Arete Landing Guide - New Starting Area

New to Anarchy Online or just new to the AOFroobs forums? Introduce yourself here, ask questions about the game, and learn how to become a successful Anarchy Online fr00b.
jphn37
Fresh
Fresh

Arete Landing Guide - New Starting Area

Post by jphn37 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:50 pm

Whoops! I was beaten to the punch. A much more detailed guide than I had planned is in the Knowledge Database forum here
So I'll leave this more list-like and won't add images.

The new starting area, Arete Landing, has some notable differences to the old Newbie Isle (aka ICC Shuttleport).

The quest-line is very linear. You are trying to get a false ID so that you can enter Rubikie. The quest line teaches much more of the game basics than the old isle. You’ll learn to pick up items and use them on an object, place them on the ground, sneak, tradeskill, make and install implants, and more.
There is a “cheat” to skip these quests. See the med suit quest in post two. But the truth is that the new starter area equips you for life on the mainland. I think I’ll be doing the questline on my alts.
  • The first mission is really basic. Kill five Malfunctioning Cleaning Robots, and open the cargo box. You get the mission by talking to Rex Larsson.
    But . . . it’s not a bad idea to just kill, kill, kill and level up here. These robots drop the pieces for the Alvin & Dodga Shoulderpads quest. Also, you might get lucky and find a Shiny Sword. Right click it if you do, then deliver it to the Greedy Desert Reet (3380, 570) for Composite Nano Expertise nano crystal.
  • Next go see Marcus Stone, who needs help putting out some fires. Pick up the fire extinguisher in your inventory and right click the fire. (You’ll probably have to go through the dialogue about “You cannot place this item here. Do you want to delete it?” a couple of times. Click “No,” and try again.) He gives you the generic nano transmitter.
    He also gives an optional quest to heal a Wounded Dockworker. Target the dockworker, then right click the special stim in your inventory, and then return it to Marcus. Reward: more QL1 Health and Nano Stims for you.
  • Next you see Flint Novak, and he asks you to kill 7 robots. But beware. If you go to deep to the west, you can enter an area where the first boss lives. Not too tough, but if caught unawares, it could send you to reclaim. Also the sandfleas will agro you. Anyhow, now you have a bio-analyzing computer in your inventory.
  • Either way, now you’re right by Alex Gibbs (3519.3, 856.5).
    Now we enter a series of missions that begins and ends with Alex. First, we’re going to target a surveillance drone with a device in our inventory. Next we’ll plant a bug in a houseplant. Finally we’ll take down an Atrox.
    1. Deliver the bioanalyzing computer to Alex Gibbs. Reward: Blank Info Chip and Rebuilt HC-12 SecTec Monitor.
    2. Target a surveillance droid and right click the Rebuilt HC-12 SecTec Monitor in your inventory. Reward: RC-P Audio Recording Device
    3. Plant the bug: Put the RC-P Audio Recording Device in the houseplant in Desmond Calitri’s office.
    4. Give the SecTec Monitor to Immigration Officer Bill.
    5. Kill the Kneebreaker. He summons Bruisers. I killed him, but then died from the Bruisers. Be prepared for that, or be better equipped than me.
    6. Return to Alex. Reward: 2560-Bit Encryption Compiler and Nano Crystal (Composite Tradeskill Expertise). Raise your skills and upload it now. (BTW: That piece of junk machine behind her? That’s the Junk Shop. You might need that for some optional quests.)
  • Now we’re given a waypoint to Alan Goodman (3463.5, 883.1) in the bazaar.
