Ryzom is opened for froobs ^^

Speak your mind. But keep it clean. NON-Anarchy Online related posts only please.
gandoula
Flagged
Flagged

Post by gandoula » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:18 pm

concerning attk system, that nothing out of ordinary like what AO did. a classic in rpg's (min, max dmg, crit bonus) , but still there are some option from our ol' paper RPG, something called penalty, like if you wear a 2 handed weapon your have a negative modifier on evades, hit chance, spell cast,etc...

and yes their feature that let your customize specials attacks and spells is cool.
for exemple you can modify a "Acid spell" to add a additional cold damage if you want, but you have to keep a balance, and thus by adding more np cost, + cast time and so on.
pretty nice feature.

well a pretty nice mmorpg that suffered from a lack of advertissement that's why he wasn't so played.

ps: sozzzz about my english cause 'im french
RK2
Zeromp: 161 trox MP
=>froob Kabjunior: 100 piercing doc
=>Kaizoku: 100 agent.
[Sloob]Kabut0: 200/10/8 Doctor [Frozen]

Mapleforcer
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Mapleforcer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:41 pm

LMAO at you guys. Wow @ no info... :x

Combat: directional attacks or click to attack?

Movement: WASD or point-and-click adventure?

gandoula
Flagged
Flagged

Post by gandoula » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:18 pm

Combat: directional attacks or click to attack?
liike all RPG you target and you dash normal hits, specials..... using your....hotbar ^^

Movement: WASD or point-and-click adventure?
its WASD or ZQSD (azerty) with auto.run (like the 0 numpad in AO )
RK2

Mapleforcer
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Mapleforcer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:43 pm

Wasd movement?! Sweet! I'm trying it out!!!!! :D :D :D

Thanks grand! :lol:

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:06 pm

Hmm. At first glance after about 15 mins of playing:
  • Pretty factor is nice. Or at least, much nicer than AO (Not a challenge). Starter island looks like a rainy bog, but the player, NPC and mob models/skins are done well, if somewhat creepy. You can, with some tweaking, play something that looks like a reanimated stickman.
  • Movement is both keyboard and mouse based, fully configurable keys so you can set it to be whatever you want.
  • Combat is standard enough -- Double click a mob to attack with your default attack or click other actions to attack with them. Everything is again pretty standard, special abilities on hotbars yadda yadda. Seen it a hundred times.
  • Skill system looks very very interesting. It's a lot like The Elder Scrolls series but not an exact copy. Basically, you get "Types" of XP for using a certain skill type, so stabbing something with a shiv is going to yield "Fight" type of XP which can then be used to purchase "Fight" type of skills. There's no leveling per se, but you get titles (ie "Apprentice Fighter") and you advance your character by spending points on the skillset of your choice.
  • Inventory is WEIGHT BASED. I can see it being a pain later on, but there are some things that are great about it, such as crafting ingredients weighing 0 and thus taking up no inventory space.
That's about as far as I've gotten to, the game seems like a nice timewaster but I don't really think I'll leave WoW or Warhammer for it.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

gonzales
Amateur
Amateur

Post by gonzales » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:10 pm

iirc, Range attack and the associate weapons are in mainland. And in starter island, only spellcasting and melee.

I usually do harvesting and frequently got nuke by the poison cloud lol :lol:
Achemedes Atlantean Opifex Fixer (clan)
Mitutoyo Atlantean Opifex Trader (clan)

gandoula
Flagged
Flagged

Post by gandoula » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm

mobs are a little scripted too, if ya see herbivorous animals like the Bodocs in hunting grounds, they move in groups and they split when you kill some.
carnovorous animals (like Frippos, Torbaks and the Ragus) are social and if ya attack one ya aggro 3 of his friends.

one BAAAD thing is that you cant loot anything off humanoid monsters ^^

another thing is that i dont stop dying lol.
RK2

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:18 pm

gandoula wrote:one BAAAD thing is that you cant loot anything off humanoid monsters ^^
Oh yeah, forgot to mention this. "Looting" is actually "Quartering". Since apparently the designers are spineless wussies, you can't quarter non-beasts. Crying shame, that. I bet someone would be able to craft 'em a better spine, if only you could ahm... Find... One of those around.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Tobias
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Tobias » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:35 pm

I remember back when I played this reading about how the game environment was almost alive in Ryzom. It supposedly is constantly changing, the spawns in areas change, and the omnivore / carnivore type mobs actually have a prey / predator relationship. I recall being out harvesting or just roaming around away from a town and seeing the wolf/dog mobs in packs killing the deer type mobs. It's really neat, and I'm tempted to go back and play some again.

