Howto: AO + Side apps running on linux!

Speak your mind. But keep it clean. NON-Anarchy Online related posts only please.
Zip file
Hardened
Hardened

Howto: AO + Side apps running on linux!

Post by Zip file » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:38 am

How to get AO AND clicksaver/nanonanny/aoskills/aois running fast on linux!

Words of warning:
  • In windowed mode (Which is what you are using cause you like clicksaver ;)) if you move the window off the screen, AO will crash...
    No biggie, just don't move it off the screen :) (Also crashes if you switch workspace on compiz but I set it to always on all workspaces in "Window rules" as a workaround)
  • .NET, DirectX, and IE6 require a windows license to run (You can run without, but this is just insurance... got an old win95 license? no? See if there are some on ebay lols)
  • This assumes you have the latest xOrg, ubunt Lucid is fine. Older versions make you choose between key repeat and being able to move :)
Instructions:
  • Install playonlinux
  • Install AO/Clicksaver in a POL prefix (lets call it ao) using the "Install application manually" link (You have to download the INSTALLER, what you get from the AO website is a download manager. Said download manager doesn't work in wine. It should be possible to download a basic installer from somewhere)
  • Download my wine compile with patches (http://www.speedyshare.com/files/263727 ... -pulse.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) (Or compile one on your own with patches shown on the appdb reference for anarchy online http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... on&iId=514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
  • Use playonlinux to install IE6 (In it's own prefix)
  • Use playonlinux to install directX end user runtimes into your AO prefix (I don't remember doing this part, AO might do it itsself)
  • Unpack Clicksaver, NanoNanny etc to the AO prefix directory (~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/ao/drive_c/Program Files/) (After trial and much error I now believe you should put AOskills into its own prefix with .NET 2.0, it won't start while anything else is up)
  • I suggest running the scripts manually from ~/.PlayOnLinux/configurations/installed/ as running straight from PlayOnLinux can create rendering issues
  • Open "~/.PlayOnLinux/configurations/installed/Anarchy Online" and change the last line so it looks like this:

Code: Select all

wine "/home/yourname/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/ao/drive_c/Program Files/Funcom/Anarchy Online/Anarchy.exe" >/dev/null 2>&1
  • Change the second line so it looks like this:

PATH="/path/to/wine-1.3.11-ao-winepulse-that-you-downloaded-earlier/bin/:$PATH"
  • Copy the Anarchy Online file and name it "Anarchy Update", change the WINEPREFIX line so it points to the IE prefix:

export WINEPREFIX="/home/yourname/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Internet Explorer 6"
  • Make sure any other applications in the ao prefix (Such as clicksaver) are using the same wine version, you won't be able to start two different wine versions on the same prefix at the same time... Sort of like the way matter cannot exist in the same time and space without causing the universe to blow up.
  • Clicksaver has to be run in the same prefix, and with a good path to AO. If running AO from outside the prefix you should use symlinks if you want clicksaver to work.
  • DON'T change the wine version in Playonlinux, the custom compile has the binary in a different location to standard playonlinux wine versions. This will break the game and you'll have to manually edit the wine version in the script file again
  • Use the update to patch AO, use the other for normal gameplay, user clicksaver with the normal gameplay one... enjoy :)
Recap:
  • Custom wine downloaded/unpacked
  • AO prefix with directX installed (And winetricks' vcrun2008 if you want item store) and AO and clicksaver installed
  • IE prefix with IE6 installed
  • AO script:

#!/bin/bash
    PATH="/path/to/wine-1.3.11-ao-winepulse/bin/:$PATH"
    export WINEPREFIX="/path/to/your/ao/prefix/"
    export WINEDEBUG="-all"
    cd "/path/to/your/prefix/drive_c/Program Files/Funcom/Anarchy Online/"
    wine "/path/to/your/prefix/drive_c/Program Files/Funcom/Anarchy Online/Anarchy.exe" >/dev/null 2>&1
  • AO update script:

#!/bin/bash
    PATH="/path/to/wine-1.3.11-ao-winepulse/bin/:$PATH"
    export WINEPREFIX="/path/to/your/internet/explorer/6/prefix/"
    export WINEDEBUG="-all"
    cd "/path/to/your/prefix/drive_c/Program Files/Funcom/Anarchy Online/"
    wine "/path/to/your/prefix/drive_c/Program Files/Funcom/Anarchy Online/Anarchy.exe" >/dev/null 2>&1
  • Clicksaver script:

#!/bin/bash
    PATH="/path/to/wine-1.3.11-ao-winepulse/bin/:$PATH"# SAME AS AO VERSION
    export WINEPREFIX="/path/to/your/ao/prefix/"# SAME AS AO PREFIX
    export WINEDEBUG="-all"
    cd "/path/to/your/prefix/drive_c/Program Files/Clicksaver/"
    gconftool-2 --set --type bool /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled false # Stop screensaver kicking in while rolling
    wine "/path/to/your/prefix/drive_c/Program Files/Clicksaver/ClickSaver.exe"  $@
    gconftool-2 --set --type bool /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled true #Renable screensaver. Both of these gconf edits are optional
Please post any problems you have, I haven't installed AO on linux in ages (But I have recently recompiled the wine version), it has managed to survive my install for quite a while.
Last edited by Zip file on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 20 times in total.

idef
Flagged
Flagged

Re: Working on linux

Post by idef » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:12 am

Zip file wrote:[*]Windowed (With large black border around lower/right edge, however setting that as the resolution makes the rendered area even smaller again... It shrinks exponentially with a smaller window, and using max size won't work due to the asterisk here) *
That was fixed in Wine 1.1.38 http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zip file wrote: [*]Walking (Use xset r off/on on kde, use "gconftool -t bool -s /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/repeat false"/true on gnome)[/list]
Again, fixed, either by Wine or X.org, not sure when, it just started to work properly for me a while ago (Arch64, KDE, NVidia).

Clicksaver... it just keeps crashing my AO. Where did you download yours and what version it is? And what version of Wine are you using? What distro are you using and is it 64bit?

Sidenote: looks like Wine 1.1.41 doesn't like AO (or my setup), had to downgrade back to 1.1.40.
Don't ask me, I just lurk here... and post mostly webdev stuff. What was this forum about again?
Idef 174 fixer / Badhorse 200 crat with the hat / Aidef 220/30/70 fixer (this one might be paid)

Zip file
Hardened
Hardened

Re: Working on linux

Post by Zip file » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:26 am

Windowed border is POL bug, just run script manually and it will be fine, Xorg problem has been fixed, but ubuntu karmic which most people will be using doesn't have that version.

Using CS 3.0 from kimis website, the thing is, CS needs to be in the same prefix as AO, AND have access to the dll, which means it has to be in the same prefix as AO, which is the same one they are installed in. And an ies4linux prefix breaks cs, so only use it for updating.

You can create a new POL prefix, where it works out of the box, and create an extra launcher to launch AO in the ies4linux prefix when you want to update. (Remember to run the script from outside POL or it will render badly)

I'm on 64bit ubuntu atm, but it should work on arch too... Just use the same prefix and the same one they are kept at...

Edit: Got AOSKills and nanonanny running too, updated post!

Zip file
Hardened
Hardened

Re: AO + Side apps running on linux!

Post by Zip file » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Updated for the first time in ages. Only remaining bug is that I can't seem to get pulseaudio to compile properly, and that AO crashes on logout. No matter, takes 1 click to dissapear the popup and I have xkill mapped to Ctrl Alt X and a script to kill all my wineprefixes just in case. +1 for bash :P