    Buy lock pick, sneak past the guard dog, open the chest. 1. Buy the lock pick from the ICC Tech Supplies store. (It’s actually a “Vacuum-packed lock pick.” Unseal it simply by right-clicking.) Then go to the waypoint. There’s a “Shift-click question mark” that simply tells you to hit “h” to start sneaking. Sneak past the guard dog to the white chest. Pick up the lockpick in your inventory, and right click on the chest. An Antonio’s Adaptation Factory will appear in your inventory. Sneak out past the dog, and return to Stan Goodman.
    He wants the Adaptation Factory, the 2560-Bit Encryption Compiler, the Blank Info Chip, and the Generic Nano Transmitter. Reward: Unprogrammed Identification Chip.
  • You’ve also been given a mission to buy a nano container. Buy it, and then right click it to open it. Reward: “Composite Attribute Boost” nano.
  • Now, Talk to Sarah Greene (3467.2, 841.0) in the armor booth. Get the “Find the thief” mission. If you run south over the edge of the platform, you’ll be at the entrance to the basement area. Take the left fork and kill the garbage fleas on your way in. (These guys seem to have a better drop rate for the aforementioned Venom Samples) for the Poison Injector Bracelets.) The garbage flea boss is on top of the dead thief. You’re probably too low level to kill it. Just loot the thief and the DNA-Locked Prototype Raven Combat Armor appears in your inventory. Return it to Sarah. Reward: Biological Survey Nanobots
  • Talk to Vernon Godfray (3433.6, 823.4). He’s upstairs where you bought the lock pick. He gives you the Omni-tech technical library and a hacker tool. Open up the tradeskill window and place the hacker tool and the library in there. Click build. You now have a Hacked Technical Library. Give it to him (he let’s you keep it) and you get the Cargo Lifting mission.
    You’ll find the shipping terminal in the building just west of the Kneebreaker. Talk to it, run through the dialogue, then return to Vernon. Give him your Unprogrammed Identification Chip. He gives you the Blank ICC ID Chip and a mission to talk to Doctor Mason.
  • Dr. Mason (3428.5, 795.9) gives a mission to Assemble a Leg implant: Agility, Shiny, Stamina bright, Max Health Faded (in that order). Do so, then give it to Mason for a second. He then asks that you install it. (This required me to have 24 stamina. I was level 4, and I didn’t have it. So I had to level on garbage fleas in the basement. At level 5, I could cast composite attribute boost on myself, and thus install the leg implant.) Then talk to Dr. Mason again, and he asks for the Biological Survey Nanobots and the Blank ICC ID Chip. Reward: Personalized ICC ID Chip.
  • Finally, find the bartender Lorelei’s lost pet reet.
    Begin the dialogue by talking to the bartender Lorelei (3370.7, 793.7). When you have the mission, buy a Tasty Peanut Butter Cookie from her. Run basically straight south. You’re looking for Lolly the Reet, who is flying around in the grassy area SSW of the bar. Click her and give her the cookie. Then you can pick her up. Then use the tradeskill window to put Lolly in the cage. Return her to the bar, and get your ID Chip upgraded to the Identification Card. Then just outside the bar, at the entrance to ICC is Vaughn Hammond. Talk to him and you’re ready to go to the mainland.
This is the “mandatory” questline to get out of the starter area. But there are other quests available, some of which, like getting a 3-slot belt, are just stupid not to do. See below.
So, in the bottom line, what do we get? Well, we get a much longer mandatory quest line, so expect to see far fewer level 3s in Borealis. We get the level 25 restriction lifted on composite attributes and skills. We get force fed a much more thorough introduction to the game. We get much more stuff in the starter area, although we still don’t get access to a bank, a container store, or the market and mail system. The Newcomer’s Armor now levels. You get side quests (see below) for a 3-slot - 76 CL belt, 3 X 8NCU - 76 CL chips, Basic Armor parts, and a med-suit.