Vabla
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Vabla » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:22 am

There's another creepy factor to the game. When you're harvesting you're very likely to attract the attention of local animals. They come and stare at you @_@
Crafting system is supreme I'd say. One of the very few games that I consider to have "real" crafting. Meaning you use actual ingredients that decide the properties of made items instead of some "key" item + filler "ingredients" (like in lineage) to make another clone item.
Each item can have any combination of mixed statistics depending on the materials you used.

Most magic debuffs are quite similar to AO ones (snare, root, blind, attack speed) but there's also Madness that makes the target randomly attack itself. One interesting thing is that if you have a healing spell you can't use it on yourself. Now if I could find a magic amp to handle my lvl 2 spells I'd be happy :/
Vabla AKA Bliaha is LOST between worlds
It's PONY time! Find me on dArt

Prime
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prime » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:50 am

... Character -> Body -> Bust Size...

Best... Game... EVER :D

Mapleforcer
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Mapleforcer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:48 am

Torrent taking forever! ZOMG! CANT...STAND..IT... :evil:

-------------

For anyone still interested...

I logged on for just a bit, and was a bit dissapointed. I dunno, maybe it's a side-effect of AO, but the anime-style graphics are simply...not amazing. But I have yet to figure out what to do :D.

Mackem
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mackem » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:55 pm

I have downloaded Ryzom about a week ago and got seriously hooked to be honest. Could not stop playing it and logged in to AO once within a week for a few mins only.

Positive things for me were:

1. Graphics at 1440x900 is stunning as it was already mentioned. Jungle on a noob "island" looks very alive with all the flies etc buzzing around.

2. No class restrictions and open skill system as also was pointed out already. Same as in Bethesda series or EvE where you can develop and branch your character out as you like.

3. Customisable actions/attacks buildable from "blocks" which you can (and should) tweak according to your play style.

4. Full game content access for a newly created account, not just a newb area. Though the newb area is rather big and I have not yet left it after a week of playing, still have lots of things to learn and discover.

5. Foraging/crafting (as also mentioned earlier) is superb.

6. Extremely friendly community, very helpful player base.

The negative stuff I came across:

1. Quite a number of newbie area quests are bugged, the bugs are minor but rather annoying. Some "go kil 10 of xxx" quests not being updated per each kill, some NPC dialogues do not clearly indicate what you must do.

2. The named/boss type mob kill quests obviously require a team to handle but only ONE player in team gets quest completion per kill = have to camp poor boss for some to get all team members quests done.

3. Bank (storage) or bags do not exist. Yes, you "can" get a packer (mule) to carry your stuff or even create a one-man guild for the extra storage if you are hoarding lots of stuff but none of those available on noob island which is a big pain.

4. The inventory is not "just" weight-based, it's both weight AND "bulk" based so you are filling your inventory very fast with all quartering/foraging (see "no bags" clause above).

Overall I would rate it 8-9 out of 10 and am likely to play further leaving AO on a shelf for a while. I actually met quite a lot of AO players there, same as lots of people from AoC, WoW, EvE LOtR etc...

Another feature I found interesting was a team exp sharing concept, where you won't get exp even if you are in team if you are not contributing to a particular kill (no triple-logging into Broken Shores team mishes to power-lvl joo alts!) which works same way even for healers who have to actually land a benefitial spell (heal) onto a killing member before the particular mob he fights drops dead :)

So all in all: great game, very much worth trying.

Tobias
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Tobias » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:35 am

I also downloaded it again. I didn't even play for a month back when I paid I think, but my character is still there.

The guild I was in is either gone or I was removed for inactivity. Who knows, if I meet some folks I might get into it again, otherwise the community I'm involved with in AO is too great.

I do really enjoy the harvesting and crafting system though.

Mapleforcer
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Mapleforcer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:37 pm

I am kinda hooked after 2 days, and I must say that the number one thing that kinda unsets this game in the long run is the lack of profesions. Crafting, maging, ranging, melee. Period. That's only four classes, just like if you had only nt's, enfo's, soldiers, and...traders. :P Obviously, there is a crying lack of pet prof's as well as some alternative tanks (advys and ma's and fixers)

So I think that with an expansion pack or two, this game would overall be better than AO. At this point...it's not. But I really like it so far.

:D