Minecraft

Speak your mind. But keep it clean. NON-Anarchy Online related posts only please.
Jondera1
Hardened
Hardened

Re: Minecraft

Post by Jondera1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:54 am

The main two things to note are that you have to keep the lava up (that's what the ladder pieces are for - the guy talks about that in the sequel to the video you linked). The other thing you have to do is put a layer of something (glass is the favored material) directly above the lava, to prevent the monsters from jumping up and landing on the lava, thereby dropping their loot into the lava, rather than into the water.
RK2:
Jondera Greylock, 213/15 Opifex Fixer (Shattered Dreams), Newland City Minister of Security
Damold Garimen, 150/12 Solitus Melee Advy (Lumen Orien)
Emala, 63/5 Solitus Doctor (Shattered Dreams)
Yarika, 58/2 Nanomage Nanotechnician (Lumen Orien)
Delima, 51/5 Opifex Fixer (Lumen Orien), former TL2 BS twink, future ToTW twink
And others

Orgs of choice: Shattered Dreams & Lumen Orien

Crabface
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Crabface » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:29 am

Jondera1 wrote:The other thing you have to do is put a layer of something (glass is the favored material) directly above the lava
Thank you, I cannot believe I over-looked that. It's even shown in the first video.

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:31 pm

I forgot aofroobers have been talking about minecraft too :). Posted this on official forums already, but it definitely belongs here too.

I think I've made quite some cool stuff now and it should be worth checking out (or so I hope; maybe it's just me wanting some attention... :p). Since I've been playing singleplayer, there is no server you can visit, but you can easily download my world over here (a notepad with instructions on where to place the saved game is included).

I have 2 bases: a medieval castle and a modern glass building and they are connected with a minecart system. Both bases have a minecart station in the same theme (the stations are so big that at the side of the castle, the station actually got bigger then the castle...).

Minecart stations

Why do I like my stations:

- You just have to step into a non-moving minecart to get launched. (No buttons to press, no minecart to start up manually, no careful aiming and clicking on a minecart that's passing by, ...)
- You end with a complete permanent stop, no need to hurry.
- When you arrive the minecart present in the station is launched at the other minecart station: this makes sure there is always a cart ready in both stations. (so it's also there if you go to the other station by walking or dying).
(- While the minecart waiting on the main track is either boosted by an arriving minecart or by the station's internal booster system it only has tracks on one side. I'm pretty proud that I managed to puzzle the tracks and redstone so that both an arriving cart and the internal booster system use the same track :D.)

Instructions:
- just climb ladder, enter cart and wait
- do not miss the pressure plate(s) at the bottom of the ladder.

Flaws:
- Sometimes they bug out. I think 1 bug can be fixed by making 'the hole where the internal booster comes from' a bit less narrow in the modern station, but I like it this way.
- Lots of zigzags and long duration when arriving. While typing this I thought of a much simpler system that provides pretty much the same functionality without the zigzags: you could signal that a cart with player is approaching the station and make this result in the idle minecart to be launched by the internal booster (launch on parallel track to avoid collisions). I'm too lazy to implement this, it's going to be harder then it sounds and I like this system because I puzzled hard.

Security system

While the castle simply has a system with pressure plates to open the double doors (was difficult enough when I was redstone noob), the modern glass building has a lock with a 4 digit code (using the numbers 1-9) that can be turned on and off from the inside.
Getting inside by breaking 2 blocks or a door is easy of course. I have a few challenges for you to get inside in other ways:

- Guess the 4-digit code. Unless I made some serious 'programming' errors this is going to be quite hard (or boring rather). Give it a try though. It's not impossible and if you use your brains it shouldn't be so boring either. The solution can be found in the cellar of the castle (the first floor you meet, not lower).

- Get in without guessing the code and without breaking any blocks. There is a way in, but it involves quite a maze (I don't even know my way in there myself).

- There is a third way to get in without breaking blocks. I can't say anything more about it because that would make it too easy.

-Get in by breaking only 1 block. There is 2 entirely different solutions here.

I hope at least a few people try it out and have some fun with it. Keep me updated with comments and the accomplishments of the challenges. Questions welcome too.
I like challenges with redstone, so if you have any problems or ideas I might give them a go. Gigantic projects/ stuff that has been done (e.g. 16-bit computer, clock) will get a 'no' though.

