also I don't have the last evocation (dyna nano, I believe), which may explain all my aggro spill-over. The IS pet is nice, but you will not be able to farm your own urns. I haven't seen any drop on the first floor of IS, so I think it's a 2nd/3rd floor drop. The urn you get on the first floor is not the same. It summons a lower level pet (level lock at 135).

Engys will be busy healing their pets and have access to the Master Engineer Pistol which has stinky range, but does a heck of a lot of damage (and gets you a heck of a lot of aggro). I'm not totally sure about this, but it seems that the final froobable Slayerdroid has more HP than all other pet classes' final pets which means better tanking for you -- especially if you have all your aggro tools (trimmers, off/dmg buff, etc). In my experience, if you don't like to be too busy and prefer the lower level pet class play style, Engineers probably have the least they need to do while in battle. Just stim self, heal pet, kite around when you inevitably get too much aggro, and pop special attacks if you have any.

I can't speak too much about Crats. I left my crat at 100 for Foreman's, since I'm able to cast the last pet (OSB needed, of course), and with a couple of charm pets, I can easily/consistently kill the Director using the "lazy pet owner play-style" (read: stand two rooms away while pet's clean up). But, it seems to me, that at end-game Crats will require the most "involvement". In addition to pet heals and stimming self, you will need to keep an eye on your charms -- especially if your long-charm runs out during a long fight. You have more aggro management tools at your disposal, so you can be more focused in your fighting, but you need to keep your eye on everything -- who is calmed, who your pets are attacking, your pet's health, etc... The final froobable bodyguard pet seems to have the lowest HP of all the final pet classes (I think the cacodemon and IS skeleton might have comparable HP, but I think they hold aggro slightly better, but then again, you're a crowd control class).

I think for froobs, in end-game all three classes will do comparably well. It depends mainly on what you would enjoy doing. You will need to use your entire class tool-set and you must be prepared to contribute toward dealing damage.
Last edited by Llie on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darky
Amateur
Amateur

Post by darky » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks Braindmg and Llie for great replies.
Lots of food for thought here.
I did forgot IS pets for MP, I understand they surpass Demon pet. I was not sure but I am hoping they are better than meatball pet also. My play style is PvM only.
Also getting IS Urn will definitely need help from friendly folk. One side advantage of levelling MP will be mochies .
I will probably do a little more research to decide should I tune second char to do Foreman duty and and level MP up or leave well tuned MP at Foreman and push Crat or Eng up.
Between Crat and Engg, my other consideration are to put Eng in COH for beacon wrap and level Crat to 200.
Thanks again for great feedback.
-Darky
SolitusTrader(~149) Engi (100) MP(100) Doc(100) NT(100) Advy(100) Agent(100) Crat (100) Sold(100)
NM doc(25) engy(25) fixer(50) crat(25) mp(25) nt(41) agent(60); Opi GA1 fixer(25);
Atrox Enf - Lvl 1, Lvl 25, Lvl 60, lvl (60 Wish 100), Lvl (25 Wish 150+) -- One at all places :)
Atrox doc(50) MP(100) Eng(100) Crat(~160) advy1he (12) Neleb rod enfo(25) & trader (60)

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:24 am

darky wrote:One side advantage of levelling MP will be mochies.
FYI, You don't need a level 200 MP for Mocham's.

You should be able to cast all (with possible exception of PM Mocham's) before you hit level 120.

Also, my comments are all PvM advice. I have zero PvP experience.

darky
Amateur
Amateur

Post by darky » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks Llie,
I was just comparing to keeping MP at 100 vs at 200. Right now I am able to cast on infuse with wrangle so I will get Mocham if I level.
at present I am thinking maybe I will level Crat and later add a MP - atrox or Nanomage to 200.
I have one Atrox MP just levelled to 60. May be I will use it accrie little xp.
also kind of good news for those levelling new toons, Exp in RK - TOTW/Foreman/Mantis den is about to go up with 18.6.2.
This patch is in testlive right now.
Thanks
-Darky

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Briandmg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:27 am

My advice: Level the MP to 200, twink the crat to 100 for foremans, keep the engineer at 100 for foremans/CoH warping. MPs are seriously fun at L200 compared to the other 2 profs. Just a personal preference though. :P

If you do need IS urns, just /tell briandmg ingame. I have loads and loads to spare. :D

Lassssi
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Lassssi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:04 am

Agreeing with the last post. Sounds like the optimal setup.
Zadamm TL7/fix, Vanishez TL7/sha, Dignord TL7/nt, Digsengi TL7/eng, Digsagent 200/age, Digsdoccie TL5/doc, Digsoldier TL5/sol, Trymeout 200/enf, Partofitall 200/mp, Lariam 200/tra, Fexwolf TL5/adv, GetStuff TL5/fix, Digsnt TL4/nt, Willinger TL4/cra, + 15+ sub tl4

darky
Amateur
Amateur

Post by darky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:20 pm

One breed related question.
If this will matter that my current MP is solitus? I understand that Atrox is better for end game point of view with highest HP although Nanomage will have most in terms of trickle down.
Thanks
-Darky

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Briandmg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 am

Hehe in my opinion, opifex is the best, especially if you want to solo. The extra points in evades and the ability to equip a 5/5 Reanimated Jester's Cloak gives them that extra edge to dodge hard hitting attacks (which matters moar than a few moar hundred hitpoints). Also, all nanos are pretty much castable by atrox/opifexes given a proper setup. Nanomage MPs are, in my opinion, the weakest choice for a L200 MP. The extra points in the nanoskills don't matter that much when you hardly need them.

While solitus may not be the best, they definitely aren't the worst. You can still equip a 5/5 illusionist cloak which is pretty good (especially for burst damaging and for shielding). You can also modify your setup to almost anything to suit your playstyle. Evades, health, nanoskills or melee attacks; all builds will work fine.

