Ryzom is opened for froobs ^^

Speak your mind. But keep it clean. NON-Anarchy Online related posts only please.
Behemoth
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:57 am

Hmm... never heard of "Ryzom"...

But reading the comments, seems it must be an interesting game, and i want to try it out BUT... my main concern and question, since no one brought it up, is whats the PvP system ?
Is there PvP ? Optional PvP ? Free PvP ? PvE only ? Or combined like AO style ?
Any details and feedback about this "issue" would be greatly appreciated before downloading (download which in my case its 100% related to the PvP/PvE factor and how it is)
-------------------------------------------------------
Time & Space skill locked until further notice.
-------------------------------------------------------

Tehsummoner
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Tehsummoner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:48 am

It's pretty much like AO.

There is mass "faction" PvP (like tower wars) over Outposts (guild bases), there's duel, and there are zones in wich PvP is free.
From my limited experience, i'd say that the mass PvP is the most practiced form of PvP. Usually happends at high levels.
Tehsummoner • meta
[Droppler • fix] [Ancientguard • enf]
[
Bulletcam • agent] [MasterWelder • engi]
[
Sacriffice • trader] [MiniTeh • meta]

Unkala
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Unkala » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:13 am

Behemoth wrote:Is there PvP ? Optional PvP ? Free PvP ? PvE only ? Or combined like AO style ?
Check out http://www.ryzom.org/page/ryzom_presentation, about 80% of the way down.
"Main": Fetidia -MP
Retired: Unkala -Enf, Dingho -Bur, Receipt -Tra (RK2)

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Re: Ryzom is opened for froobs ^^

Post by Tarradax » Sat May 29, 2010 1:57 am

Time for an ancient necro of ancientness (Spelling checker says it's a real word)!

Apparently the whole game is now open-source. Everything. Engine, Client, GFX/SFX assets... Anyone still playing the game? I'm suddenly very curious about it...
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Unkala
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Unkala » Mon May 31, 2010 1:20 am

Tarradax wrote:Anyone still playing the game? I'm suddenly very curious about it...
Not I. From what I saw, the game simply didn't get more complex or interesting as levels increased. You kept doing the same things, only against bigger monsters and tougher dig sites farther from town. Roaming through the wilderness grinding skills up doesn't stay fun forever, and that's just about all the content the game had.

The custom mission-building system was fascinating, but suffered a huge flaw: missions weren't stored on the server. If you wanted your custom mission to be playable by others, you had to run it on YOUR computer (or get someone else to run it -- the files were sharable). And you had to be logged into your account to do this, so you couldn't even play the game normally on a second machine unless you also had two accounts.
"Main": Fetidia -MP
Retired: Unkala -Enf, Dingho -Bur, Receipt -Tra (RK2)

Tehsummoner
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Tehsummoner » Mon May 31, 2010 8:57 am

While it is a grind, IMO it is a diverse one. There are 50ish skills you can train at any point.

However, what i liked most at Ryzom was the crafting system. For example, for a recipe you'd need bark. But there are different types of bark: willow, maple, whatnot, each with their own effects on the final product. That aspect alone made Ryzom a good game for me. Too bad it's P2P now.
Tehsummoner • meta
[Droppler • fix] [Ancientguard • enf]
[
Bulletcam • agent] [MasterWelder • engi]
[
Sacriffice • trader] [MiniTeh • meta]

jato
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jato » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:31 am

I remember playing the game a while ago, and really liking the crafting system, if its gone even more free (thats horrible grammar I realise) i will definatly have to give it another go, hope they've fixed the lag, as it was fairly bad last time i played it.
Kiytan
Damrukh - Red Dead Subway Twink
Warpette - Warps on the move.

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:30 pm

jato wrote:I remember playing the game a while ago, and really liking the crafting system, if its gone even more free (thats horrible grammar I realise) i will definatly have to give it another go, hope they've fixed the lag, as it was fairly bad last time i played it.
It's p2p. You get a 21-day trial but then you have to pay.... Or I guess recompile your own game server/client, seeing how they're opensource now.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link