Have fun!
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Zip file
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Zip file » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:06 pm

I has a world too...
  • I have an underwater base
  • a portal hub (a base in the nether than links all my bases)
  • several non repeating waterfall elevators (Repeating just makes it 1m x more likely to break the boat)
  • infinite cobblestone generator (With obsidian background so you never go through the wall)
  • Lava pit to chuck stuff in
  • large fortress
  • minecart system (2 stations, very fscking complex, more complicated than anything I could find on youtube, minecart hoppers, hopper overflow detection system which doesn't flicker when stuff goes into the hopper runaway cart detection waits for you to get out yada yada yada)
  • the fort has "Quadruple doors" which (By using the north/south redstone bug) all open/shut at the exact same time... Using xor gate to open/close from outside and inside.
  • Greenhouse (Boring)
  • underwater docks (Waterfall falls into dock, another one leads out of dock)
I'd show you a video of the redstone system but you wouldn't believe me... Here, heres a copy of my world (You will note I stuck you at the very bottom of a very complicated redstone system just to show off)

So I used invedit, big whoop, you have to admit that's one freakin complicated minecart station...

Edit: Aww, I wanted to see edta's file :/

Edit2: Pics for those of you too lazy to download the file yourselves :)

Quadruple doors

Cart storage

Fancy cobblestone generator

Nighttime view

"The garden of light and sound"

Going into underwater docks

In the docks

Out of the docks

Water elevator

Some of my underwater buildings (Main hub, train station, underwater docks etc)

Looking up from the underwater trainstation

Where I throw diamonds iron and other junk I find around the place :)

Part of the netherhub

Only one piece of track to switch for outgoing and both incomming come in correctly... bliss...

About 2% of my redstone minecart and redstone torch abuse

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:42 pm

I guess the file is gone because it's a while ago and nobody downloaded it ;). Here it is again.

Checking out your world now ;).
RK2

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Ok Zip, done with your world :). Lots of redstone indeed, but if you get into the wire rooms of my world, you can see I'm used a bit and you pretty much need a 16-bit computer to still impress me :D.
It's a nice system, but not perfect yet :). My biggest issue was that getting out usually pushes the cart, resulting in the 'booster that should take away the cart' not working properly.
I'll post more later, g2g now!
RK2

Zip file
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Zip file » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:22 am

Getting out pushes the cart? Really? Which station? In or out track?

Oh btw, I have a very complicated circuit that only doesn't work because I can't find a design for an on/off relay that reacts instantly.

Say I want a platform that will only light up a light after someone's been stepping on it for ... seconds, I could delay the redstone then send it back and use an and gate. But then if someone jumps up and down on the switch you get a flashing light.

My solution is to attach an and gate to the platforms output and an on-off relay to an RS nor latch, this way when you get off, it blocks the signal from getting through to the simpler above mentioned signal. This also triggers a secondary repeater cycle that resets the RS nor latch only after the amount of time in the first one has passed. The problem is that the on/off relay, if you time your jumps right, can be made to not respond. So a flashing signal still gets through and if you do it long enough the light flashes argh!

Don't suppose you know any more efficient on/off relays? (Or an entirely different way to go about it)

Heres a test world, I'm standing on the pressure plate that starts the whole thing.

A few questions edta:
I like the trap, but why not use rs nor latches so you can set a new code from inside?
Why didn't you use the north/south to make your doors react at the same time? :D
How the hell do your minecarts maintain so much momentum? Mine just drop like rocks without near constant boosting...
The minecart at your spawn base didn't work after I fell in the "OTT" trap :P

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:22 am

First finishing what I wanted to say:
- Your main booster is somewhat instable: as it often rolled back down after being obstructed by the empty cart (which was usually not straight on the tracks because of me pushing it when I got out), it came to stand still in the flat part of the booster. If you take a look at my boosters you can see that they are either boosting each other or on a slope. I think that makes them more stable: if both carts are in, they usually will be moving.
- The amount of boosters you need to boost your booster amazes me :P.
- A pressure-plate instead of a button to call a cart would make things more practical. Even better would be if the cart is just always there and only is boosted when somebody jumps in. As it is know it gets take away even if you don't jump in... what is the stone pressure plate doing there then?...

Zip file wrote:Getting out pushes the cart? Really? Which station? In or out track?
Both stations, and since it's with getting out of the cart: out track :P. I tried walking out, but then I can't get away since the concrete block comes too high. Jumping forward somehow pushes the cart backwards. I had this happening in my own stations as well, but much less often. And since it not a downward slope, it's easier to destroy the cart and put the cart back on imo.
Zip file wrote:Oh btw, I have a very complicated circuit that only doesn't work because I can't find a design for an on/off relay that reacts instantly.