Thanks to Legendfluff for some corrections and tips.
Last edited by jphn37 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:42 am, edited 11 times in total.

jphn37
Fresh
Fresh

Re: Arete Landing Guide - New Starting Area

Post by jphn37 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:51 pm

Additional activities and quests:
  • Desmond Calitri. (3490.4, 456.6) Buy a Bronto Burger and return to the building where you planted the bug in the houseplant. Talk to Desmond. He wants the bronto burger. Then he asks you to kill two protestors. Return and then go kill Cedric Harding. Violent Protestors will add. Reward: Dockworker Overalls, The Brute Suit, and Experimental Nano Armor Exosuit.
  • In the basement on the right hand fork, there is a “credit card” on the ground at the end behind some boxes (3451.4, 891.6). When you pick up the credit card, two missions appear in your mission window. One is to right-click the credit card to steal 15,000 credits. (This is also the exact sum to bribe Vaughn Hammond to skip all the quests.) The better option is to return the card to Lenora Marty. She wanders around the bazaar in the vicinity of Alan Goodman. Reward: Vacuum Packed Omni-med Suit.
  • Patrick Sun. Talk to him. (Remember Wefunk? It's like that!) Save at the Insurance Terminal. Talk to him again. Get killed by his mighty punch. “Yell” at him. Get a short delivery mission to Logistics Manager Cesario: (3411, 866,). Go back and “yell” at him again. Reward: 3-slot belt, CL 76.
  • 3 NCU: Alien Ship, find a friend. (3888.8, 248.9) Enter the ship and talk to the person in the alien disguise. You’ll get a mission to invite a friend to a team and then use a nano canister on that teammate. Reward: 3 NCU worth 24 NCU total.
  • Janos: At the starting location in Arete Landing, look on the west side for the concentrically flashing blue circle. That will load you into the shuttle, and you can run forward to find Janos. He'll give you package for a blue android named Ralph in ICC headquarters.
    When you leave Arete Landing for good, and arrive at ICC, run forward and to the right for the Holodeck building. Step inside, behind the desk, onto the transporter. Upstairs in the Arbiter's Hall, Ralph will be directly in front of you. You'll be buffed with Blessing of Palmerio (but no, not given a nano crystal for that), but more importantly, you'll gain a full level and receive credits. So, it might be a good idea to hold off and hand in this quest a bit later on when gaining a full level is more time consuming. Talk to the other NPCs with blue names while you're up there.
If you are paid, you’ll want to gain two alien levels. (Three if you stay past level 15.) How? Simply by killing aliens here.
  • Remi Gallois (3433, 837): Paid only, apparently. Get the quest and a rocket launcher from the him. The rocket launcher simply wipes the Sandstom walkers out. Kill three and return for reward: Nano Crystal (Composite Ranged Expertise), (Composite Ranged Special), (Composite Melee Expertise), (Composite Physical Special).
  • Stolen yalmala. Meh. It gives you a nano for a +500 runspeed (supposedly. I never feel it.) ground vehicle. Better than not having it I suppose. Talk to the Shady Guy. Go out front (south) to where the Rollerrats hang out. Find the roaming Yalmala. Attack it. Kill the guy who hops out. Take the Yalm to the Shady Guy. Trade it for your nano.
  • Emiel Dijkman. Deliver a box of goodies to the Logistic manager. Reward: Bio Mesh.
  • Wrath of the Leet King
    1. Smash treasure. 3377.3, 570.5
    2. Steal flowers and chocolate in the market (3435, 847) for Leet Princess Reward: Random item to make Basic Armor, such as Sensitive Cybernetic Fingertips. (Used with Light Bio Mesh to make Basic Fashion Gloves.)
Shoulderpads: Either are wearable by neutrals.
  • Clan: Field Commander Ericson (3373, 931) (Assist the Clans 2/3) Put a device on Officer Milne’s Cruiser, located south by Lorelei’s bar, then return. Reward: Clan token, two Joint Clans Shoulderpads, and a Low Level Clans Application Form
  • Omni: Omni-AF Officer Milne (3386, 856): (Assist Omni-Tek 1/3) Arrest Henri Zure. Get the mission and the “OTAF Official Notice”, target one of the Omn-AF privates, right click the item, then lead the private to Henri (3374, 925). Reward: two Omni-Tek Shoulderpads, a token, and an Omni application form.
  • Ring of Power - Ultimate Force
    • Combine ((Ring of power projectiles + ring of power melee) + ring of power elements) + (ring of power physics + ring of power energy)
Last edited by jphn37 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

jphn37
Fresh
Fresh

Post by jphn37 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:52 pm

Reserved

jphn37
Fresh
Fresh

Post by jphn37 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Reserved

Legendfluff
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Legendfluff » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:35 am

Just a few fixes:

For Flint Novak, it's 7 robots/droids ... not specifically Cleaning Robots

For Dr. Mason, you missed saying "Agility shiny"

In the bartender Lorelei's section, you posted "You’re looking for the Greedy Desert Reet" yet you're looking for "Lolly the Reet".. it's just running around in that area.

The range meter no longer buffs crit chance, it's just +10 all inits & +3 all dmg types
Mains: Legendfluff / Kruznik02 / Distractyou ... 1 paid account + 5 Froob accounts. I love to twink froobs more than paid, they're much more enjoyable.

Current project: QL 67-75 Imps + CoH Collar on L5 NT (froob ofc) [On hold]
Completed:
2 Level 15 froobs: NM Agent & NM MP. Both have ql 86-104 implants.

Adaver
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Adaver » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:26 pm

This guide is great.

Ellest
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ellest » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:17 pm

I've been searching all over Arete Landing and I can't find Brandon Thorn. Can you point me in the right direction?

