Company of Heroes

Speak your mind. But keep it clean. NON-Anarchy Online related posts only please.
Pualee
Flagged
Flagged

Company of Heroes

Post by Pualee » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:28 am

Since folks here seem interested in other free games... this is in beta. They are taking Company of Heros, which was a fantastic RTS and making it FREE. That is good enough by me, but the are adding some MMO style elements of leveling up.

Overall, not as good as the original game, but its FREE :lol: It feels simpler since you are locked into a doctrine at the start instead of dynamically selecting by map and opponent's playstyle (less tactics/knowledge/reaction - more character/commander development). You are forced into a playstyle from the get go :( Also, missing the expansion armies and some of the tactics have been simplified due to special abilities (lesser need for flanking and tactical positions). New players will never see what I mean, older players may depending on their proficiency before. The graphics engine is also not allowing the lessened graphics options yet, making it harder to run (still relatively low requirements).

I'm hoping it returns to the feel of the original COH soon. You can see some seriously epic shoutcasts VODS of the original on Youtube and get an idea of the game. Still good fun. The paying aspect only lets you advance quicker, not give any end level advantage over the free players.

Since I never played the expansions, I really hope the Brits are added to COHO soon!

http://www.companyofheroes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Playing on RK4... if you see me say HI

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Re: Company of Heroes

Post by Tarradax » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:06 pm

I've had a chance to play this before it was an open beta, fun game. I still prefer the RTS though - If you want to buy it cheap, there's the THQ Pack on Steam that has all 3 games and lots of other cool stuff for a fairly low price.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Wed May 25, 2011 4:21 am

For anyone who missed it, CoH Online closed down (Assuming anyone was still playing it). It did result in an absolutely huge patch for "Regular" CoH so there's that.

PCGamer Article
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Randomchance
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Randomchance » Wed May 25, 2011 4:54 am

I was just reading the patchnotes after I noticed steam downloaded the whole game today at work. Hope multiplayer is still as fun as it was a couple of nights ago when me and some friends had a bit of a sesh.

:wink:
Metalomania - recovered from the ether december 2010!
Gablerg & Killermuppet - recovered from the ether january 2011!
(seriously guys, keep track of those toons!)
Froob Configurations