Say I want a platform that will only light up a light after someone's been stepping on it for ... seconds, I could delay the redstone then send it back and use an and gate. But then if someone jumps up and down on the switch you get a flashing light.

My solution is to attach an and gate to the platforms output and an on-off relay to an RS nor latch, this way when you get off, it blocks the signal from getting through to the simpler above mentioned signal. This also triggers a secondary repeater cycle that resets the RS nor latch only after the amount of time in the first one has passed. The problem is that the on/off relay, if you time your jumps right, can be made to not respond. So a flashing signal still gets through and if you do it long enough the light flashes argh!

Don't suppose you know any more efficient on/off relays? (Or an entirely different way to go about it)

Heres a test world, I'm standing on the pressure plate that starts the whole thing.
I can't check out the file right away, so don't exactly understand what you want. What is exactly the application you want? You want a light to go if somebody stands on a plate for 10 sec? And this also should happen if the person is jumping? And why is the light not allowed to flash? I guess if the person goes for a tiny walk and is back within 10 sec, it still is allowed to work, but if he stays away 15 sec it is not, right? (numbers are just examples of course). Can't you put a memory cell right before the light? Or does it slows it down too much?
Zip file wrote:A few questions edta:
I like the trap, but why not use rs nor latches so you can set a new code from inside?
Why didn't you use the north/south to make your doors react at the same time?
How the hell do your minecarts maintain so much momentum? Mine just drop like rocks without near constant boosting...
The minecart at your spawn base didn't work after I fell in the "OTT" trap :P
- Currently all the nummer-buttons that are not part of the code are wired together (they activate the trap and reset any code that might be typed in correctly). Getting all buttons wired, might be possible, but it probably is quite a nightmare :P. You also have to realize it's not just 4 numbers being active: they also need to be pressed in the right order. I'm not saying it's impossible to make one where you can change the code, but it should be damn hard.
- I don't know the N/S rule for rs and if there is a delay between the 2 doors, I din't notice it; so it doesn't bother me.
- There is 2 things that ought to increase momentum if I compare our stations: a) Booster comes from above and takes the lower to-be-boosted cart b) longer distance of boosting I believe.
- If you hopped into the cart, but it didn't do anything, this probably was because you didn't step on the pressure-plate at the bottom (the one that opens the doors of the castle as well). The pressure plate gives a signal to switch from arrival to departure mode. I guess I should have put plates so that you can't miss them when you come from the side-doors... If something else was amiss, I guess you just got bad luck; things do bug out sometimes :).

Ooh, I suggest I upload your world again so you can use it to overwrite your current world! I'm sure you'll enjoy all the wooden buildings (and top of your tower being burned down) + part of your redstone circuits being flooded with water! *looks innocent*
The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Your message contains too many smilies. The maximum number of smilies allowed is 5.
Silly rule *sad smiley*.
Last edited by EDTA on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RK2

Zip file
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Zip file » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:41 am

I've never had a cart move when I got out. Usually it's just a case of rightclick the cart and step onto the platform (Like a half-block) There is a slight problem with the incomming fort platform that if you don't put the view to far there isn't enough lag to get the cart into the hopper track (I know, hackish, will make workaround)
The amount of boosters you need to boost your booster amazes me
Yes I was working with very little space, it was my first attempt at either minecarts or redstone, and I wanted the mechanics to be as hidden as possible from the average user so I underestimated my spacial requirements...
A pressure-plate instead of a button to call a cart would make things more practical. Even better would be if the cart is just always there and only is boosted when somebody jumps in. As it is know it gets take away even if you don't jump in... what is the stone pressure plate doing there then?...
Your system has it's merits on a bi-station basis but I was going to make this a tri or quadruple station affair so I didn't want to block intermidiary stations with minecarts. The stone pressure plate on the outgoing tracks is runaway cart detection (Sends back to the hopper) the one on the incomming makes sure it doesn't boost it until you get out.
Currently all the nummer-buttons that are not part of the code are wired together (they activate the trap and reset any code that might be typed in correctly). Getting all buttons wired, might be possible, but it probably is quite a nightmare :P. You also have to realize it's not just 4 numbers being active: they also need to be pressed in the right order. I'm not saying it's impossible to make one where you can change the code, but it should be damn hard.
There is a simple mechanism IIRC: Lots of RS nor latches. Or just one. Anyway, end result is that entering the correct number will trigger an RS nor latch to switch output to a different and gate for all of them, then all you have to do is attach higher-level RS nor latches to the top level ones so that only the correct digits work. Of course you could also just make a binary combo-lock, then all you need are xor gates.
I don't know the N/S rule for rs and if there is a delay between the 2 doors, I din't notice it; so it doesn't bother me.
It's only a 1 tick delay but it's so annoying!