Xaat
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Xaat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Ellest wrote:I've been searching all over Arete Landing and I can't find Brandon Thorn. Can you point me in the right direction?
why are you looking for Brandon Thorn
you'll need to have started a new character before 21 April 2015, Brandon is on Starter Island (Newbie Isle), I don't think there is a Brandon Thorn in Arete, I don't recall that there is anyway

jphn37
Fresh
Fresh

Post by jphn37 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:25 am

Adaver wrote:This guide is great.
Well, thank you very much.
Ellest wrote:I've been searching all over Arete Landing and I can't find Brandon Thorn. Can you point me in the right direction?
Brandon Thorne . . . Oops. That's supposed to say Antonio Stacklund. (3441.4, 834.8) I've fixed it now. He sells the Adaptation Factory for the weapon upgrades and gives quests for tradeskills. Xaat is right, no Brandon.

Adaver
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Adaver » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:09 pm

It's a bit unfortunate but it seems that the best or maybe fastest way to get the Alvin Pad mission items are from the very start of Arete killing Malfunctioning Cleaning Bots.

Rain
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Rain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:51 pm

I disagree.
Droprates for the alvin/dodge parts on either the junkyard outside rome or athens has been increased on a massive scale.

While in Arete even the bosses have a chance to drop the parts, I wouldn't encourage people to grab them.
Inventory space (plus 1 bag) is extremely limited there and the pads arent usable until later.
Camping the parts on the main land would be my recommendation.
The mark of a truly superior player is the use of his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.
Jensenberg | Bureaucrat
Odeleder | Trader
Intellant | Meta-physicist
Smierc | Martial Artist
Nicolaj | Agent
Snaut | Engineer
WeylanYutani | Enforcer

R.I.P Atlantean - THE Raidbot

Xaat
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Xaat » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Rain wrote:I disagree.
Droprates for the alvin/dodge parts on either the junkyard outside rome or athens has been increased on a massive scale.

While in Arete even the bosses have a chance to drop the parts, I wouldn't encourage people to grab them.
Inventory space (plus 1 bag) is extremely limited there and the pads arent usable until later.
I agree with the disagree

but I would not stop a play of either way of getting the parts. How one wants to play or use their time playing is theirs not mine.
If asked, I would say go to Rome, or Newland desert by the crash site, there is also another spot north of Tir south of Totw, those 3 locations are my spots for farming

Adaver
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Adaver » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:58 am

Rain wrote:I disagree.

It takes one bag space, and I had all parts before I was level 4 on the cleaning bots, and we were all teaming and chatting up there.

A win-win imho.

Forgive me, but I disagree with your disagree, since not everyone fills 51 bag slots.

dbouya
Fresh
Fresh

Post by dbouya » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:42 pm

https://aoitems.com/item/303212/arbiters-blessing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This looks really important, is there anyway to get gift of palmario besides the janos quest? I have a lot of characters I made before 2015 who could use such a blessing, is there anyway for them to go to arete? if they've already left into the real world?

Legendfluff
Flagged
Flagged

Post by Legendfluff » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:05 pm

dbouya wrote:https://aoitems.com/item/303212/arbiters-blessing/

This looks really important, is there anyway to get gift of palmario besides the janos quest? I have a lot of characters I made before 2015 who could use such a blessing, is there anyway for them to go to arete? if they've already left into the real world?
This isn't the thread to be asking about this.

As you get this buff by grabbing the missions from ICC. So, yes... any characters can get this buff and no, you can't get this buff in Arete. There's no point in getting this in Arete (even if you could) because it doesn't work there.
They only work in these playfields:
If
Self Playfield == Alien Playfield (Sector 42) Or
Self Playfield == Alien Playfield (Sector 35) Or
Self Playfield == Alien Playfield (Sector 28) Or
Self Playfield == Alien Playfield (Sector 13) Or
Self Playfield == Alien ACG (dng) Or
Self Playfield == Playa del Desierto Or
Self Playfield == Montroyal Or
Self Playfield == Serenity Islands Or
Self Playfield == Indoors playfield Or
Self Playfield == Subway Or
Self Playfield == Inside Entrace, Temple Of The Three Winds

In regards to this;
dbouya wrote:I have a lot of characters I made before 2015 who could use such a blessing, is there anyway for them to go to arete? if they've already left into the real world?
Nope, it's just like ICC Shuttleport; once you've left, you're unable to return.
Mains: Legendfluff / Kruznik02 / Distractyou ... 1 paid account + 5 Froob accounts. I love to twink froobs more than paid, they're much more enjoyable.

Current project: QL 67-75 Imps + CoH Collar on L5 NT (froob ofc) [On hold]
Completed:
2 Level 15 froobs: NM Agent & NM MP. Both have ql 86-104 implants.