In particular, I could see a well-equipped melee solitus MP doing very well against dynas. A 105 panther/howlet, an IS skull with a shield, or an argument setup will dish out alot of sustained DPS. In short, no need to reroll. Just think through your setup first and do a bit of number crunching before you confirm your decision. You will want to use a skill emulator to ensure that you can cast Metaing's Improved Mind Quake and the L195 Evocation while maintaining your weapon at 100%. :D

darky
Amateur
Amateur

Post by darky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:53 am

Great input, thanks. I guess some skill emulator trail it will be. :)
Thanks

Matammyr
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Matammyr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm under the impression that MP is one of those professions where all breeds are viable.

Briandmg
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Briandmg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Matammyr wrote:I'm under the impression that MP is one of those professions where all breeds are viable.
They are! I was just talking about the 4 breeds relative to each other. Opifex > Atrox/Solitus > Nanomage for L200 MP IMO.

mortem
Flagged
Flagged

Post by mortem » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:42 am

I have brought my trox MP to 200, so I can speak from a little experience with it. I went 1hb because I liked the variability of using either two weapons or a weapon and a shield, depending on the situation. Being melee, the extra HP helps some, but its benefit over evades is debatable. End-game, I should end up with just over 10k self. Even as a trox, I can cast EVERY MP nano self without gimping myself. In fact, I plan to be able to do so with a Dchest and without VTE's on. The biggest issue I've run into so far is that I run out of nano easily. Being trox, I don't have loads of nano and hardly any nano regen, so long fights can be taxing to keep casting through. This has been an issue in the raids I've taken it to, but even with this, I've still scored high on the damage ranks. Without the use of weapons, I scored higher than I ever had with my fixer, and as such, I am very pleased with how my MP is turning out. Also of note, as a trox, I can only barely cast my top nano's, between 2-10 skills over the requirement for some, so debuffs of any kind can really hurt. This is not so much of an issue for other breeds. MP's top single nuke, AFAIK, is better than any other prof, even NT. Its fast, great damage and has a 100 nanoskill debuff

Regardless of what pet class you choose, in raid situations, NM might be a strong choice due to the extra nano for your awesome nuke(mp/crat). Gear for a NM should probably be nanoskill oriented, its what nanomages are for. Better at landing nukes/debuffs, but likely the weakest of the breeds for soloing, as has been stated before. IMO, unless you NEED the extra nanoskills to cast your stuff, or you need all the nano regen you can get, I would avoid NM for a pvm pet class end-game. Your weapon skills and your HP will suffer because of it and you will end up with a little lower evades than the others too. For a 100 twink, it can be great, but the benefit isn't as clear once you pass 150 or so.

Choosing between trox and opi will likely be dependent on weather you feel evades or hp is more important. Personally I favor opi for most alts for the higher treatment, base stats and imps, though the bonus is slight. In most solo PVM gameplay, I would usually favor OPI/evades. If your playing team PVM with a healer, more HP might be better if your taking hits, as more HP makes the healers job easier. In raid situations things can be a little different, but in general, it seems that focusing on HP and damage are the most effective. Also of note, If your going with pistol, Opi gets about 20 or so more points from trickle, 1/2hb is about the same between the two.

I've never played a soli, so I can't speak from experience, but it seems that it might be a viable choice if your looking for someone that can do a little of everything and be alright with it. If your going the evade route, I would avoid soli, as opi has some breed locked items that are a bit fun, like flaxen notum pants, but it still might be a strong choice.

Edit: A few extra things of note:
I found the end-game MP nano's to be very cheap, most/all less than 10m each. If your tight on funds, this is something to consider.
The top MP IS pet is wonderful. Great damage, very nice AR and NR and good aggro. It can be a pain to get, but do note that each urn gives you 10 pets, not one. It does have a down side through. Its squishy. Its likely the weakest in this respect of all of the end-game pets.
Engi has, by far, the strongest pet due to its massive HP and trimmers.
If a crat can score a great mind-control, it can likely OD a MP, but great mind-controls aren't always available.
Both engi's and crats have offensive and defensive auras, making them very useful in team/raid situations, though the crat's is probably a little better.
Crat calms make it one of the more desired profs in team situations. It has the best crowd control of any prof.
Crats seem to need a little more micro-management than the other profs, as calms usually fall upon them to cast and they will need to keep track of the timer on mind-controls.

tl;dr, I recommend either an MP or Crat. Crat is a strong defensive prof and opi would compliment that well. Mp is more well rounded and in most situations, and I think can deliver better damage, but at the cost of a little survivability. I think Opi or Trox would suit it best.
Gnome 200 Fix | Corpus 200 1hb MP | Veikr TL5 Pistol NT | Mortem 200 Agent | Ziekte TL6 Trader | R# TL6 Piercing Enf | Knot 200 TS Engi
General of The Soul Society - Member of Ab Aeterno Animus Liberi - Member of Froob200 since Oct '11

Llie
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Llie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:49 pm

All the above is true, but...
mortem wrote:MP's top single nuke, AFAIK, is better than any other prof, even NT. Its fast, great damage and has a 100 nanoskill debuff
I believe that Crat's Rule of One will OD Metaing's Improved Mind Quake in terms of overall damage per second against high AC targets (eg. when you're fighting a froob-end game raid boss). However, the 150 (not 100) nano skill debuff that comes with that nuke is certainly nothing to snub.

(And in defense of NT's. No, Resonance Blast will easily OD both Rule of One and Metaing's Improved Mind Quake. And actually Partial Gridspace Inversion will OD even most LE triples, but only for nuking fixers wearing GA...).

Nukes are good on Crats and MPs, but they're just one tool in the tool belt.