Another Trader Weapon Choice Thread...

Litestrider
Rookie
Rookie

Another Trader Weapon Choice Thread...

Post by Litestrider » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:03 pm

Hello, I was hoping someone could make some good alternate weapon suggestions, or maybe just better shotgun suggestions for me. I love everything about the trader profession, but I'm really not all that fond of shotguns. I don't like being crit-reliant, I'd much prefer a very fast weapon that hits for a consistent amount of damage. I'm not terribly worried about damage, and I outright don't care about topping the damage charts, but I also definitely don't want to gimp myself to the point of not being able to solo or contribute meaningfully at all.

My trader is level 60 right now, and on my full account. He's using an untyped Kyr'Ozch shotgun at the moment. As I said, I'd like something fast that can hit several times in between drains, and keep the accumulator proc going. I'd also like a nice, consistent damage, not something that has a 1-300 damage range or that relies entirely on crits to deal decent damage. I plan on leveling slowly, and doing a lot of playing with close friends and soloing, and I also plan on doing absolutely no PvP whatsoever. It doesn't interest me in the least.

Edit: Thought it might be worth mentioning that he's a nanomage.

So if you have any suggestions that are effective, fun, or just downright cool-looking, I'd love to hear them.

Ar1z
Skilled
Skilled

Re: Another Trader Weapon Choice Thread...

Post by Ar1z » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Cheapest and best option would be... pistols ;)

fast and good pistols are
engi pistol, cdr, electronicum and IS pistol are fast (need about 300 RI)

very buffable too (+20 expertise, +40 soldier, +120 engi)

Rifles are almost like shotguns (crits and slow) but you get an extra +50 to +120 buff if you team with agents/soldiers ;)

Then smgs are fast but not much dmg or outside buffs

Sol chironis or OT kerans

lastly assault Rifle, XCI-52 eradicator is a very fast fling only weapon that is fast and has high crit (buffable from soldiers up to +60)

Some traders go MA or melee.
Arenas (lvl 199 Sol Omni Agent) / Zarenas (lvl 200 NM Neutral Engineer)
Kengin (lvl 154 Opi Neutral Engineer) / Nanolaser (lvl 100 NM Clan Soldier)
Obefix (lvl 69 Trox Neutral Fixer) / Arones (lvl 50 NM Neutral crat)
Bestsella (lvl 50 Sol Neutral trader)
Pocket buffing toons: NMenfo, Docaris, Metaphysto

WeeScotsman
Hardened
Hardened

Post by WeeScotsman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:15 am

I`d agree with the pistols here..... they do look downright cool. and a sol k-91 paired with a CDR does good damage (but not too much to be snowed by aggro when teaming).

I was toying with the idea of sol k-94s for the burst and the split requirement isnt too much of a problem being a trader and all.

my higher level trader is piercing with an improved tango dirk and slayerdroid crystal claw and does very nice damage but I think you`d want to avoid the damage and taking aggro as a nanomage.

Finally shotguns are pretty cool....but unfortunately the maw of the abyss has a MBS of 1200 and towards endgame starts to make you feel a little gimp.

Litestrider
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Litestrider » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:22 am

The pistols are a great idea that I hadn't even considered. I didn't realize that the engineer pistol wasn't engineer-only! I'm heavily considering this, especially since one of my friends is an engineer and likely has some of the components for a mender pistol sitting around. I've also played a pistol adventurer to some degree, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm also very interested in the piercing route. I've heard a lot about ITDs in general, and they seem a very nice weapon, and I love the look of some of the piercing weapons (energy rapiers and whatnot). Would the problem really be in dealing too much damage? That doesn't sound like a terrible problem to have, particularly when you try to solo.

I've got one question about either of these weapon choices. Does the extra IP not swamp you? Right now I'm using a plain jane a shotgun (untyped Kyr'Ozch), and at 60 I'm still being nickled and dimed to death by having to spend IP in a thousand blue(ish) skills. Will this ship right itself approaching TL4 like fixers and agents do, letting me use weapons needing multi melee/ranged and brawl/fling/burst/etc without worrying about where my next point of psycho mod is going to come from?

WeeScotsman
Hardened
Hardened

Post by WeeScotsman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:05 am

Wouldn`t worry to much about IP pistol wise as iP frees up loads at TL 4 and a cdr offhand has a low fling and the burst can easily be buffed to just meet minimum oe rules. (does the cdr with burst and proc beat a 110 sol k-91 in offhand?)

I wouldnt bother using and making the engi pistol as you go....it is good but not that good at lower levels and pouring xp into ME will be tough on you....rather I`d make it once i hit lvl 190 and choose whether or not to do an IP reset.

I see that you aren`t froob so there maybe a lot more options open to you ...like those jobe pisols

have fun

Anlryu
Fresh
Fresh

Post by Anlryu » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm

I think as a non-froob trader you should just follow the kyr type1 shotguns, and maybe try to get specials sometimes like salabims, upgraded vektor, ect... then ofab and end with the LoX shotgun I still don't have name in minds...

But I used to play a SL trader (Volumic) and about any expension shotguns are boring by their perfect regular output, plus teams don't care about your dd they just care about your umbral (yes, that's true)

Any other IP invest in other skills will be a waste, except if you go MA, you can stay MA only an later get weapons like dreadloch shensticks if you have LE Blades of Boltar if you just have AI, those work great. Fling shot is also good if you go shotgun, AS waste can be avoided by a 275 scope.

Pistol & MR waste is only good for buffing pistols, if you ever need and can't implant.

If I ever had to choose anything else than shotgun (with or without expensions) I would go for MA/MA combined weapon, just for the fun of it.

Good luck