Minecraft

Speak your mind. But keep it clean. NON-Anarchy Online related posts only please.
Sferykal
ModSquad
ModSquad

Minecraft

Post by Sferykal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:16 am

Has anyone of you played Minecraft already? There are some cool videos on Youtube covering this game as well (for example have a look at the Minecraft videos from "X", they give a nice start into the game).

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Re: Minecraft

Post by EDTA » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:00 am

I tried it, but it seems the downloadable version requires paying while the free classic version can only be played in browser: I kind of played it, but it constantly put my cpu on 100% meaning that the game was unplayable :P
RK2
Main: Edta 200 NT,*Setup*, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus
Mounky 158 agent / doodytrad 163 trader
Wanh 1 trader / Kaiter 60 NT / E Lektra Natchios 24 agent / Mewaku 30ish enfo
Froob For Life, Neutral For Life, AO For Ever

Blutblume
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Blutblume » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 am

I played the classic mode for a while. It's quite fun in the beginning but gets really boring after some time because you can't do anything but build stuff :P
There are some really cool minecraft videos on youtube showing the Reichstag or some working binary calculator tho :glasses8:
Blutblume - 200 NT
Annietime - 199 Assault Rifle Doc

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:34 am

Seems when using firefox it did work (I used Chrome the other time). I have to agree with bb's comment below though :P.
Blutblume wrote:I played the classic mode for a while. It's quite fun in the beginning but gets really boring after some time because you can't do anything but build stuff :P
There are some really cool minecraft videos on youtube showing the Reichstag or some working binary calculator tho :glasses8:
RK2

jato
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jato » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:50 am

purchased it recently, and DAMN it's addictive, kind of like a Gmod meets dwarf fortress game. Well worth the £8 it cost so far (and some of the planned updates sound awesome).

and you can play the alpha (paid/proper) version in a browser just fine. Not too sure on the requirements, but if turned down to minimum its playable on the pretty crap computers here in the college library (not sure on the specs, but they're a single core)

I have a big area of snow on one of my maps, so may attempt to make some sort of fortress of solitude. (already have a batcave :P)
Kiytan
Damrukh - Red Dead Subway Twink
Warpette - Warps on the move.

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:52 am

I visited a classic server yesterday and saw some very nice constructions over there. This motivated me to spend some time in the Classic singleplayer version yesterday, building stuff :D. Made me a little ship.

Cargo hold:

Afterdeck:

Inside afterdeck:

Not that amazing to post pictures I guess, but since I can't save I felt like taking screenies and doing something with them :P. Afterwards I went on building a tower with a walkable (ie, don't need to jump) stairs and some kind of fire on the top. No screenies anymore though.
RK2

idef
Flagged
Flagged

Post by idef » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:57 pm

This game has slowed my leveling in AO majorly. I just do my dailies and then go "just finish that one wall quick" and end up building an underwater glass house that has trees in it.

Paid version is so much more fun than free, as you have to gather the resources and craft your tools before you can build anything. Makes you feel like you've accomplished something. Then the night comes and you have to hide from zombies, spiders, archer skeletons and creepers that explode on contant. And you can go exploring caves or just dig down for minerals to build better tools, but you have to be careful as caves have monsters too, or you can dig from wrong place and fall into a pool of lava. Sounds are atmospheric, zombie suddently growling near makes you panic and run in random directions, because if you die you'll drop all your precious inventory all over the floor and it might be hard to get them all back if you were too far or deep.
Don't ask me, I just lurk here... and post mostly webdev stuff. What was this forum about again?
Idef 174 fixer / Badhorse 200 crat with the hat / Aidef 220/30/70 fixer (this one might be paid)

Sferykal
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Sferykal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:47 pm

After watching a few videos on Youtube I bought this game. Yes, it's highly addictive. I infected a few people around me as well and we ended up playing a local multiplayer session. Multiplayer still lacks a proper survival mode feeling of the single player; anyway, me being me I got lost in the big cave system the others opened up in their digging session. I also managed to get totally lost in my single player world multiple times 8) Never start a journey without a compass! :D And yes, the game can be outright creepy at times. If you stand somewhere in a cave and hear the growling of zombies, hissing of the spiders or clacking of the skellies ahead in the dark or somewhere nearby behind a wall ... I can't resist and have to find out where it comes from :D

DocJones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DocJones » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:13 pm

Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking...
Proud Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
Toons:
Zzzzzzwap (inofficial main), Krisplin (main, but buff whore)
Theophrastus (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
Rosling
Tarradax wrote:Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Yes. You so totally win. ...
vs.
Tarradax wrote: Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: It's all your fault.
Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Totally your fault.
~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

EDTA
Moderaidtor

Post by EDTA » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 am

On a freebuild server (Deltablu minecraft server for fun or something):

Onderground-lava-heated-swimming-pool:
(didn't visit it in a few days, so not sure it's still there. You could visit this if you want, but you'll probably need me as guide to find it.

Something that's supposed to be a sunbathing babe:
(see the mess? That's what freebuild means if not carefully watched. The 'babe' has mostly been destroyed by now.)

