Cosplay Time Again!

Speak your mind. But keep it clean. NON-Anarchy Online related posts only please.
Stupidluigi
Seasoned
Seasoned

Cosplay Time Again!

Post by Stupidluigi » Mon May 21, 2012 11:28 am

It's that time of year again. The time of year when I start to get hyped about anime conventions. The time of year when I want to make a new costume for said conventions. The time of year when I try to figure out how to afford and make said costume. That's right, folks - it's COSPLAY TIME!

My new costume idea comes courtesy of my new favorite Wii game, Monster Hunter Tri. I want to do a specific weapon/armor combo (pics below), but the main problem thus far is the material. Good quality cosplays that use armor (specifically METAL armor) usually end up costing the costume owner upwards of hundreds, even thousands, of dollars - this also doesn't take into account the amount of time needed to MAKE the costume once the materials are purchased. As a college student with no income, metal for the armor AND the weapon is out of the question.

Here is the weapon I want to use - if you can't see the image very well, try Goggling "Monster Hunter Tri Barbarian Blade".

Here is what the armor looks like - this is just a drawing, but I think it's better quality than the screenshot image the site uses.

So, here's where you guys come in. I'd like to know what materials could work for the setups pictured above (doesn't have to be just ONE material), and meet the following criteria:

- Fairly lightweight - I'll be walking around these conventions for hours, and I don't want to be weighed down by the costume.
- Lets air in - I have neither the capacity nor the want to install an AC system inside the costume.
- Fairly flexible - This is mainly in relation to the joint areas of the body, the areas that don't bend can afford to be stiffer.
- Somewhat loose - Skin-tight = absolutely not! I'm not in shape for that, and it defeats the purpose.
- Looks like metal - Since the armor is - more or less - MADE of metal, something similar in appearance would add to the quality.
- Cost-effective - This is THE most important criteria. I'm not sure exactly how much money I have at my disposal, but I know it most likely won't be much.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE input in this matter will be greatly appreciated. :D
My toons (All Clan)
Mrbigstuph - Enforcer (Main) / Doctrfeelgud - Doctor / Traderluigi - Trader / Obsessednukr - Nano Technician / Toadtehkeep - Paid Keeper, currently frozen... / Generalguy - Paid Soldier, currently frozen... / Mayathesiren - Fixer
This city is afraid of me.

I have seen its true face.

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down and whisper

"Maybe after a Hot Pocket."

idef
Flagged
Flagged

Re: Cosplay Time Again!

Post by idef » Mon May 21, 2012 10:02 pm

I'd just go as a fixer in the cheapest GA ever: http://superfansuits.com/camouflage/blu ... -suit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you tried reading a lot of cosplay blogs and learn what kind of materials others use? At least the shoulder pieces could be made from expanding foam (make a blob of foam, let it settle, carve what you want out of it with a knife, paint).
But that jacket, it will end up looking like a dress unless you use tons of money and time on it.

That's why I vote for a metal wire frame and lots of ducktape. Who doesn't love a crazy ducktape costume! And it totally looks like metal too!

Tazer
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Tazer » Tue May 22, 2012 6:52 pm

If you make the sword out of very light metal and the armor out of plastic the painted it would that work? Or you can do very very thin metal and make little holes in it....you must post pics when your done making it!
.:: : Tazerman 200 / 00 / 00 : Soli Engineer : Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi
.:: : Tazers 200 / 00 / 00 : Soli Agent : Squad Commander of Torchwood
.:: : Tazerdoc 200 / 00 / 00 : NM Doctor :

Stupidluigi
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Stupidluigi » Wed May 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Tazer wrote:If you make the sword out of very light metal and the armor out of plastic the painted it would that work? Or you can do very very thin metal and make little holes in it....you must post pics when your done making it!
As I said before, metal (in ANY shape or form) is out of the question because of pricing. For the armor I could probably use some sort of plastic, but I'm not aware of any kinds that are reasonably priced, or match the rest of my criteria.
idef wrote:I'd just go as a fixer in the cheapest GA ever: http://superfansuits.com/camouflage/blu ... -suit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you tried reading a lot of cosplay blogs and learn what kind of materials others use? At least the shoulder pieces could be made from expanding foam (make a blob of foam, let it settle, carve what you want out of it with a knife, paint).
But that jacket, it will end up looking like a dress unless you use tons of money and time on it.

That's why I vote for a metal wire frame and lots of ducktape. Who doesn't love a crazy ducktape costume! And it totally looks like metal too!
Unfortunately, duct tape most likely would not work for this outfit for a few reasons:
(1) This armor, in the game, is not made ENTIRELY out of metal. It's actually made from parts of a particular monster, and as such it doesn't have the metallic shine that most metal-based armors have.
(2) I'm not sure how much wire-frame would run me in terms of cost, but again, that falls into the "Metal is out of the question" category.
(3) I've made a duct tape costume before for Halloween many years back, but it didn't turn out so great. The reason is that when I applied it directly to some old clothes I had, the duct tape turned the shirt into more of a "cocoon". I literally had to be CUT out of the shirt.
For those reasons, I'd like to stay away from duct tape.

I did look for a few cosplay blogs, and found one where someone had pictures of the costume they made, with the exact armor I WANT to make. Unfortunately, it was mostly just pictures, not instructions on making the costume. However, two materials were mentioned for making the helmet: minicell foam and paperclay. Anyone here know anything about those two materials?
My toons (All Clan)
Mrbigstuph - Enforcer (Main) / Doctrfeelgud - Doctor / Traderluigi - Trader / Obsessednukr - Nano Technician / Toadtehkeep - Paid Keeper, currently frozen... / Generalguy - Paid Soldier, currently frozen... / Mayathesiren - Fixer
This city is afraid of me.

I have seen its true face.

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down and whisper

"Maybe after a Hot Pocket."