Costume supplies suggestions

Speak your mind. But keep it clean. NON-Anarchy Online related posts only please.
Stupidluigi
Seasoned
Seasoned

Costume supplies suggestions

Post by Stupidluigi » Fri May 07, 2010 11:28 am

I recently signed up to work an anime convention in my local area this September, and I want to make a costume to wear. My idea for the costume is Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series (if you're wondering why a video game costume at anime convention, I've signed up to work in the video gaming department). I figure I COULD pull it off if I got the supplies together, but that's where the problem arises. I've been checking prices on army surplus websites, but the items are either not in my price range, or nowhere to be seen.

So, this is where I come to you guys for help. I'd like some suggestions as to where I can buy certain supplies for the costume, and all gear totaled together should equal NO MORE than 200 USD. I can't post a picture here (due to parental controls), but if you Google "Solid Snake Brawl", you should get a good idea of what I want my costume to look like. If you can post links to the items I need at a decent price, great! That would help out a lot. Thank you in advance :)

[NOTE: Although it may be in the images you search through, I do NOT plan on using a gun holster in my costume. I plan on making my own little creation for the weapon :wink: ]
My toons (All Clan)
Mrbigstuph - Enforcer (Main) / Doctrfeelgud - Doctor / Traderluigi - Trader / Obsessednukr - Nano Technician / Toadtehkeep - Paid Keeper, currently frozen... / Generalguy - Paid Soldier, currently frozen... / Mayathesiren - Fixer
This city is afraid of me.

I have seen its true face.

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down and whisper

"Maybe after a Hot Pocket."

idef
Flagged
Flagged

Re: Costume supplies suggestions

Post by idef » Fri May 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Since these are AO related forums, I have to suggest that you buy a lot of blue and some white body paint, get a razor, leave clothes and hair home and go as GA fixer. Just need to get your GF to paint you. Sure, most will think that you are Dr Manhattan, but that's their problem.
Don't ask me, I just lurk here... and post mostly webdev stuff. What was this forum about again?
Idef 174 fixer / Badhorse 200 crat with the hat / Aidef 220/30/70 fixer (this one might be paid)

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sat May 08, 2010 8:52 am

This post is to remind myself that I do not automatically go for the easy prey, no matter how easy.

Content is liable to change.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Stupidluigi
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Stupidluigi » Sat May 08, 2010 11:23 am

Irmp wrote:Since these are AO related forums...
Note how I put this thread under the "Off-Topic" section.

I've decided to mix things up a bit. If anyone can help me with a good suggestion as stated in the original post, I will do my best to reward you ingame as best I can. Maybe that should give you some incentive :wink:
My toons (All Clan)
Mrbigstuph - Enforcer (Main) / Doctrfeelgud - Doctor / Traderluigi - Trader / Obsessednukr - Nano Technician / Toadtehkeep - Paid Keeper, currently frozen... / Generalguy - Paid Soldier, currently frozen... / Mayathesiren - Fixer
This city is afraid of me.

I have seen its true face.

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down and whisper

"Maybe after a Hot Pocket."

jato
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jato » Mon May 10, 2010 7:18 am

For the elbow/knee pads, you might be able to find some cheap skate pads that are nice and flat. (might have some gloves with it too)

if you've got an old backpack (especially the hiking kind) you can probably cannibalise that for all the strapping.

Camera holders would probably work fine for the little boxs.
Failing that, a deck box for Magic:TG/pokemon/yugioh/whatever if painted would probably be passable.

Not sure about the main suit bit, wetsuit might work.
Kiytan
Damrukh - Red Dead Subway Twink
Warpette - Warps on the move.

Hotbuttered
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Hotbuttered » Mon May 10, 2010 8:06 am

Bridget.

WorldTrader
Elite
Elite

Post by WorldTrader » Mon May 10, 2010 11:54 am

Mainsuit: ? body hugging swim top (green) with green tightish parachute pants strapped down in many places
Straps: Canvas belts, canvas straps, leather straps
Belt cases: old Camera cases, etc.
Boots: barring combat boots, dark green boots with modifications may work

Places I would check out:

1) GOODWILL STORES <-- sometimes you can find items they are selling for 25 cents a pound. You will find things you won't expect that you may or may not use.

2) Post on CRAIGSLIST <-- You may want to consider 2 posts. One that says exactly what you are doing (assembling a costume character) and one that just list items you are looking for...such as a lot of old small camera cases.

3) Your local THRIFT STORE - similar idea as GoodWill store above.

4) Your local YARD SALES - Who knows maybe one of them belongs to an war veteran and you can get a lot of old military gear. This is especially true if you live near a place where there are retired military or military bases.

fyi - those ARMY/NAVY suprlus stores are hardly bargains. They even overprice compared to what military people ACTUALLY pay.
WorldTrader (Level 200 Trader/RK1 Neutral)
"You are GREAT TRADER!" - Blastcore
"One of the Best Traders I've ever met" - Zenur
"Damn You are Handy" - Eskondas
"UR AMAZING" - Brutemage
"I swear you are the best trader!" - Wranglers
"you are UNIQUE somehow :)" - Kalvik4
"truly EXCEPTIONAL" - Mezzbest
"awesome service!" - Skytter
"You are an awesome guy" - Toomz
"How do you have so much power?" - Defiler
"the best trader in the game" - Octavio
"u are the most awsome trader ingame ^_^" - Alzyah