On a server where I have access to levels without griefers. Sadly that also means you can't visit these unless you get permission from the Operator:

Sauron:

Triple falls:
RK2

Crabface
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Crabface » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:27 pm

idef wrote:This game has slowed my leveling in AO majorly. I just do my dailies and then go "just finish that one wall quick" and end up building an underwater glass house that has trees in it.
I'm partial to underwater building also, but I found it mothering hard to get trees to grow in underwater structures. And I couldn't get animals to spawn at all, even if I could get grass to grow there.

Here's most of the base I'm working on now. The vast majority of the world is water, so it's perfect for that. On the left is a farm that never gets trampled by pigs.

If iron allows, I'll probably have tracks and cart booster stations all over.

Past the fog on the left is a tower that is trying to accomplish the insanity seen in this video.

Jondera1
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Jondera1 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:28 pm

I just got a copy myself...

I'll see about getting some pics up soon. I started my underground farm fairly early on, but careful playing has meant that I don't need to heal often, so I'm slowly but surely filling up a large chest with bread... :P

EDIT: At the moment, I've just got a fairly traditional fortress... I'm curious how you guys do the underwater construction. It looks really cool, but I'm having troubles figuring out how you would do it without flooding your tunnel system. About the best I can figure out is you'd lay down dirt surrounded by glass from outside while swimming, then just dig out the dirt... But that seems like it would take WAY to long for practical use.
RK2:
Jondera Greylock, 213/15 Opifex Fixer (Shattered Dreams), Newland City Minister of Security
Damold Garimen, 150/12 Solitus Melee Advy (Lumen Orien)
Emala, 63/5 Solitus Doctor (Shattered Dreams)
Yarika, 58/2 Nanomage Nanotechnician (Lumen Orien)
Delima, 51/5 Opifex Fixer (Lumen Orien), former TL2 BS twink, future ToTW twink
And others

Orgs of choice: Shattered Dreams & Lumen Orien

Crabface
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Crabface » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Yeah that's pretty much it, and it is time-consuming.

Jondera1
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Jondera1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:05 am

OK, Pics, as promised.

My fortress/house:

That's the best view I could get from outside... some of the mountains and hills are inconveniently located. The stuff on the right and left sides of the upper section are currently unfinished... I started them, but stopped in favor of some other projects. Careful observation of the foreground in this pic reveals that there's a bunch of sand missing from the sandy areas around the house, which has a lot to do with presence of those large windows in various places.

Interior detail views:

Front door/crafting area/door to mine:

Indoor garden & fireplace:

You'll note that the garden is completely unharvested... after I filled an entire large chest with bread, I stopped harvesting. Eventually I'll make a dent in my bread stockpile and make some more.

Detail view through one of my front windows (standing on top of my workbench), looking at the front flower garden:

View from the top of the observatory tower, including the torchlit central piller for nighttime navigation:

And finally, the mine shaft:

Behind me and to my left, in this pic, is the door into the main part of the house. The shaft goes all the way down to bedrock, some 65-70 blocks down. I used a spiral staircase (with stair blocks) because it makes for faster and easier ascent and descent, though still safer than ladders.

And, for the final three pics... After seeing that video link in Crabface's post, I decided I had to try something like that myself. I just built my monster grinder in the nearest handy area, and it's entirely underground, since I already had a shaft down to bedrock before I started, but here's the basics:

I started with four spawning floors, each of which is 17x17, with 2 rows of water on all sides pushing the mobs to the corners. The bottom (trap) floor pulls everything that falls in a corner into two large streams and then down into a pair of lava traps. Once it was up and running, I took an hour to let it run while reading a book, and tallied how much I got at the end of that hour, and the numbers worked out as such:

Gunpowder: 281
Arrows: 212
Feathers: 246
String: 30
Total items: 764

That's with four floors, and I kept the access shaft which I used when digging out the floors in place, so I could extend the grinder upwards easily enough, if I cared to. If anyone wants me to include schematics of the floor & trap layout I used, I can.

Here's a few pics of the grinder:

Pic of the fourth (top) floor, immediately before I removed all the torches and closed up the access door to turn the floor "on":

Pic of the trap (bottom) floor, with a zombie stuck in one of the streams. The ladder up to the access tunnel is behind me in this pick, with the two lava traps behind and to either side.

And finally, a pic of me standing at the bottom of the "conveyer belt," watching all the loot drifting down to my waiting pockets.

RK2:
Jondera Greylock, 213/15 Opifex Fixer (Shattered Dreams), Newland City Minister of Security
Damold Garimen, 150/12 Solitus Melee Advy (Lumen Orien)
Emala, 63/5 Solitus Doctor (Shattered Dreams)
Yarika, 58/2 Nanomage Nanotechnician (Lumen Orien)
Delima, 51/5 Opifex Fixer (Lumen Orien), former TL2 BS twink, future ToTW twink
And others

Orgs of choice: Shattered Dreams & Lumen Orien

Crabface
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Crabface » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:05 am

I confess that my "mob grinder" does not work nearly that well. How do you avoid having the lava destroy the drops? It seems I'm losing roughly 75% of the drops because they immediately hit the lava when the mobs die -- it also seems that this happens less often with zombies than with any other monster, since I get a disproportionate number of feathers.