What weapon should I get for MA?

Yurdle
Seasoned
Seasoned

What weapon should I get for MA?

Post by Yurdle » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:15 pm

I'm thinking of making a new MA (new characters AGAIN) or resetting my old one and try out MA melee weapons.

I know it's not recommended, since unarmed is the way to go, but this is for personal preference, so no flames or suggestions about not doing this PLEASE. I'm not sure what is good though.

The only thing I can think of are the Hazangerine Claws and the Parry Sticks.

Or, should I try out bows, since their skill is green/cheap for MA's?

I'm not sure how far I'll go in this, so weapons I can use at up to say, lvl 25, is good (without having to do fancy twinking stuff..). If you know a good weapon, please say so, and maybe some other useful info like where to get em, rollable or not, etc.

Right now I have 2 QL 10 parry sticks.
It's me, Yurdle the Turtle! But who cares, the real problem are the endangered turtles/tortoises:

http://www.cccturtle.org/

<<Stopped playing AO for more than a year now...I don't have plans on coming back, but around summer...maybe I'll come back..who knows...and maybe I'll fix/update my guides too!>>

hellscream
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by hellscream » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:18 pm

Bow is used only for the aimed shot, the normal shots of the bow don't do great dmg like ur fists. i think parry sticks are a better option, because they got some usefull mods.
HELLSCREAMX LVL 200 AGENT ON RK2

im now a heck noob .... some one help me out with SL plx

Hass
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Hass » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:44 pm

Yurdle
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Yurdle » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:08 am

What was the point of that? Already read that quite a long time ago, even posted in it.
It's me, Yurdle the Turtle! But who cares, the real problem are the endangered turtles/tortoises:

<<Stopped playing AO for more than a year now...I don't have plans on coming back, but around summer...maybe I'll come back..who knows...and maybe I'll fix/update my guides too!>>

Hass
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Hass » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:08 am

weapon suggestions there.

Yurdle
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Yurdle » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:35 pm

Hmm, guess I'll try out the parry sticks? I'm gonna have to find QL 11-20 if I do stick to it.

Comi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Comi » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:37 pm

Go with no weapon, best option for froob MA
Comi's Dreadloch service (now taking orders!)

Rubi-Ka 2 (Rimor) ExFr00b elite

Tarradax
Wordbearer

Post by Tarradax » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:21 am

Yurdle wrote:Hmm, guess I'll try out the parry sticks? I'm gonna have to find QL 11-20 if I do stick to it.
Parry sticks are an interesting tradeoff - You'll be gimping your damage some, but you'll be gaining evades (+100 per stick at QL200) and that might be worth considering. If you want to be doing as much damage as possible, though, forget about the sticks. Slapping things around is much more efficient.
Ye' Olde Fixer Guide, By Me.

/Tarradax, Proud Owner of Questionable Morals.
/Baene, It's Like A Beanbag Chair. With a Gun. And a Temper.
/Bonekrakka, Get Your Choppas Ready, Boyz! Time For A WAAAAAAGH!
/Happythought, Hand-Made Silk Kites! Beautiful Strings!
/Littleshank, Choose Difficulty: []Hard []Medium []Easy []Very Easy [X]Atrox Melee Adventurer.

Completely Unrelated To Anything Link

Ilo
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Ilo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:40 am

2nd time I say this... no weapons except your fists :)
RK2:
Ilonaya - lv155 Engi
Yuilan - lv112 MP
Waterfly - lv80 Trader
Yuifan - lv70 Soldier
Alentene - lv51 Advy
Ayamea - lv50 MA
Unohana - lv44 Doc
Arysa - lv32 NT

If only I had someone to play with...

hahnsoo
Elite
Elite

Post by hahnsoo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:03 am

I'm wondering about the reading comprehension skills of the above posters:
I know it's not recommended, since unarmed is the way to go, but this is for personal preference, so no flames or suggestions about not doing this PLEASE. I'm not sure what is good though.
The original poster KNOWS that weapons aren't recommended. But this poster is pursuing the road less traveled, which is commendable. Pretentious snide remarks about superiority of a certain playstyle aren't helpful for this person.

I'd go for the Claws, personally, but they (and the Parry Sticks) are difficult to find. You'll be trading off damage per hit (Claws, on average, will do less damage than fists) and IP cost (because you have to invest in both Multi-Melee and Piercing) for speed (paired claws + MA attack is much faster than MA attack alone). It's a good experiment to try out, especially if you've played a vanilla MA before.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Comi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Comi » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:05 am

We not goin to reccomend someone to self-gimp themselve ..
Comi's Dreadloch service (now taking orders!)

Rubi-Ka 2 (Rimor) ExFr00b elite

Yurdle
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by Yurdle » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:12 pm

hahnsoo wrote:I'm wondering about the reading comprehension skills of the above posters:
The original poster KNOWS that weapons aren't recommended. But this poster is pursuing the road less traveled, which is commendable. Pretentious snide remarks about superiority of a certain playstyle aren't helpful for this person.

FINALLY someone realizes what I'm looking for.

And for the other posters: I know you don't want to screw me up, (Or what people now say "gimp") but really, this is just an experimental character for fun, and like I said, it's personal preference.

Alright, so now I am pretty sure parry sticks and claws are a "go" now. Thanks for help. I'll have to depend on luck to find higher QL ones (or even just any QL of a claw)

Shaggy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shaggy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 pm

I once dueled a Shottie MA.

If that statement makes you want to laugh then you obviously haven't been on the receiving end of six crits in a row from some of the highest critting weapons in the game.

There are quite a few troubles going that path. High IP, low returns unless you optimize your settup, 'crit dependant, etc. Just one of those "Wait, what the..." class/weapon combos.

Xpheyel
Hardened
Hardened

Post by Xpheyel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:27 pm

Well, the way I see it, the point of using weapons is to go for more crits by going for more rolls while sacrificing some Attack Rating. Lower chance of crit per hit but possibly a greater likelihood of additional criticals over a span of time.

For a new toon, I can tell you that Parry Sticks will be insanely slow. I wouldn't think of trying those until you have substantial initiative.

Claws also aren't very practical until at least ql 35 or so, before that you need higher MA for combined attack than MA skill to equip the items.

I, personally, have found Claws very hard to roll. I've had Hazangerine in my clicksaver list for a while and its only turned up two or three times. If you want to experiment with the combo, I'd be most concerned with keeping up the quality level of the Claws.

Axela
ModSquad
ModSquad

Post by Axela » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:55 pm

Hmm.. Late last year, when I was reading guides and stuff, I stumbled upon this site

Chronita's Martial Artist Compendium
http://users.adelphia.net/~chronita/index.htm

I think it is a good informative site. Although it may not have been updated, the information still pretty much useful for froobs :) I really like the weapons sections as it talks about advantages and the disadvantages, lists out the possible weapons that are good and the max QL and esp how the damage mechanics are. There hasnt been much updates on weapons for classic AO, so I am guessing most info are very relevant and good read too.