If you make a repeater with the torches backing onto eachother facing north/south it will only take 1 tick (So you can use this to balance out the inverter) minepedia has more on that...
If you hopped into the cart, but it didn't do anything, this probably was because you didn't step on the pressure-plate at the bottom (the one that opens the doors of the castle as well). The pressure plate gives a signal to switch from arrival to departure mode. I guess I should have put plates so that you can't miss them when you come from the side-doors... If something else was amiss, I guess you just got bad luck
If, instead of having pressure plates at the bottom, you use an on/off relay, then as soon as you get out, it goes into "Departure mode" and works as expected, and less excess pressure plates :)
Ooh, I suggest I upload your world again so you can use it to overwrite your current world! I'm sure you'll enjoy all the wooden buildings (and top of your tower being burned down) + part of your redstone circuits being flooded with water! *looks innocent*
That was one of the more serious spacial constraints I had to work with :) Your world isn't doing too good either, half your keypad is burning in a pit of lava, the door on your treasury has been ripped off (By my bare hands!) and I'm pretty sure I lost all your equipment in the cactus deathtrap :)

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:02 am

Btw, something I recently found for on/off relay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn30WPO_CNQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At least, I think that's what you mean by on/off relay...

Edit: Also, since you have both departure and arrival tracks, I don't think a cart standing on your departure tracks should block carts that want to pass through...
RK2

Zip file
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Zip file » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:23 am

No but that wasn't the original plan, I only did that on the fort because there wasn't enough space and in the ubase cause it would be an end station. There was an attempt at a bi-directional station underneath my mountaintop base but it failed miserably...

And no, what that video shows is a toggle flipflop, an on off relay goes like this:

Code: Select all

pressure plate
|
|
+--[]---- Output
|   |
[][]-
This way when you get off the pressure plate the output flickers for a second (And you can catch it with an RS nor latch)

Problem is if you can get off and on again before the single repeater is through the output doesn't flicker (Or at least not long enough for a latch to catch)

I even tried using the north/south to tweak the flicker time but nope...

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:10 am

Oh, I call that pulse-technology :P. I didn't invent it yet when I made these stations ;).
RK2

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Ok, checked out your file. I don't think I exactly understand what you want. That or you did it quite wrong. I understand that you want a light that goes on after a few sec of standing on a pressure plate and stays on, even if you jump...?
The way you posted it the light would go off as soon as the pressure-plate doesn't get a signal, so of course you get flashing when you jump (no signal to 1 side of first AND-gate --> AND-gate goes out --> no signal to 1 side of other AND-gate --> light goes out = flashes when jumping). I made quite some changes and it fixes your problem, but comes with new flaws.
How it happens now:
- Stepping on activates memory cell, memory cell activates 1 part of final AND-gate instantly and sends out the delayed signal to the other one.
- Stepping off or jumping sends a pulse which gets delayed slightly (I first used your delay, but this was too long, so I made it shorter, then I noticed some flaws and made it as short as possible - I now noticed you can even make it shorter by making the pressure-plate being part of an AND-port directly).
- An AND-port gathering the slightly delayed pulse and a direct signal from the pressure-plate resets the memory cell.

Pros:
Goes on after about 5 sec of standing or jumping on the pressure-plate
Jumping normally doesn't do anything, though in some situations I did had a single flash, but they are rare.

Cons
If you stand 3 sec on the plate and then step off, the light will flash on shortly about 2 sec after stepping off.
Depending on the delay of the pulse it might take a bit before the light goes out. Since we can make this delay nearly as short as a jump it's not really a problem: the delay of the jump is unavoidable.

http://rapidshare.com/files/443650369/Z ... edited.rar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you tell me what exactly it is for, I might be able to help better :D.
RK2

Zip file
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Zip file » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:16 am

No, I want the light to go on when you've been standing on the pressure plate for a delay, but NOT flash if you jump up and down. Because of the on/off relay's timing error, this would mean I'd need to have several different timers and rs nor latches and use seperate timers every time I step on the platform but that seems too complicated.

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:34 am

Extra delays+memory cell seems the only option; I think it's what you have in mind. A shorter delay activates memory cell. AND port at the end combines this memory cell and the long delay. Should only be minor difference in the 2 delays. Not standing on the plate constantly resets this memory cell. I believe the short delay should be pulsed. I'd have to try it out to see how that works.
RK2