Sad news for Pratchett fans

Speak your mind. But keep it clean. NON-Anarchy Online related posts only please.
Nattfare
Rookie
Rookie

Sad news for Pratchett fans

Post by Nattfare » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:56 am

I read this on another forum and felt I could post it here.

It seems that Discworld author Terry Pratchett is struck by Alzheimer :(

He's written 36 Discworld books so far.

Sad news if you ask me as I'm a fan of his books.

Source on these news can be found here
Che sara sara

Redtorpedo
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Redtorpedo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:01 am

sad to hear that ive read a few of his books (moastly in high school) and thought they where good
RK-2 (Rimor)
-Redtorpedo : Martial Artist (TL5) (Sloob)
-Member of The Peoples Front of Judea

LaraCroftsLeftBoob
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by LaraCroftsLeftBoob » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:55 am

NOOOOOOOO!!!

his books are awesome.

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:46 pm

That's.... Mweh. I've read almost all of his books, mostly during boring Biochem or Math classes in school. Funny thing is that I always wondered what kind of a mental illness one would need in order to come up with something like Ankh Morpork or Luggage.... Sad news indeed.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

DocJones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DocJones » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:27 pm

:'( ...

have nearly all of his novels (just miss the last three or four, since they are only available in hardcover here in germany). Even have some twice and probably half of the rest in english...

I am reading them continously, each one at least every two years. After the premature death of Douglas Adams, another good writer ceases.

Very sad news, indeed...
Last edited by DocJones on Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking...
Proud Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
Toons:
Zzzzzzwap (inofficial main), Krisplin (main, but buff whore)
Theophrastus (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
Rosling
Tarradax wrote:Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Yes. You so totally win. ...
vs.
Tarradax wrote: Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: It's all your fault.
Aofroobs: [IRC] Tarradax: Totally your fault.
~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Weeping Willow
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Weeping Willow » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:51 am

and this the same year than Robert Jordan died .....

I think I m going to reread Good Omens a 4th time to pay my respect
RK1, Omni and General of Newcomers Alliance

GridPain Fixer TL5 Frank Nfurter : Doc TL5 (pvp version)
JimProfit : Level 100 Crat (foreman helper)
New leveling crat : Coredumped

WeepinWillow, Forcedevente, Whipinwillow, Slayie, NeedleWorker, Asafart, Ouvreboite, Asafurt, Malaucrane, Karmapolice ... etc etc ...

Dako-ta
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Dako-ta » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:40 am

Robert Jordan died?

Dang, I missed that. I knew he was very sick as of a year or two ago, but the last time I came across any info, there was still at least a glimmer of hope for improvement. His WoT series had problems & drove some people away after too many books with no real progression of the main plot line, but I liked it a lot, tho even I got impatient with a couple of the last 3-4 I read. However, the last one I read I thought had regained some momentum & I think the one before that was the sort-of-prequel to the whole series which I thought was good.

Pratchet was OK, a good writer but not in my personal top rank of favorites.

David Feintuch, creator of the Nicholas Seafort series, died a year or two ago too (2006, decided to look it up). He only wrote a half-dozen or so books in the Seafort series, and little else, but those books were good enough (or, at least, appealed to me enough) to move him into my top rank of favorites.

It was kind of odd, he lived about 25 miles from me but as far as an author goes, he kept a very low profile locally, no signings at bookstores, no programs at libraries (I encouraged my local library a couple of times to invite him to do something, but it fell on deaf ears). Maybe he wanted it that way, he was fairly well known in the area as the founder of an antique mall with multiple vendors. After his death the local paper published a nice, long article about him & the mall - and devoted about 3 sentences to his being an author. :-s

Well, time marches on & all that, but sad to hear about Jordan & Pratchett.

Regards,

Dako-ta

"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"

-- Gerald Barzan

Houseofsleep
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Houseofsleep » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:25 am

Just to clarify - he's not dead yet!
And he is still writing.
He has Alzheimers - which is obviously pretty devastating, but he is still with us.
That weapon will replace your tongue. You will learn to speak through it. And your poetry will now be written with blood.

Houseofsleep - Adventurer RK1
Blackcurtain - Fixer RK1
Houseofzen - MA RK1
Sleepcartel - Trader RK1
Houseofkanji - MA RK2

Nattfare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nattfare » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:46 am

Houseofsleep wrote:Just to clarify - he's not dead yet!
And he is still writing.
He has Alzheimers - which is obviously pretty devastating, but he is still with us.
True, he's writing two books for the moment that he want to finnish before anything else.
Che sara sara

Iaito
Skilled
Skilled

Post by Iaito » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:25 am

Weeping Willow wrote:and this the same year than Robert Jordan died .....
Yeah.. both their deaths are sad... he never finnished wheel of time either... and I love those books..
Freedom for neutrals! Freedom by neutrals! Freedom for rubika!
John "Iaitoo" Lloyd; Trade minister of Newland.

Carnichown
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Carnichown » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:13 pm

oh f*** no.. that means no more discworld novels :s?

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:17 pm

Umm. In a word, no. Alzheimer is a progressive disease, which means he will get worse over time, much like Parkinson disease and Multiple Sclerosis. But we do not know the progression of his disease nor do we know how much it is affecting his work and quality of life. The last live video I saw of him in 2007 showed him with his usual humor and grace.

One thing that Alzheimer patients hate is being thought of as "already dead" or "less of a person". It's the same person in there, folks. The memory and cognitive functions will slowly deteriorate over time, but all people reach a point of senescence eventually (if they live long enough). I get the feeling that Pratchett will continue to write as long as he can.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:23 am

hahnsoo wrote:Umm. In a word, no. Alzheimer is a progressive disease, which means he will get worse over time, much like Parkinson disease and Multiple Sclerosis. But we do not know the progression of his disease nor do we know how much it is affecting his work and quality of life. The last live video I saw of him in 2007 showed him with his usual humor and grace.

One thing that Alzheimer patients hate is being thought of as "already dead" or "less of a person". It's the same person in there, folks. The memory and cognitive functions will slowly deteriorate over time, but all people reach a point of senescence eventually (if they live long enough). I get the feeling that Pratchett will continue to write as long as he can.
Nobody's saying he's already dead, but Alzheimer's is an incurable disease - Not a good thing, considering that even Cancer or HIV have treatments that show at least *some* potential. Last I recall (That'll be more than a couple years back, when I was doing my 1st degree in Biochem) there are no effective treatments for Alzheimer's.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link